Sign in to follow this  
Duff

What is it?

Duff

Hi, fellas,

Got a line on this one through a friend of mine. Can anyone tell me what it might be? :thumbs: Tags and numbers are supposedly all gone. :dunno: Original motor was a Kohler 8hp.

wheelhorsenoeng-1.jpg

Thanks much as always! :whistle:

Duff :whistle:

Rollerman

Duff my guess would be a 65 855 or 66 856 since it looks to be a short frame, has the two spoke steering wheel.

Thats my best guess..... :thumbs:

CasualObserver

I'd agree..l. 855/856/857. The rear fender pan looks to be the narrower one. 1968 they made it a little wider on the Commando 8 which came with the wider 8

pond195520032003

its a wheel horse :dunno::whistle::thumbs: I agree with Stephen and Jason :whistle:

kpinnc

Well, the battery box and rear wheels don't quite flush. One of the two was added/ changed.... :thumbs:

The 855/856/857 models had wider wheels in the back. A 607 would have the narrow rear wheels, but no battery box. Even the 655 had wide rear wheels I think. I'm sure I'm missing one...

The remnants of the hood decal look like the 607/857 variety...

Good luck Duff!

CasualObserver

The 855/856/857 models had wider wheels in the back.

Doh3.gifyou're right Kevin! Here's my sign. Doof.gif But they did still have the narrower fender pan. 1968 was the year they moved it out to cover the tires.

Even the 655 had wide rear wheels I think.

I think all the 6/7 HP tractors came with narrow (6x12) rears standard though. Here's the 655 on the cover of the manual. That holds true thru the 1968 Commando 6 and 500 Special and the 1969 Work Horse 700 too.

655.jpg

Duff... How sure are you on the original 8HP?

Rollerman

The remnants of the hood decal look like the 607/857 variety...

Good eye Kevin

I wanted to say 67 857 too...but wasn't sure without going to my book when they stopped useing the two spoke wheel & went to a three spoker

The front tires are weird too...Most of the tucky powered post 65 tractors I've had have had that type of narrower front rubber.

While all the 8HP tractors had the wider ones in front.

Kinda makes me wonder if it may even of been a 6HP model....but tires do get swapped around.

It looks like it's missing a fuel tank also..."hard to tell though"

Thats another tip off for a tecumseh since they had fuel tanks mounted on the engine.

Duff wouldn't hurt to see if the seller could double check for an ID tag under the dash...maybe he didn't see that one?

Hey if you can get it cheap, have an engine & some misc it would be a fine cart pullin, snow plowin, dog walking tractor with a little work. :thumbs:

Eriks Red horse herd

My 655 Has the wider front tires and the 6-12 on the back. I know it has to be in 1965 range.

Rollerman

My 655 Has the wider front tires and the 6-12 on the back.

Hmm...I did say most?

Probably disregard the tire comment, but have had a few tucky short frames with a narrower front tire. :thumbs:

kpinnc

I think all the 6/7 HP tractors came with narrow (6x12) rears standard though. Here's the 655 on the cover of the manual. That holds true thru the 1968 Commando 6 and 500 Special and the 1969 Work Horse 700 too.

Thanks Jason, I wasn't 100% sure about that.

Looking at that brochure makes me think it may NOT have been an 8 horse machine. The 655 definitely seems to fit the bill, minus the hood decals and steering wheel.

I think we're gonna have to just wait and see what is on the tag for this one.

Of course now that all this speculation has begun, Duff is simply going to HAVE TO go get it and calm the curiosity... :thumbs:

Kevin

djmil11

don't know if this will help, but here's a pic of my 657.

1205081231.jpg

BPjunk

The tractor posted in the picture is a 1966 model 656.

In 1966 Wheel Horse did use the 6 x 12 wheels in the rear and the 4:00 x 8's up front, plus the two spoked steering wheel.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

TT

I'm going with 657. :thumbs:

kpinnc

I'm going with 657.

After DJ's pic, so am I.

Kevin

mcwh1950

don't know if this will help, but here's a pic of my 657.

1205081231.jpg

dan -- you should put a picture of this 657 in the picture gallery

stevasaurus

I got to tell you guys...I log on to this site almost every day, and one of the things that I look for is (what tractor is this?). Haven't been very good at it until now. I saw the picture at the top and said that looks like my 857. I do have the wider tires, but what I noticed is the steering wheel. It has the 2 spoke steering wheel and if you notice, the plastic is chipped off where the spoke meets the wheel. Exactly like mine! Iwas guessing it was an 85 something...what a great feeling to know I was close. :banana: I am addicted...thanks RedSquare. :thumbs:

I am getting dangerous. :whistle:

Duff

(Bump)

Hi, guys,

First and foremost, thank you very much for all the info. As much as I'd like to bag this machine to expand my horizons, 300-series freak that I am, it's in New Jersey and I'm in New Hampshire. Can't swing the trip to get it. :lol:

On the other hand, and here I'll ask the Mods to please bear with me, the machine is for sale. The guy who's selling it has been incredibly helpful in helping me score a bunch of parts his brother in law was unloading at excellent prices for my resto projects (now both 312's are getting rebuilt for a total of three!), so I told him I'd try to do him a favor. He's a Cadet collector so this Horse is a spare machine. :dunno:

Anyway, since we're not supposed to post sales for other people any more in the classifieds, I'm kind of at a loss as to how to respect the Forum while offering a decent machine to you guys on behalf of someone who's become a friend. :whistle:

He's asking $150 for it. If anyone has any interest or needs more info, please PM me and I'll give you his email address so you can talk direct.

Again, thanks to all - this place is the BEST! :thumbs:

Duff :whistle:

wh1257

dads like my commando 7