Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

HEY TICKSTER!

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Stephan-I seem to remember in one of your Avatars-somewhere-That you had a tractor with a rear scoop on it. I'm getting ready to order gravel for my drive-weather permitting. I wanted to add a "Scoop" to my snow blade-but i have serious concerns about how much it would lift. You remember-its not a WH blade ( I have pulled the connection buckle apart before-I'm using the link and chain from my deck) I have just about everything I would need to make a scoop for the clevis hitch- I wondered how well that worked-can you dump it?-Thanks -AL :thumbs:

Nick

Al, You might combine the scoop idea Mike posted with a mount system similar to other front Slip scoops. Mine was able to lift a full bucket of gravel without to much strain, around 125 to 150 pounds actual weight. And you could still add an assist spring to make it easier to lift.

th_scoop005.jpgth_scoop003.jpgth_scoop2.jpgth_scoop1.jpg

Rollerman

Al I see Jim posted while I was searching for his post!...& Nick jumped in too.

Time to spray the key board with WD40 again so I can type faster. :thumbs:

Anyways mine is a basic manual dump Johnny dump that attaches to a clevis hitch.

So mine goes in back & is more usefull as a carry all rather than a self loading bucket...but it still can be done.

I'd like to convert mine to a front mount, but since I joined the FEL club it sits around getting dusty now.

DSCF0003-1.jpg

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Man! You guys have some good ideas! If I use the mods to my snow blade-I would have to fab a solid link from the fulcrum of the bellcrank so I don't pull anything apart. I like the rear scoop too-

Which would be easier to scoop and spread coarse gravel with?

I like the lift advantage of the rear hookup-shorter arms out to weight. Might be handier to spread gravel while going forward too.

I've never used a scoop on a tractor-which would be better for my job?-Thanks again_AL :thumbs:

Jim_M

Al,

I've never used a rear mounted scoop so I don't have an answer on that one.

I do have a front mounted Johnny bucket though and I really like the way it works.

It mounts in your front attachment hitch and has a lift rod like a snowblower to do the lifting, so it lifts by leverage more than by brute force alone. Mine has the electric actuator on it so you can use the bucket at any angle you want, for example, you can tip the front down if you need to dig, or you can leave it level with the ground so it just scrapes the surface. It works the same way when you dump the bucket, you can stop it anywhere you want, the manual dump buckets are "all or none", you can't stop dumping once you've tripped the bucket.

As far as I know the trip bucket style of Johhny bucket doesn't allow you to change the angle of the bucket, it just has one preset angle.

Jim

Nick

Al, The rear mounted blade might be easier to build but to be honest I never liked to back. :whistle: So my vote for a scoop would be front mounted.

I didnt ask before but can the truck tailgate some of your stone or do they have to dump it all in a pile that you'll need to spread around? If they can somewhat tailgate the gravel then you just might get by with using the blade you have. Ive even knocked down a 5 ton pile with nothing but a grader blade. It takes some time but can be done.

:thumbs: The size of the trucks being used today often makes it hard to tailgate. In the past we had deliveries by single and tandem trucks by drivers who could ask what depth you wanted and then drop it real close to that.

69DEZ

I'd make a front scoop. I had a blade mounted on the back of a tractor once and all it did was give me a backach. Here's some pic's that might help you. I can lift 250 + easy. BUT dumping it is another story. I wanted to use a solid rod for my dump but I didn't have any solid 1 inch laying around. It even has down pressure to dig. I use a 2x4 ft metal grate with cinder blocks to level out my driveway. I think a mid mount grader would work best. This scoop is made to pick something up and move it. Not the hot set up for leveling.

:thumbs:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2316

bitten

Al

When we built the new house we had about 50' of drive way to put in to connect with the excisting one. I used #4 as a base, dumped the load at the end and used my 310-8 with a regular blade to level it out. Might not have been the fastest way to do it but got the job done with enough seat time to make me happy. Used a yard roller to help compact it before I put the small stuff down, which was done the same way. That was 3 years ago and it still looks nice and havent had to do anything to it since.

I love getting new toys for my tractors but it can be done with the basics.

Good Luck,

P.J.