Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Deck rebuild-48"

Sarge

Well, picked up an old 81-83 series 48" deck, #05-48MS02 - 41789 . Sad looking shape, although most of the metal is actually pretty good -

1234839428.jpg

1234839444.jpg

1234839495.jpg

1234839481.jpg

One spindle housing is junk, got some spares the other day from the same guy . It will also need the bushings for the deck belt adjuster bracket, set of guage wheels and a whole set of anti-scalp wheels and blades . Overall, the metal is in pretty decent shape . I also plan to address the weak points in the baffles and main stamping to keep it from flexing so much on bumps . That, and I may try to change how some of the bolts are fixed , keep them from holding grass/moisture and creating problems . Probably some welded plate studs if I have time ...

I'll post up more pics as the build progresses.

Sarge

Rideawaysenior

Curious to see your repair process Sarge. I come by a few of them in that shape my self. Never jump on them through mostly because I wouldn't know where to begin with the metal repair in such cases.

Sarge

The metal repair is the easy part- finding the correct manuals/drawings has been the bad part for me . Anyone that has welded the sheetmetal on a Samurai will find these decks a cake walk, trust me on this ... :thumbs:

I'd just like to spend days welding decks, holes in stuff that don't belong there (read-vintage hoods) , find it very relaxing ....

Sarge

TJ

I would like to see the progress pictures on this one too.

I had the same kind of rust on my 654 mower deck, but it was all flat stock, and 90 degree welded angles. All you had to do was cut to good metal, and weld in a new piece. A little grinding and bondo and it looks like new.

Keep the pictures coming. :thumbs:

Sarge

Ok -

Deck stripped this afternoon, ready for patch work -

1234848672.jpg

My metalworking toy-Miller 200DX Tig/stick

1234847938.jpg

BTW-if anyone uses a tig and haven't upgraded their cup nozzles , check out HTP's Pyrex glass shield cups and gas diffuser screen setups , makes a world of difference in gas usage/shield quality . Especially outdoors !!! Also, you can look right through the Pyrex cup when working in tight spaces - sweeeet ...

HTP

I'll try tomorrow and see if we can do an action shot of the patchwork .

Sarge

Bow_Extreme

I'm jealous. I'll take the welder, how much? :thumbs:

fritz

Well since you like welding decks so much Mr. Sarge, I got three of them I will send your way. :thumbs: Would you please post pictures of your progress so us un experienced people know how it kinda should look like?? Please. Thank you.

Devin

WHC-125

My 48 inch deck has a little rot right their but its nothing major. I would like to see how you fix it. I hope to have mine all fixed and give it some paint. :thumbs:

Country Cadillac

Hey Sarge... I started the exact same project today myself. Got some cracks on the back of the deck where the brackets mount and a couple on the front where the wheels mount, but all in all not bad. Will finsih disassembly tomorrow and then I'll have to bring it to a friend to borrow his mig welder and do the patching. But your right , no big deal on the welding, thats the fun part, if your a welder. I've used the defuser screens for years on pipe welding and they are the cats ...... Tig welding is what I do for a living and the only thing is, I don't have a set up at the house, so I go the other route and mig it. I've made a few repairs on the front wheel area using a 110 stick machine from work, using 6010 rod , it's a little tricky , but works ok. I just added some 1/8 plate behind the wheel and it made it nice and sturdy. I'll keep tabs on your project and I'm sure it'll come out nice........ :thumbs: Ray

Teddy da Bear

I have those too... Must be something about the 48" decks.

And I hate when someone "slaps" on a big ugly patch panel

from the "outside" of the deck.....making it as ugly as possible!

Sarge

How much for the welder?? Got nearly $4500 in it if you count it's entourage.....

Got it sand blasted today, not fun at 40*F but then again a lot less moisture in the air , no flash rusting anyway . Found a lot of cracks, thin spots and some of the holes seemed to "grow" , lol .....

1234905909.jpg

1234905147.jpg

Here's what flexing/hitting objects on the trim side can do -

1234905027.jpg

I plan to add another baffle section here , due to grass getting balled up in this corner all the time -

1234904963.jpg

These bracket area cracks are real common on the large decks , probably due to the baffle breaking loose since it's not tack welded very well -

1234905263.jpg

Probably going to just make a new baffle , maybe out of slightly heavier stock -

1234904994.jpg

This damage showed up on the front after blasting -

1234905111.jpg

Inside view -

1234905012.jpg

Wish it was in better shape , BUT , it is intended to be an example of what can be saved if you work at it , albeit the extreme end . I'm not after perfection , after all it will be used to mow a large yard and get it's share of use/abuse . May have to wait a week or two for more tools to show up , my teardrop hammers seem to have grown legs so a new set is on order along with a leather beater bag . Got a 42" deck to do next and it's in much better shape overall as well as a nasty shell I may salvage for a backup . Hope to get the tools before this weekend so at least some progress can be made . Gotta finish up a few things before next week's surgery , be down for a week or two before I can play again .

Sarge

fritz

That looks like i t is being a fun project. Is a deck the main week spot on a Wheel Horse? It seems like you would go through a few decks before any thing major breaks on a Wheel Horse.

Thank you

Devin

KyBlue

The Deck is a weak spot on ANY mowin machine if you dont keep the grass cleaned off, and the underside painted/protected.

Look forward to seeing the rebuild, still need to fix those spots on my 36" ..come on warm weather!!

Country Cadillac

Hello Sarge... I would certainly appreciate a little of your advice on my 48" deck project if you could spare it. I'm having a heck of a time getting the pulleys off the shafts that they have been attached to for about 29 years and was wondering what technique is a good one to try. I've got them soaking with pb blaster, figured that was a good place to start, but no luck so far. And I really don't have a puller that fits and am afraid of bending them if I pry with wedges and tap on the shaft. What would you or anybody suggest ???? :thumbs: Ray :whistle:

Sarge

If your pulleys have the hub welded to them with a groove, those are easy. Local parts stores should rent or sell power steering pulley remover/installer kits . Some use a threaded hub that may fit the arbor shaft and would easily remove them . If not , I generally just use a bearing splitter and beam puller which is safer . This deck wasn't too bad, pulled all 3 pulley assemblies off with my bit 3-jaw puller .

One thing , PB Blaster works good and I've used it for years . BUT, since I started using Gibb's Penetrant I'll never go back , no contest .

Ever seen a penetrating oil that not only works, but can be painted over once dry?

Plan on starting some patches in the flat areas tomorrow .

Sarge

Country Cadillac

:thumbs: Sarge...MY deck model # is 05-48XS02 and I tried to find an assembly drawing of it , but I guess I just don't know all the sites yet that might have it. It doesn't appear that these pulleys have a groove in them, so it looks like I'll go find the correct puller and give it a shot and hopefully I'll have similar luck. Thanks a lot for your time and info.....Ray

Country Cadillac

:thumbs: I'm a little slow , but I did find that assembly drawing and they do just pull off.......Ray

KyBlue

Your deck pullies are held on with a Key it looks like...

heres the drawing..

Deck.gif

Sarge

Got some patchin' time in today, finally . Figured I'd start with some holes a genuis drilled into the side of a hood . Started by making some plugs to fill in the holes with .105" thick sheetmetal , cut these out with a Blair Rotobroach hole cutter .

1235068277.jpg

Here's the plug fitted up along with a copper backer plate -

1235068702.jpg

Welded in -

1235069098.jpg

Of course, found a crack next to the rolled edge at the joint -

1235071206.jpg

Got that ground and finished , on to the deck issues. Bent up a piece of stock and fitted into the deck's shape-

1235097345.jpg

1235097862.jpg

Finished patch -

1235104819.jpg

BTW- that drawing is the same as the deck I'm working on , this one had the welded hubs/groove to pull from . Some good oil and even a bit of heat and they should pull right off , just a simple keyway .

Wish the tools would show up, gonna need them badly for doing the compound bends for the corner patches for sure .

That remiinds me, anyone know who/where I can find some cobalt or good HSS air body saw blades ??? The ones I've been using are worthless on anything much over 22ga metal and jigsaw scroll blades aren't tough enough either , even the ones from Bosch .

Sarge

KyBlue

Sarge, I get mine right off the snap on Truck, Eh, Like you i Tried all the others I could find, and those seem to hold up the best..

Nice progress...SWEET welds...

Sarge

Hmm, hadn't thought of that-I'll check with my Matco guy today. I have yet to find any blades made in the USA. The steel used in the repair is some recycled import junk so it's causing some undercutting in the deck material-hence the crappy weld line. May go back and fill it in better.

Sarge

Operator

How come your vise clamps don't have weld marks and spatter marks? :thumbs:

I'm grinding off weld beads on mine to make them clamp flat.

Nice job your doing.

Randy

Sarge

Those clamps are pretty clean mostly due to using them with a tig , no spatter. They will, however, melt into a puddle of goo if they get too hot . Some sort of cast pot metal , not even sure now where I got them although they are handy. I need to find some thinner copper for molding to shapes, the pieces I have now are 1/4&3/8" thick .

I did find some decent blades online from a tool supply out West , cobalt alloys- Morse to boot ! If they are half as good as their other recip blades I'll be happy.

JM Tools

Sarge

KyBlue

Sarge...Check out Eastwood.com They have the bendable copper shapes, as well as the vice grips with the copper pad, plus all your other metalworking supplies, paint supplies, tools,etc etc e tc

Sarge

Yeah, Eastwood has a lot of nice stuff . Got a friend that's an electrician-he's the copper supplier around here . Got the shaping mallets/bag in yesterday ! After I plow the drive , again, gonna start back in on patching the deck .

Sarge