Sign in to follow this  
rakpak

Adapting ATV tracks

rakpak

Has anyone tried adapting ATV tracks to their tractor?

Attached Image

post-3-1235090458.gif

TT

I have yet to see that modification on a Wheel Horse, but there are a few crawler conversions floating around.

That's not really a new gimmick, you know?

The Full Crawler Company was installing track kits on tractors 95 years ago. :thumbs:

fullcrawler.jpg

rakpak

Yes I have seen some of the older large tractors with tracks, I just thought these would be nice for moving snow. There are many different brands, most have around a 30% gear reduction. I found one set set that has no gear reduction.

I guess if no one has done it to a Wheelhorse, it would be a new thing.

CasualObserver

Well... there were these that we talked about just the other day in the snow tractor thread. They're basically just a full size tractor tire with the sidewalls cut off and stretched into being a track. Do they count?

modified.jpg

(photo credits to C-Series14)

rakpak

I like the one with the augers on it, seen the video of the Fordson that someone else had posted. Pretty cool.

kpinnc

I haven't tried this, but looked into it for a while. The ATV setups are nice, but very expensive.

You may want to look at some of the micro-tracks used on mini backhoes, etc... They seem to be somewhat closer to the sizes that could be adapted to a Wheel Horse. I abandoned the idea because of the costs involved with such a project.

New tracks of any size are insanely expensive, but the number one wear issue with them is not the tread getting worn off- It's the fact that they stretch over time to the point that the slack can no longer be adjusted from whatever machine they are on. Point being, if the project machine is a custom, you can build it to suit an otherwise unusable set of tracks. They are traded in just like a set of used tires when replaced. Many construction equipment rental places have them. You'll just have to ask around.

Good luck!

Kevin

rakpak

Yes, just two tracks would be in the $1500 range. And unlike dozer tracks, there is no tension adjustments to take up slack, the ones that I have looked at anyway. But if you only used them to move snow they should last quite a while.

Rollerman

It be interesting :whistle: if nothing else.

Like Kevin mentioned...The cost for a pair of conversion tracks is pretty expensive.

The increased ground clearance would also have to be delt with.

You'd have to run either longer spindles, larger tires or a large frame hi clearance front axle modified in front to level it out.

Then your snow plow is going to be hanging down there at a weird angle.

To be honest...I think the idea is pretty cool in a Mad Max sorta way. :whistle:

Hey if I buy a good lottery ticket maybe I'll do this too. :thumbs:

Stigian

I say, go for it if your thinking of building it :whistle: :thumbs: