Ed Kennell

Troy Bilt GTX 20

Ed Kennell

I spotted one of these for sale today.   Has a cab w/glass window and wiper and SS blower that looks like it was used on a stone road.  Also rear 3PT, chains and weights.   550 hrs on the meter. no deck.

Sorry, no pics yet.    Any opinions on value, dependability, engine, and transmission.   $1400

• Like 1

slim67

I googled that tractor and it looks pretty stout. I wonder who the jobber was on that? Troybilt tillers were the ones to have but I never seen a tractor that heavy with their name on it. 

Bolens_by_Troy-Bilt_GTX20_-_1998.jpg

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I believe Bolens did the design and build Slim.

• Like 3

slim67
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I believe Bolens did the design and build Slim.

Nothing wrong with that. Let us know if you get it. Id like to see it.

Cvans

They were originally built by Bolens and known as the GT2000 or Dura-Trac. The twenty horse power tractor came with cruise control, Dual hydraulics, power (hydraulic) steering, and high and low range. They are an excellent machine. I have two of these converted to diesel. One with a loader and one converted to a Simplicity deck. On the mower the Hydro finally expired which was partially my fault. :-(

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

slim67
6 hours ago, Cvans said:

They were originally built by Bolens and known as the GT2000 or Dura-Trac. The twenty horse power tractor came with cruise control, Dual hydraulics, power (hydraulic) steering, and high and low range. They are an excellent machine. I have two of these converted to diesel. One with a loader and one converted to a Simplicity deck. On the mower the Hydro finally expired which was partially my fault. :-(

It's funny you mentioned Simplicity. I had a thought that that tractor was made by them. 

• Like 2

Sarge

I had always wondered who made those as I have seen one around here locally on a trailer a few times - it is a beast of a machine for sure . Didn't know it had full hydraulics - that's pretty wild . Never took the time to research them as this is the only one I've ever seen - I'd imagine it's price tag prevented very high production numbers .

Sarge

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
16 hours ago, Cvans said:

What was the stock 20 HP engine?    I didn't get back to check it out yet.   Some dummy left the state inspection expire on his truck, so he's stuck w/o wheels till tomorrow.

• Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed Kennell  Ed I told you that you were too busy or did you have a senior moment ?

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Ed Kennell  Ed I told you that you were too busy or did you have a senior moment ?

Both Jim,  but I blame it on my obsession with hunting for that deer for 6 weeks.   Maybe now I can get back to  taking care of business.

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed Kennell Last evening just before dusk looking out of my kitchen window I saw two does and two yearlings  jump my fence in the backyard and start hunting for acorns. Before I could get the camera they jumped another fence and started grazing in my neighbors yard. Not sure where the buck is hiding , haven't seen him in a few days. He is no where the size of your big boy. Just started wearing hearing aids and they don't help my reading or righting. Any plans for a new project tractor for the Big Show ?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
8 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

. Any plans for a new project tractor for the Big Show ?

I kinda promised to build Mrs. K a :wh: golf cart for her to use to ride to the pool at the campground  this summer.    I picked up an 875 this summer that has a good Kohler and Sundstrand which is what I need for the rear engine power train.    The tin is pretty rough, but I'm just not sure I want to sacrifice it for a custom.     If I build it, the Big Show may be the test run.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

slim67
14 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I kinda promised to build Mrs. K a :wh: golf cart for her to use to ride to the pool at the campground  this summer.    I picked up an 875 this summer that has a good Kohler and Sundstrand which is what I need for the rear engine power train.    The tin is pretty rough, but I'm just not sure I want to sacrifice it for a custom.     If I build it, the Big Show may be the test run.

Are you looking at a gas or an electric golf cart?

Cvans
18 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

What was the stock 20 HP engine?    I didn't get back to check it out yet.   Some dummy left the state inspection expire on his truck, so he's stuck w/o wheels till tomorrow.

Both mine came with Kohler 20hp magnums.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, slim67 said:

Are you looking at a gas or an electric golf cart?

Gas, probably a 8 HP Kohler mounted behind a Sundstrand Hydro. with a shortened hood and a stretched seat/fender pan.

• Like 1

slim67
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Gas, probably a 8 HP Kohler mounted behind a Sundstrand Hydro. with a shortened hood and a stretched seat/fender pan.

interesting

953 nut
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

a shortened hood and a stretched seat/fender pan.

Will it be a side by side? 

5a2b262740ca1_Applecountry2016062.JPG.7d1215ee3d4e8c5f001205a329c2d51e.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

That's the plan Richard.  But I know It won't look 1/2 that good.

I was thinking rear engine, but I kinda like this design.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

953 nut
35 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I was thinking rear engine, but I kinda like this design.

Member @turnnleft built it, he and his grandson make quite a few shows including the past couple Big Shows. his work is outstanding.5a2b4eecc7276_applecountry2017034.JPG.19dce4fb2deff6b662918d9a2f1b40ea.JPG

5a2b4e8cb9ac8_applecountry2017035.JPG.1e5bb4b13b673feb5efed97451f9efa1.JPG

• Like 4

mmmmmdonuts

Ed,

I have a Troy-Bilt GTX 18, with a 3pt hitch, a 60" mower and ~800 hours on it. I am currently working on building a FEL for it and progress is being shown on a different site. It is a serious garden tractor. A factory available FEL was available for it, it had power steering, and auxiliary hydraulics. It was in between the large frame and medium frame bolens series. I see them going anywhere from $800-$3000 around here on attachments and various implements.

Things to look for that are hard to replace or are extremely expensive:

1) Power steering cylinder leaking. I don't think you can replace the cylinder and it is hard to find

2) The PTO with the larger mower deck or snowblower can go. It is a $200-$300 part to replace.

Otherwise breaking down the price:

Snowblower - single stage $400, dual $500-$700

3pt hitch - $300 - $400

Cab (Hard top? ) - $300

Weights and chains - $50

Before the tractor which is fairly low hours your looking at $1000- $1400 roughly in attachments alone based on what I have seen them for.

I love this tractor and it is much bigger and stronger than my 1968 Raider 12.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Thanks for the input @mmmmmdonuts     I   haven't  gotten back to check it out....maybe tomorrow.

Cvans
6 hours ago, mmmmmdonuts said:

1) Power steering cylinder leaking. I don't think you can replace the cylinder and it is hard to find

Any competent Hydraulic shop should be able to reseal that cylinder for you.  

• Like 1

Chuck60

I need a deck kit for hanging that mower under my GTX 20 1995. Any ideas?

mmmmmdonuts

Chuck, which deck do you have. The 48 or the 60. They are mounted differently as the 60 rolls on casters and the 48 hangs differently.  There are different manuals on http://sonnybolenstractors.com/ this site if you have serial number and should give you some part numbers to maybe purchase. If you have the 60 I can take some pictures or measurements to fabricate something as needed.