Sign in to follow this  
b-80boz

c-175 help

b-80boz

hello everyone I need some more help Im wanting to take off the steering wheel on my c-175 and Im not sure whats holding it on. It looks like a drift pin but I want to be sure before I start driving it out .any help would be appreciated its a 82 if that make a difference or not :thumbs:

Duff

Yep, unless I'm wrong, it's fer sure a roll pin, and they can be a real beast to get out without damaging anything. :thumbs: Best bet is a lot of PB Blaster or other quality penetrating oil and the judicious use of a machinists punch of the appropriate size (sorry - I don't know the exact diameter off the top of my head!). Sometimes they come out fairly easily, but if the machine has ever been left out and exposed to weather for any length of time, it can be challenging.

Good luck!

Duff :whistle:

pfrederi

It is a 1/4" roll pin and they can be a huge PIA to remove ( I have one I have been soaking and banging on for over a year now!!!)

There are special roll pin punches you can buy (McMaster

I bought a set (expensive) but there are alot of roll pins on a wheel horse and having the right tool...

Also just getting the pin out may only be half the battle...the wheel may be rusted fast to the shaft. (I have found I have better luck cleaning up and lubing the shaft just below the steering wheel and driving the wheel down about an inch then clean up and lube the shaft end and pull the wheel....

b-80boz

yea thats what I was afraid of I tried a punch on it for a little while I was afraid of messing something up because it wasn`t budging. I wonder if it could be drilled out and then replaced. then agaian this tractor was setting in a tractor graveyard when I got it. I bought a nice dash with cables ,amp gauge ,ignition and light switch on e-bay and was just going to swap it out. I might end up just replacing every thing but the dash. thanks for the help. :thumbs:

TT

Take all of the bolts out of the upper hoodstand and remove it with the upper steering shaft and wheel intact. Lay the wheel hub down on something solid and drive the pin out with a punch.

If you're trying to remove the roll pin while the wheel is still on the tractor, you're just bouncing everything sideways instead of getting all of the force to the pin.

If you don't want that hassle of tearing it apart and aren't afraid to try something, flip the entire tractor up on its side and cut a 2X3 or 2X4 that just fits between the wheel hub and the floor. You'll be amazed how the roll pin will come out if the wheel is supported solid. (can you tell I work by myself a lot? :whistle: )

The Kelch wheels usually come off easier than most unless the center cap is broke or missing. The bad part about them is the fact that they're plastic and can't be heated without destroying them.. :thumbs:

Be very cautious if you try to twist it to break it loose from the upper shaft once the roll pin is removed. That's the perfect way to break the lower steering support or knock the teeth off the pinion and/or sector gear! :whistle:

b-80boz

that sounds like a much better aproach I was looking at and the thought of removing the shaft and the rest of it from the tractor did cross my mind. I`m assuming a kelch wheel is what I have I noticed it was different than the b-80 wheel .The center wheel horse enblem is missing and its solid plastic I was wondering if there was something else under it that helped hold it in. thats probably the way I`ll go at it it makes alot more sense. this tractor was in really bad shape when I got it I was suprised I got it running. the motor was just packed with oil,dirt ,grass and every thing else. I got it to run after I cleaned it up but it was throwing gas out really bad it ended up being a screw from the air intake had fell into the manifold and was lodged in the piston. I took that out and it runs like new no smoke at all has a lot of power. Ive still have to work on the deck so I`m trying to get a few more items fixed and I think it will be a nice tractor. thanks again for the advise. :thumbs:

pfrederi

I wonder if it could be drilled out and then replaced.

You cannot drill out the roll pin...they are tough and all you will do is break your drill bit.

On smaller roll pins I have use my Dremel and a carbide or diamond cutter to grind them out.. Control is difficult and since the surrounding metal is softer than the pin you can wind up enlarging the hole....