Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse_of_course

Snow Blower Chute Control Upgrade

WheelHorse_of_course

Hey folks. I know the chute control cables are a PITA and a source of vexation for many Horse owners.

When I got everything ready for this winter I discovered that my cable was not simply detached but would need to be replaced. So I elected to use a coat hanger to hold it in a fixed position.

Well, after making the other repairs to the blower (see previous thread) I decided to try an idea I had. Instead of using cable I use the flat stamped chain used for window sash weights.

3264482150_380b63e575.jpg

Much to my surprise it works quite nicely :whistle:

My blower has the wider "spindle" where the cable goes. The cable is supposed to go through the spindle only once, and then 3.5 wraps around.

I used a safety pin style clip like this:

4-32-Safety-Pins-(Made-of-Spring-Steel)-enlarge.jpg

By passing the pin through the chain at 2 points it works nicely. Sorry, I did this close up but it is hard to see:

3264481730_02a03cac78.jpg

3264481280_28fd8c0817.jpg

Sorry about the bad pictures, not much light in the garage.

Anyway, I would recommend this approach over replacing the chain. Someone needs to try this on the narrow spindle blower to see it it would work there too.

:whistle: :thumbs:

Buzz

An interesting approach, hopefully you'll get a lot more snow this winter to give it a good working test. Keep us updated. Oh yeah, you can keep the snow too, I'm ready for spring. :thumbs:

WHC-125

Looks like how it came from the factory

Nice work :thumbs:

JimD

that's thinkng outside the box! very clever, thanks rolf.

KyBlue

Def. a great idea, thou it might be kinda hard on the paint where the chain comes in contact...

TT

Good intentions, yes.... but what will you do when the chain links freeze up? :thumbs:

You should also install some type of roller or wear pad on the cable guide or the chain is sure to break in that spot - especially after it rubs across it long enough.

Have you heard about using string trimmer line? (for a "weed eater") It does actually work.

WHC-125

TT,

I was thinking about that because some of the trimmer line gets to be pretty heavy duty

WheelHorse_of_course

Good intentions, yes.... but what will you do when the chain links freeze up? :thumbs:

You should also install some type of roller or wear pad on the cable guide or the chain is sure to break in that spot - especially after it rubs across it long enough.

Have you heard about using string trimmer line? (for a "weed eater") It does actually work.

TT

I agree the wear point is on that back post. And a nylon roller would be a perfect solution. However I think it is welded on.

Both the chain and the post will wear there for sure, the question is how much.

Thanks for passing along the weed eater line idea - I'll have to search on that and learn more about it.

Hopefully I'll see some more snow this year to see if freezing is a problem, but I don't expect that will be a problem.

It sure beats the coat hanger :whistle::dunno: :whistle:

iicap

I have used the trimmer string, .080, and it works well, the flourescent green clashes a bit with the rusty red, but I'm not going to any shows this winter. My old blower has just the turn shaft, no spool. When you tighten the last clamp you can stretch the string and put a little preload on it.