Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Good haul Saturday...

Sarge

Drove down to the St. Louis area yesterday , met Terry (T-mo) and picked up his 753 that's in real nice original shape . 20 miles east, 2 hrs later had Steve's (wh500special) loaded on the trailer as well. Both are in great condition and won't take too much to restore , can't wait for spring now !

1234038995.jpg

Really enjoyed meeting Terry, as well as Steve's Dad . Glad he didn't offer a drink n a lawn chair , I'd still be there ...lol .

Sarge

jusjeepn

Nice haul there Sarge! Looks like enough to keep you busy over the summer! Looking forward to watching the progress!

Pat

bell

Nice haul Sarge! :thumbs:

T-Mo

Kevin,

They both did fit onto the trailer! That one from Steve's looks to be in excellent shape. :thumbs:

It was really nice meeting you also. And we really had a great day, weather wise, for the little get together. When I met Jon, it was cold and windy. :whistle:

Sarge

I see you got the othe 854 Jon, nice job .

Sarge

WHC-125

2 for 1 Haul :whistle:

Sounds like a good day to me :thumbs:

wh500special

Sarge,

That's the first time that 854 has seen the sun in probably 7 or 8 years! Heck, from here it doesn't look all that bad.

That particular tractor was actually the first round hood I ever owned. Bought it at a sale in Mulberry Grove, IL and hauled it home in my old truck which I haven't owned for 11 years so I'd had it for a long time. It needs some things and I'm sure you'll find more stuff than I am aware of, but I think it was pretty solid. Biggest problem I can think of would be those diaphragm fuel pumps. I know you'll be able to handle carb issues if it has any since that's your bread and butter.

Dad said he had a great time talking with you. He said your wife looked less than impressed with our junkpiles - uh, WH collection. No matter how bad it gets at your house with these things, just remind her of that visit and she'll realize it can always get worse!

Terry's old 753 looks pretty darn nice, straight, and mostly complete. I think you STOLE that one! I'll confess and tell everyone that my old 854 looks better in pictures than it does in person.

Hopefully you're pleased with the tractor and blade. if not let me know and we'll work something out.

Steve

Teddy da Bear

Nice score!

20 miles east, 2 hrs later
You could only drive

10mph??? :thumbs:

WHC-125

Mike,

Construction and traffic :thumbs:

:whistle:

HorseFixer

Nice looking tractors there Sarge! :thumbs: 753 huh? how did I miss that one? :whistle: Round hoods who needs em? :whistle:

Sarge

10mph... :thumbs: , good one .

Mr. Tom was just a really good guy to visit with, could have spent a week there...

The wife hasn't warmed up to the round hoods much, yet . She needs to see one all pretty, that would probably help . Most folks see just a rusty hulk on some of these old tractors , I see a true diamond in the rough .

Oddly enough, on the way home she decided we need one of those little lawn rangers , which I'm not that fond of . Prefer the "real" garden tractors , not lawn mowers/toys . I'm sure she's thinking all the nieces/nephews and our granddaughter ....

I have noticed lately you really gotta be on the ball , the 753 came up so I jumped on it and it lead to finding the 854. One turns into two, and so it goes ....glad the trailer wasn't any bigger ....

Both of them are pretty easy from my view to restore, at least most of the main parts are there and correct , the rest is on it's way already including a very elusive hood for the 1277 . BTW, another one just showed up on Ebay , that makes 5 I know of now.... I own TWO ...lol .

Did some testing on the tinwork today, that stuff welds great , could save the argon and just stick weld it easily . Going to order some filler, hardener agent and dye to start working on the assorted steering wheels that need repair . Trying to figure out which brand works the best on these wheels , some are different in their chemical structure and different fillers work better over others . I'll start with the X series from Eastwood , not cheap but I've gotten great results before with it on wheels from the same era .

Thanks for the tractors Terry n Steve , will post up progress picks as I get time..

Sarge

Rideawaysenior

Nice haul Sarge. I love the look of the round hoods with the round fenders.

pond195520032003

great haul Sarge :whistle: me likes them :thumbs:

Sarge

Well, spent some quality time with the 753 , 'bout two hours worth . Replaced the main drive belt as well as the starter-gen belt . Took the float bowl off , cleaned out the varnish and blew out the main and idle jets/needles . Hit the starter button and fired it up . No smoke, no noise just sat there and ran smooth like it should . Did a bit of fine tuning and it runs really well . Gotta work on the gov linkage a bit and the generator definitely needs a bearing , howls like no tomorrow . Otherwise, runs and drives fine , won't stay in 3rd gear but I have a plan for that (can anyone say custom gear ?) .

Anyone ever put bearings in these generators ? Would love to see an exploded diagram , no luck finding one yet ....

Sarge

BPjunk

Sarge,

I have not yet had the privalige of meeting Terry BUT as for Steves parents .... yes I have been lucky. They are very nice folks and his dad has made the trip to the Wheel Horse Show with Steve many times. :thumbs:

You certainly did bring home a nice haul from eastern Missouri ! :whistle:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

linen beige

Well, spent some quality time with the 753 , 'bout two hours worth . Replaced the main drive belt as well as the starter-gen belt . Took the float bowl off , cleaned out the varnish and blew out the main and idle jets/needles . Hit the starter button and fired it up . No smoke, no noise just sat there and ran smooth like it should . Did a bit of fine tuning and it runs really well . Gotta work on the gov linkage a bit and the generator definitely needs a bearing , howls like no tomorrow . Otherwise, runs and drives fine , won't stay in 3rd gear but I have a plan for that (can anyone say custom gear ?) .

Anyone ever put bearings in these generators ? Would love to see an exploded diagram , no luck finding one yet ....

Sarge

From Kohler's web site.

http://www.kohlerplus.com/main_frame.asp

Most of these parts are discontinued, but you can still find them.

Rebuild kits show up on Ebay now and then.

These are actually Delco-Remi products so parts may be available from them.

T-Mo

Kevin,

I'm glad you got the 753 fired up. It does run really well, especially considering I'm sure everything is still original in that 46 year old Kohler. As for the belts, it definitely needed new ones. As for as Steve saying you STOLE it, I was just hoping you were satisfied with it and that it was a fair price. I would have love to get that old girl restored to it's original condition, but I do know my limitations. I'm thrilled it went to someone who will do it justice.

Hmm, wont' stay in third gear. With the drive belt slipping like it was, I didn't know that. Sorry. :thumbs:

Sarge

Thanks for the Kohler link, never thought to get the drawing directly from them, thought it had to come from Delco . Takes some serious voodoo to navigate their endless parts sources . I'm sure it's a fairly common needle bearing, should be able to find it at the local supplier here .

Don't sweat that trans issue, I'm actually glad it's got the common 3rd gear problem . Since reading the posts lately and through the search I'd like to dive into the trans firsthand and scrutinize the issue . Might be able to find a solution for everyone , we have several gear cutter/vendors in this area locally that welcome one-off stuff , of course for a price . If it turns out to be simple enough and some interest is shown maybe we can get a short run of them . I'll try to keep different threads for builds like this so it will search easier later on the forum . Same deal with the gen/starter , have a very good old-school local rebuilder that can help with any odd parts for it . When I think of the folks like that we've lost due to age or economics around here it's sad , but we still have quite a few left .

Just fyi- Sundstrand as well as Stewart-Warner, Champion , Harper-Wyman and LCN are all local companies here . In my hometown, we even had one of 3 plants that produced sealing wax used by world governments/royalty around the world - The Princeton Sealing Wax Co. LCN , the door closer manufacturer, is the only real one left . Champion is been bought out several times , now owned by so many companies no one is sure who is in charge , shame .

Sarge