Lane Ranger

Garden-All-Tractor and Wheel Horse

Lane Ranger

I saw this artcle last year and found it again. I thought the reference to Wheel Horse and Garden-All-Tractor from Liberty, Indiana would be of interest to the Red Square members.

Garden-all and Wheel-Horse Factory in Liberty, Indiana

Pictures and Advertisements from Local Paper -LINK BELOW

http://www.union-county.lib.in.us/union_co...%20Pictures.htm

Frank Bethge invented the Garden-All tractor at his Central Motor Company at 110 West Union Street in Liberty, Union County, Indiana.

Production began July 4, 1945 with 10 men employed. Twenty-five to thirty-five tractors were being made weekly and it was indicated that soon the quantities would reach 75 to 100 units per week. By spring of 1947 the goal was they would be producing 600 units weekly. At that period in time two size of tractors were built, a 13/4 horse power and a 3 horse power. The Clinton, Wisconsin and Briggs engines were being used.

Soon after the start of the manufacturing of the tractor, Glenn Heilman and D. S. Weaver took over the ownership and management of the Garden-All Company. One photograph available showed Paul Dixon, J. Hugh Smith and Zack Turner finishing the assembly of a four wheel riding tractor. Hugh Morgan, at one time collector of Garden-All products, worked for the Company for a short time in 1949.

By 1947 production had increased to the point expansion was necessary and

land was purchased on West Union to West Seminary Street in Liberty.

In 1949 Garden-All had four models and sickle bars of 30 - 32 and 36 inch cut. The

TWeddle

we have a plow styled like that here and it had SEAR and ROEBUCK markings. i need a carb for it and it will run. sat so long the carb froze up. you have to wrap the cord and then pull. ill get pictures soon

WildHorses

Lane,

What connection exists with Wheel Horse? The link no longer appears to work

-Daniel

Tonytoro416

I couldn’t get the link to work either.  Plz do share more.   Way to close to home to not know more