Sign in to follow this  
Eriks Red horse herd

CODE BLUE!! STAT!!

Eriks Red horse herd

All you wheel horse surgens! :dunno: Todays epic story. Decided to get the D-200 out to grade my so called sponge of a driveway. Before our next artic blast frezzes the ruts and mounds into a wash board. So I did the mud slop boogie and got the drive all cleaned up. Drove Heavy"D" back into the barn turned her off and dismounted the mighty draft horse. When I got off I noticed oil dribbling down the cylinder sheild and on both sides. so i opened the hood. :omg::D Theres oil all over the top of the engine. so i pull the dip stick and its half way down the stick. So I dumped in a half quart or so of oil and got it back to normal. I started up the old girl and let her run for 20 minutes at 3/4 throttle to see if i can find the leak. To no avail can't find it. So I shut it down and checked the oil again. Its low :wtf: while I had it running I checked the oil Pressure gage and its running right at 45-50. OK! Back to the engine. Last time, about a week or so ago is the last time I ran her to plow snow and it was,nt leaking then? :thumbs: So I go over the engine with a fine tooth comb. There's oil oozing from the the dip stick tube, from the valve covers, around the govener shaft and from the vent on top of thefuel pump. But not from the pto seal or the fly wheel? :whistle: WELL WHEEL HORSE SURGENS WHATS YOUR DIAGNOSIS? Could it be to much crank case pressure? A bad piston Ring or Two. It doesn't smoke when she's running. Is it major surgery time?(major rebuild) :whistle: Lets get those gears a turning. Second opinon need! :lol:

Rollerman

Check the sensor for your oil pressure gauge.

Is your gauge electronic or mechanical with a small oil line runing to it?

I had a D 200 with the mechanical type & the line leaked on it.

Bow_Extreme

I wish I knew the motor well that was in the D Series tractors. It sounds like it is difinitively building up pressure. Do these motors have some kind of breather assembly on the crankcase? All lawn engines have some type of breather on them. If this was somehow plugged I would aspect to possibly see this problem. If the block were cracked internally would this cause the same problem? The only reason I say this is because you keep adding oil to the motor which means that oil has to go somewhere.

Rideawaysenior

Bow,

How was the bow fishing tournment? I would check the pressure sensor. If I"m not mistaken there is a breather at the top of the block right under the air intake and filter. That could possibly be part of the problem. If you are seeing oil running on the heads but no smoke, I'll bet that oil is running from the top down somewhere. Start with the oil sensor and then the breather. Hopefully it's a simple problem like that.

Docwheelhorse

I think 50 lbs of oil pressure is WAY too high... don't these motors hold something around 10 lbs???? :thumbs:

Tony

Eriks Red horse herd

Well wheel horse guru's its not the oil gage line. I changed that to a mechanical gage awhile ago those electic sending units cost a arm and a leg and your first born child to buy. So the plastic line is dry. NEXT!

Eriks Red horse herd

Kohler manual for K532 says 50 psi at full throttle!

Rideawaysenior

I'm with Tony. Pressure is too high. Did you check the breather?

Jack

Sarge

Knowing winter weather, moisture and the nature of engines of that type- my vote is the breather is plugged up as well . Might want to remove the valve cover and see if any return ports are plugged as well...

Sarge

Rollerman

Well a leaking line on the gauge would have been the cheap & easy fix. :thumbs:

Next step is to pull the valvecover/breather apart, clean it, & inspect it like previously sugested.

Keep us posted.

Kelly

Eric, I'd start by cleaning the engine, so you can see the point of your leak, with oil all over, it is some times hard to pin point, I'm thinking breather also. they are pretty easy to get to on the twins.