Sign in to follow this  
WHC-125

C-81

WHC-125

I was looking at a C-81 8 speed with a 36 inch Rear Discharge deck. The guy told me that it has been sitting a couple months and only needs minor work to get going. He also told me that his brother in law said it has a stuck valve and only has 30 lbs of compression. :whistle:

Something doesnt sound right :whistle:

What should a 8 horse Kohler have for compression. And I thought if an engine has a stuck valve it is shot or has no compression at all :thumbs:

pond195520032003

Chris, if it has a stuck valve :lol: they usually wont have compression :whistle: im not certain on what they should have for compression but, could also be that the drive belt is not releasing all the way and seems like it does have compression :D it also wont have compression if the rod is broke :whistle: if you can look at it :omg: take the plug out and look in the hole while turning the engine overs and you should be able to see the valves moving up and down :dunno: if they are :D then see if the engine turns really free, as this is a real good indication of a broken rod :omg: hope some of this helps :thumbs:

WHC-125

Greg,

Thanks for the info, I will let you know what happens

pond195520032003

Chris, thats a nice lookin tractor :whistle: but since its not running, i would offer less if possible maybe $200 :thumbs: that will give you some room in case you need to do any thing major to it :whistle:

WHC-125

Greg,

I think I could even get it for $150 :thumbs:

Confused99

Yeah $150 or less

pond195520032003

that would be even better :thumbs: :banana:

WHC-125

I will see what happens. I am looking at a B-80 and a C-160 too. Maybe a 312-8 with a snowblower :thumbs:

Cvans

You are going to need a Semi and 10 acres of land the way your going :banana:

Chris

Rod(NASNUT)

Chris, if it has a stuck valve :lol: they usually wont have compression :whistle: im not certain on what they should have for compression but, could also be that the drive belt is not releasing all the way and seems like it does have compression :D it also wont have compression if the rod is broke :whistle: if you can look at it :omg: take the plug out and look in the hole while turning the engine overs and you should be able to see the valves moving up and down :dunno: if they are :D then see if the engine turns really free, as this is a real good indication of a broken rod :omg: hope some of this helps :thumbs:

If the rod was broken it would no have any compression. He said it had 30 lbs. Pull the head and check to see if the valves are seating it may have buildup on the valves or the seats.

WHC-125

Rod, would the buildup give it 30lbs. compression. :thumbs:

BTW when his brother in law checked for compression they used a gauge :whistle:

pfrederi

Didn't that vintage Kohler have compression release? If so compression readings are sort of worthless. Have to do a leak down test or crankcase vacuum test

Cvans

I don't think I've seen anyone mention this, Does this particular engine have an

automatic compression release like my 10hp does. If so the compression is going

to read low.

Chris

WHC-125

So its fine? :whistle::thumbs:

I am getting confused :whistle:

pfrederi

So its fine? :whistle::thumbs:

I am getting confused :whistle:

Second hand remote diagnostics are not good. All I am saying is that a compression test on an engine with compression release is not diagnostically significant..

WHC-125

Ok I will look into it

:thumbs:

WHC-125

Can anyone check on a 8 hp Kohler the compression :thumbs:

TJ

Can anyone check on a 8 hp Kohler the compression :thumbs:

At over 600 rpm, it should be around 125. below that and the compression release will drop it to 45-60.

hope that helps.

WHC-125

tj4428,

Then how is it getting 30 ?

wheelhorse101

tj4428,

Then how is it getting 30 ?

because either your valves arnt seating all the way or your rings are on the way out or already shot

linen beige

because either your valves arnt seating all the way or your rings are on the way out or already shot

Any or all those reasons OR the rings are dry. If it has not run in a while and there is no oil on the rings compression will bypass the dry rings. A blown head gasket can also give low compression.

WHC-125

I was thinking a head haslet maybe too because I blew the one on my Sears abd had to replace it because of not having enough compression to fire off.

Docwheelhorse

Don;t worry about it, I went over and offered him $100 and its in my driveway now... :thumbs:

Chris you better hurry as Jeff in East Hartford WILL pull it out from under you---hesitate even a second and he doesn't care.

Tony

WHC-125

Tony, are you selling it?

Or is jeff buying it from you :thumbs: