"Manic-Mechanic"

18 Auto Hydro Flush?

"Manic-Mechanic"

I recently had to drain out my fluids and change the transmission pump. The 1973 18 Auto used ATF, however, the newer machines went to 10w-30. Can I flush the whole system with kerosene and then refill with either ATF or 10w-30? (One or the other). 10w-30 is easier to find, however, ATF runs cooler? My question though, regardless, is can I flush the system with kerosene? Simply fill the unit by the fill tube and drain, or run it a few seconds and drain?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

oliver2-44

Because you never can get all the "flushing" fluid out of the system I would use an inexpensive ATF to flush the system, then drain it and refill with  s good ATF, possible even a synthetic ATF.  If you completely drained the system when you had it apart you could switch and use inexpensive 10w 30 for the flush then the good stuff for the permanent fill.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Well, aside from removing the pump itself, I did empty the system via the drain plug. So there would of had to be some of the fluid in the system, therefore the cheap ATF and so forth. I should run the tractor in between move the lift? Maybe have the tractor on jack stands.......

Thank you.

953 nut

Chances are the lift did not empty and will not be a problem. Any air in the system should find it's way out with normal operation.

:twocents-02cents:  ATF is fine, as long as the fluid that came out looked good you shouldn't have to flush it. Be sure to replace the filter too.

• Thanks 1

pacer

I recently went into my D's hyd system, removing ALL components and I was continually amazed at the ongoing oil leakage! I drained it conventionally with the plugs, letting it sit/drip overnight hoping to get the majority out before opening it up --- Hah!! I sopped/mopped/soaked/wiped oil :angry-cussingblack: the whole time during the rebuild, even as I was re-assembling it I was soaking up drips!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

I would NOT use kerosene to flush a hydro.  I agree with the rest it is easier to continue with ATF.  I run ATF in all my charger/electros and run motor oil in the D only because that was what was in there.  I do not see any performance difference.

Sunsdtrand units were used by several different tractor makes (all the units basically had the same components) yet the different tractor makes recommended everything from ATF to Motor Oil to Hydro fluid to house stuff like John Deere did

• Thanks 2

ericj

I have a friend that use to be a dealer back in the day, he said wheel horse sent out bulletins to swap any atf trans over to motor oil if you either had problems or it you had the system open. you could put cheap motor oil in and run it the drain that out and pt the good stuff in. but in the end it is your tractor and you can do what ever you fell comfortable with. good luck

eric j 

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Excellent,

I see there are several good ideas here.......I drained out yellow oil, if I remember correctly 10w-30 and it was nice and clear. The prior pump had failed, still have to tear it down, maybe the internal set screw? (I wish)! I believe 10w-30 it'll be then. Thanks everybody, greatly appreciated. No flushing with kerosene for certain!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1