Sign in to follow this  
Nick

MaineDad, Farmall Cub

Nick

Micah, Congratulations on finding that nice Farmall Cub. Did you get any original attachments with the tractor or do you plan on a 3pt hitch conversion to use modern equipment? Either way it should work well in your garden. :thumbs:

Brought your picture over from the classifieds.

CubSideView.jpg

For 4 years I mowed around 5 to 10 acres a week and went tractor pulling with a 1952 Allis Chalmers CA. The old farm tractors just run forever. :whistle:

CA002.jpg

MaineDad

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the post. The Cub comes with a plow/grader blade. I will buy a land plow and disc harrow for it hopefully soon. I have been looking for a long time for the right deal on a Cub and could not pass this one up.

I'll post some pics when I get her home. Nice AC BTW!

Micah

wh500special

Nice tractor.

Nothing runs as smoothly as a good condition Cub. 60 cubic inches, 4 little cylinders, and 9 horsepower that sound like an electric sewing machine.

We had a '51 Cub and dad used it as his primary mowing tractor for a few years on his 5 acre yard. It had a 42" Bush Hog belly mounted finish mower and it was a real load on that sucker.

Sure ran smooth and quiet though. Great little tractors.

We also had the front/mid blade and a plow for it too. When you hunt for your plow MAKE SURE you get the extra angling/positioning lever that bolts to the left side drop gearbox on the back of the tractor. After you reverse the drawbar and connect the plow the lever holds the drawbar in position and sets the digging angle for the plow itself.

As far as I know, the lever serves no other purpose but they often get separated from the plows when sold. It will work without it since you have hydraulics, but it makes it much more efficient and "hands off" when in operation.

The front/mid blade works wonderfully on gravel when mounted in the middle position on the tractor. It's a heavy blade and you can even use a chain (instead of the solid lift link) and still get good results.

You might want to hang a wheel weight on the right side only to stabilize it a bit if you have any hills.

Have fun with that little guy!

Steve

T-Mo

Nice tractor, Micah.

I would also like to find a good Cub, preferably the round hood type. A Cub, or a John Deere M, H, or 40.

BTW, not to get off-topic, but has anyone seen the New Holland Boomer 8N?

http://www.the8n.com/index.htm

Nick

I see Steve mentioned wheel weights. I was also going to mention you might want to look into weights but guess you will know more when you get her home and test her out in the garden. :whistle:

Couple videos of farmalls working:

The 2 engines together sound great.

T-Mo, I had not seen that Boomer 8N. Im not sure how it will sell but it looks darn good to me. Guess the retro car look has moved into tractors now. Maybe next Toro will release a C-315-H. :thumbs: Of all the old JD tractors I'd have to agree any one of the M, 40 or H would be a nice find. Have to like the sound of those little engines working. :whistle: I think some of the 40s had the same 24" spin out wheels used on my ole CA Allis.

perry

nice lookin farmall :thumbs: . you cant beat a old IH for farming :whistle: . a cub is definitly on my list, but would love to get ahold of a IH 1066 :whistle: .

MaineDad

Hey guys,

My 1952 Farmall Cub was delivered this morning. Here are a few pictures;

CubFront.jpg

CubRear2.jpg

CubSide.jpg

Now I have two "Round Hoods" - 1963 Wheel Horse 753 and a 1952 Farmall Cub :thumbs:

Nick

That is a nice looking tractor, the paint job must be fairly new. The tires even have good tread on them. :thumbs:

Mith

Congratulations Micah, thats a fine looking tractor!

Careful though, these antiques are just as addictive as the smaller machines, but much harder to hide from the 'other half' :thumbs:

Rollerman

Look great Micah...your going to have fun turning your garden with it.

I had a 53 for awhile...like to find another, but I hate giveing up Horses to make room.

MaineDad

Congratulations Micah, thats a fine looking tractor!

Careful though, these antiques are just as addictive as the smaller machines, but much harder to hide from the 'other half' :whistle:

She just shook her head as I parked it in the garage :thumbs:

Operator

Nice tractor, 3 ribs and all.

Did you ride around the yard with the theme music from "Green Acres" going through your mind? :thumbs:

Chain smiley is gone now :whistle:

Randy