Sign in to follow this  
Tom Bartlett

Suburban 551 Repower

Tom Bartlett

Hello All,

My first question, after remaining in the lurking mode for several months. I am considering re-powering my 1961 Suburban 551. I really like the electric start feature, and wonder what the members would suggest. My Tecumseh has a hot spark, good carb, but the cylinder wall is worn past rebuilding. Is there a short block available, or should I just replace the entire engine? Looking for advice.

Many Thanks!

Tom Bartlett

Docwheelhorse

Unless the engine was rebuilt several times before I don't know why you couldn't bore it .030 and throw a piston in it. If money is no object you could have the engine sleeved and start from standard bore again. What leads you to believe it is worn past the maximum oversize???

Tony

WHC-125

I am with Tony, bore it .30 over and put a new piston, rings, and connecting rod in.

Buzz

Before boring make sure you can get a .030 oversized piston and ring set. Some of the oversize stuff is getting scarce from what I've heard. Shortblocks are non- existent. If the piston is available that is how I'd go.

Tom Bartlett

Many thanks for the suggestions, fellows. A preliminary search shows that .020 oversize pistons are available. I'm guessing the machine shop will determine the least amount of removal to clean up the bore. That will be my next step. I'd love to keep the original engine if possible.

Tom Bartlett