Sign in to follow this  
Cvans

What do you think?

Cvans

I have the opportunity to purchase a Yanmar (not Chinese) small diesel engine. Single

cylinder and about 9hp. It is almost new for a very reasonable price. If I were to put this in my WH 10 - 8spd. would it add to the value? I really like this tractor and it has a good Kohler engine in it but I like the diesel engines more. Your opinions would be appreciated :thumbs:

Chris

TJ

I don't think it would add any value to the tractor, but it would be a fun project to play around with. :thumbs: I might even be wrong about adding value. :whistle:

pond195520032003

you would have to do alot of modifieng i believe :thumbs: i think they are inline engines as where the kohlers are set in side ways :whistle: sounds like alot of work to me :whistle:

Nick

Several people have installed the Chinese clone of the yanmar engine. It sounds like they have had good luck with them and the engines develop good power also. Id say if the diesel price is in your budget, and its something you want to do, then go for it and dont worry about resale value. :thumbs:

I just looked at some military surplus 4hp Yanmar engines. Im not sure if they were used much but sold as-is there still over $400.

yanmar3.jpg

TT

i think they are inline engines as where the kohlers are set in side ways

I'm pretty sure all single-cylinder engines are inline, Greg! :thumbs: :whistle:

Cvans

I'm in the process of getting more information now. I hope to be able to add to

this by tomorrow. I believe this this engine is configured the same as the Kohler.

With the horizontal crankshaft and is air cooled like the one pictured above.

Chris

Cvans

Nick:

Where did you run across these surplus engines at? That's not far from what I would

pay for the 9.5 hp diesel if it turns out to be as stated.

Chris

jerrell

:thumbs: I have a yanmar 2000, two cyl. and it runs great, it has great luging power as i pull a 6 foot offset disk and a 5 ft bush-hog, it can run all day on one tank of diesel working hard,,, i would get it , if it was a good price, the engines are made strong and heavy i think they are made in japan:dunno:

pond195520032003

TT you got me there :whistle: i was thinking of something else :thumbs:

Nick

Chris, The 4hp Yanmars were at Glens Surplus here in Ohio. The price wasnt far from that of the China clone engines sold in Michigan. One of the 6 or 10hp would be nice to get hold of for a project but have to come up with the cash first. :thumbs:

Cvans

Thanks Nick. I went to their web sight and did a search but came up empty handed.

So they must not have them listed. I think I would offer them $250.00 for one and see if they would take it. My problem is that I have to make up my mind of I really need this or not. I look out in the yard and I already have more than enough projects. The next thing is, there is "NO" Yanmar support in this whole state. I can go up the road and get parts for a Kohler. Lastly, how long would it take to save $500 dollars on fuel usage in a 10hp engine. I think I just talked myself out of this project.:thumbs:

Thanks guys for being my sounding board,

Chris