cschannuth

FEL Build for 520

WNYPCRepair

Nice work!  Pat yourself on the back for painting it before using. 

I finished mine and decided to move the giant load of mulch before taking it off and painting it, since the mulch had been sitting waiting for me to finish. 

So far I have moved roughly 70 yards of material, and it still isn't painted.  Someday I will find the time to take it back off, clean it and paint it. The funny part is the only rust is on the welds. Whatever that coating on the steel is protects it fairly well.

• Thanks 1

bds1984

Nice 520 FEL and P71.  For a split second I thought it was a Marauder.  Is the P71 your tow rig?

• Thanks 1

Sarge

To clean those internal threaded holes - go hunt down some plumbing brushes, they work excellent and will drag any debris right out. Seems those are a bit stiffer and tougher than most and come in several pipe sizes.

Sarge

• Thanks 1

cschannuth
1 hour ago, bds1984 said:

Nice 520 FEL and P71.  For a split second I thought it was a Marauder.  Is the P71 your tow rig?

I’ve always wanted a Marauder and my son found this on a purple wave auction site.  It was a detective car in a suburb of Kansas City and had all of the scheduled service done and the records to prove it so it is a very solid car.  Other than the holes for antennas and all the holes inside from the police equipment being removed it looks pretty nice, especially at a distance. I had the Mustang tires and wheels so I put those on there and it does have a Marauder feel to it. We just use the car as our grocery getter and for some trips  to keep the miles off of my wife’s vehicle.  

cschannuth
1 minute ago, Sarge said:

To clean those internal threaded holes - go hunt down some plumbing brushes, they work excellent and will drag any debris right out. Seems those are a bit stiffer and tougher than most and come in several pipe sizes.

Sarge

Thanks, Sarge. That’s a great idea and I already have plumbing brushes. 

Sarge

You're welcome, enjoyed the FEL build thread - nice job, btw.

I do a lot of mechanical/welding repairs here, those brushes are a life saver. I need to pick up some of that thread sealant myself, my old bottles are no good from sitting too long and I need to get the new temperature gauge sending unit into the D's hydraulic pump. 

Sarge

• Thanks 1

bds1984
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

I’ve always wanted a Marauder and my son found this on a purple wave auction site.  It was a detective car in a suburb of Kansas City and had all of the scheduled service done and the records to prove it so it is a very solid car.  Other than the holes for antennas and all the holes inside from the police equipment being removed it looks pretty nice, especially at a distance. I had the Mustang tires and wheels so I put those on there and it does have a Marauder feel to it. We just use the car as our grocery getter and for some trips  to keep the miles off of my wife’s vehicle.  

I would like a Marauder as well.  I have a 2005 CV LX Sport with 2008 Mustang GT wheels on it.  It is pretty much a Marauder (interior, color, and sound) but with a few less HP and has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.  Here is a pic from 2010.

CVLXSPORT.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

cschannuth
3 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

I would like a Marauder as well.  I have a 2005 CV LX Sport with 2008 Mustang GT wheels on it.  It is pretty much a Marauder (interior, color, and sound) but with a few less HP and has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.  Here is a pic from 2010.

CVLXSPORT.jpg

I love that car. They are a lot of fun to drive and handle more like a sports car than you would imagine. 

Walnut

Nice build. What are the dimensions and gauge metal of your bucket?

cschannuth
On 10/11/2018 at 8:58 AM, Walnut said:

Nice build. What are the dimensions and gauge metal of your bucket?

Did you get the information I sent you?

TJ5208

I'm digging those tires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cschannuth
On 6/6/2018 at 9:45 PM, WHX?? said:

When you want me to come down pick it up!??!?!? :handgestures-thumbupright:

I just went back and saw this. Pretty prophetic words if you ask me…

• Haha 2

WHX??

Just reread the whole thing again cover to cover @cschannuth. You don't mind Craig I'd like to swipe some of your build pics for my files. 

Thanks for digging this out the basement TJ.:handgestures-thumbupright: 

Tires are Carlisle Tru Powers in what size Craig?  Vredersteins V61's in 18.50 - 8 on the front 

2 hours ago, cschannuth said:

I just went back and saw this. Pretty prophetic words if you ask me…

LOL back then it was a joke whoda thunk a couple years later!

BTW I had a couple of nice offers on it.

Was working it down by the road last fall and a guy stopped and said name my price. Pretty much told him to pack sand ...in a nicer way tho! 

@whtractors24 got a woody for it too but did tell him to take a hike too! 

Dan @Achto was over last nite messin around and came up with some good ideas for a ballast & chain box. 'Course his ideas always involve drilling holes in tractors! 

Pics of it happening when the weather breaks and I can get at it. 

20211009_162552.jpg

Hey what's up with this tho?? .... no you ain't gonna get it back! :lol:

Craig in mid-Missouri

606 Predator swap,  '67 Lawn Ranger, '68 Charger 12,  '78 C-161 Twin,  '94 520H w/FEL 

Edited by WHX??
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

Achto
16 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

'Course his ideas always involve drilling holes in tractors! 

:ROTF:

In my defense the holes would not be in the tractor its self. Sides, I keep tellin' Jim that I have a welder and a grinder that can fix any hole in metal.:D

• Haha 5

TJ5208

What size is the back tires?

WHX??

23-10.50 x 12 TJ 

I went back and edited that in but didn't click save... :hide:

Most Tru Powers have their size molded in between the ag treads.

TJ5208
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

23-10.50 x 12 TJ 

I went back and edited that in but didn't click save... :hide:

Most Tru Powers have their size molded in between the ag treads.

I seen it between the treads but I couldn't read it. How do you like the Tru Powers?

Edited by TJ Salyers

cschannuth
10 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Just reread the whole thing again cover to cover @cschannuth. You don't mind Craig I'd like to swipe some of your build pics for my files

I don’t mind a bit!

WHX??
23 hours ago, TJ Salyers said:

How do you like the Tru Powers?

I like them but one of the more pricey tires out there outside of Firestone 23's.  The thing I really like about them is the strait sidewalls on stock WH rims. Deestones and other budget tires seem to bulge abit on certain rims but still perform well.  It's really all a matter of looks and not performance.

As with any tires loading them and rear weights help. 

For a tire on a budget can't beat Hy-Runs. I have a set on a plow mule and get lots of complements in the field. They do run abit wide tho. I live in sand country and they out actually out  perform TP's in this type of soil. 

Little off topic but Craig won't mine. Your interested in tires subject TJ some really good threads here on them.

20190921_192712-2.jpg

20180111_170609-1.jpg

Edited by WHX??
Wrong pic
  • Excellent 2

KrazeyOlDave

You did an excellent job! 

I build one on my 310-8, it does ok. I just purchased a 520H and will be making a new fel for it.

My 310 build

Edited by KrazeyOlDave
  • Excellent 1

TJ5208

@cschannuth Do you like the fronts on the 520?

cschannuth
5 minutes ago, TJ Salyers said:

@cschannuth Do you like the fronts on the 520?

@WHX?? has it now but I liked the fronts a lot. I bought them because I could air them up with a lot of pressure and they had, if I remember correctly, over double the load capacity of any of the other tires.

• Like 2

WHX??

18 x 8.50 x 8 Vredersteins  TJ ....A very beefy tire. 6 ply if I remember right.  I do notice they turn a bit harder than 16 6.50s s I have on a 520 with a very heavy deuce on the front. 

• Like 1

TJ5208
3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

18 x 8.50 x 8 Vredersteins  TJ ....A very beefy tire. 6 ply if I remember right.  I do notice they turn a bit harder than 16 6.50s s I have on a 520 with a very heavy deuce on the front. 

I was thinking about getting 16 6 50s do you have any pics of them. Do the 18s unlevel the tractor? 

WHX??
14 minutes ago, TJ Salyers said:

Do the 18s unlevel the tractor?

No not at all.... lemme dig for some pics. 

Here Ya go --- when I ran a single on it. 

for what you are using your 520 for I would go with the 16's . Bit more affordable too. 

Be advised all V-61s requires the use of a tube but no problems there. 

https://www.millertire.com/16x6-50-8-v61-hd-5-rib-170-60-8-implement-tire-6-ply/

20190919_183313.jpg

20181130_170925.jpg

20191117_200840.jpg

I also have them on a 1055 mounted on wider Cub style rims. 

20200922_190711.jpg

20200922_190951.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1