Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Deck rebuild-48"

Sarge

Ok , back on my feet and finally some time to work on the deck -

Big corner patch right at the height mount bracket , of course...

1236637602.jpg

Welded in and repaired another crack that showed up -

1236650591.jpg

Should be able to make the curved patch on the opposite end tomorrow.

Sarge

WHC-125

You inspired me to work on my 48 in deck so, I started to tear my 48 in deck apart today and it has no rot, it was just the chute that had rot so I took it off and sanded the shell down and hopefully I will paint it up this weekend. All I have to do is get a coule cracks welded and it will be all set.

Sarge

Just a note about cracks-

I've had some mixed luck welding up cracks like this before , some held but most just cracked further or next to the old one due to flex . Lately, any cracks welded in stuff like this gets a hole drilled at the end of the crack then plug-welded . Seems to make quie a difference .

Finished making a few t-dollies to form up the rolled edge on the left side , starting that tomorrow .

Sarge

WHC-125

Sarge, :thumbs: for the info, I will let you know how I make out when I get it welded up

iicap

Sarge nice job your doin. Question on the square holes in the new patches. are you drilling a hole and filing square, or do you have some kinda punch kit? Don't recall you saying anything on it in this thread. Thanks

KyBlue

Since its not perfectly Square, I'd say that hes drilled the hole, and then used something to square it up a bit.

Sarge - Lookin good, Nice patchwork!!!

Sarge

The holes are drilled then cut out with an air saw for now- just a rough-in . I'll dress them up with a file prior to painting . Really considering making the end bolts welded-in studs instead to prevent grass buildup/rust .

This last patch is being a real pain, too many compound bends at once and steel being used is pretty hard despite softening it . May need to reheat it and slow cool it in sand tomorrow for better workability .

C-Series14

Thanks to this post Sarge, I got up some energy and decided to repair the hole in my deck. It is the left side one, right on the corner. I have an old deck that was cut up by the p.o. so I cut out the bad section on the good deck, laid it over the corner on the donor deck, cut it oversized, and then trimmed to fit the deck. Well, for my first time, it is welded in and probably not gonna fall out! Didn't fill the gap too good in one spot so had to weld up that area...

My welding isn't pretty but so far, everything I have done is still together! :whistle:

Thanks for giving me energy... :thumbs:

sorekiwi

My welding isn't pretty but so far, everything I have done is still together! :thumbs:

I use the motto: "If you cant weld at all, weld it all!" :whistle:

C-Series14

I hear ya!!! :thumbs:

jeepcreepcj

Have you done any more work to the deck? I am interested to see how it is coming along. It looks very professional so far.

Sarge

Not too much lately, had so many things going at once ....time to them all done is getting tight too .

Been trying to finish these up -

1239763064.jpg

1239764274.jpg

Need to find another matching set of these ring style weights , anyone have a set they can part with??

Sarge