Guest fireman

The RJ58 Resto has begun

Guest fireman

Well I finally got time to take some pictures of the progress on the restoration on the first of my two RJ's. This one was in terrible condition. Someone had just painted the whole thing with some spray on texture paint. I tore the entire tractor down to the last bolt and have degreased, ground, and sand blasted most of the smaller parts. They have also been primed and painted with Valspar Restoration series IH red paint. I finally broke in my milling/lathe machine and made some new "OEM" steering clevis pins (you can see them in the pictures along with the old ones). I may consider making these to sell! The old ones were all pitted and the hole for the steering rods were getting stretched. The frame won't fit in my blast cabinet so that is going to the blasters on Monday. This tractor is going to get the brand new K91 with the electric starter I picked up so it isn't going to be totally stock but it will look and run good.

This should be ready for PA if I can keep up at the current pace.

painted001.jpg

painted002.jpg

painted003.jpg

shop006.jpg

Sparky

Well it definitely looks like yer doing it right :thumbs: .

Good start.

Mike...........

sorekiwi

Nice Job, Fireman.

I had the same problem with slop in the steering on my RJ. Making new pins fixed about 50% of the problem, so I ended up putting a bronze bush in the mating holes to take up the last of the slop...

IMG_1707.jpg

Another thing worth doing is the small bronze thrust waher between the spindle and the bottom of the axle. my axle had worn quite a groove on the steering arm at this point. (I can see the mark on yours, it doesnt look as bad as mine was...)

WHC-125

Looks like your making some progress :thumbs:

One day I should come and check it out :whistle:

Coadster32

In the fourth picture, it has a 1961 suburban hood painted all up on the shelf. Is this the one your putting on the rj?? It all looks pretty in red.

Guest fireman

Sorekiwi,

I was planning on putting a thrust washer on there also. I may consider adding the bushing too.

Coadster,

That hood is new old stock that is for the 61 Suburban on the bootom of the wood shelf. You remember, the one that is for sale :whistle: ! Also just picked up an elusive drive belt cover for the Suburban also which will go with it.

Come to think of it, now that I have all the miising parts for it, maybe i'll keep it :thumbs:

pond195520032003

looking great Sherman :whistle: just one question, have you checked the clearence between the shifter and the starter/generator :dunno: seems like it might be close :thumbs: other wise keep up the good work and pictures :whistle:

Guest fireman

pond,

It won't fit in the stock configuration. I will have to rebend the shifter then probably add some length to it. This RJ was really a basket case so I don't feel to bad doing a few modifications. The other RJ is mint and that one will stay stock.

Guest fireman

Got the frame and hood back from the blasters today and primed them right away so the freshly bare metal wouldn't begin to rust. The frame is perfect but the hood is gonna need some work. Also got the transmission all degreased and paint stripped. I think that as long as I am this far, I might as well pull the trans apart and replace the two main gaskets.

rj001.jpg

rj002.jpg

rj003.jpg

CasualObserver

Moving this to the work in progress thread. Nice work by the way! Looking good. Please keep up with the pictures. :thumbs:

clintonnut

Hi Fireman

I just wanted to let you know that it is a VERY good idea to knock the old bushings out of the axle housings and replace them. If you dont replace them the axle housings will leak where the hubs attach. Even if you put new seals in it, it wont stop leaking. Simply because the axles aren't centered.

We have the bushing and seal kits. Good Price. Lemmie know if you want one.

Charlie

Guest fireman

Just some updated pictures. It's on it's way back together. Still have to finish sand blasting the diff. and trying to get the pin out of the steering wheel and shaft. Added bronze thrust washers and bushings to the steering to take out any play and make things work smooth. Also added the thrust washers to the lift lever and brake pedal.

RJ58001.jpg

RJ58002.jpg

RJ58004.jpg

TJ

Good work. Great pictures. :thumbs:

Keep them coming.

linen beige

Beautiful RJ! :thumbs:

You're in luck with this style steering wheel. Just heat the steering wheel hub to a dull red and let it cool off. That will take the temper out of the roll pin. You should then be able to just drive it right out with a punch.

Guest fireman

The Steering Link, part number 3441, on my RJ was missing one of the ends. Not sure how the previous owner/s accomplished that. Also, the Steering Rod, part number 3438 is really pitted badly. One of the guys at the FD is a tool and die maker for a door lock company part time and owed me a favor for hooking him up with my old laptop so he can practice on AutoCad. The company deals exclusively in stainless and brass. He returned the favor and made me both of these parts in stainless :thumbs:. He said he would make me anything else I needed because the laptop was worth more than the few minutes it takes him to whip up the parts :whistle:.

In the first pic you can see the original link from my other tractor on the left. The bad one is in the center and the new one is on the left. In the second picture you can see the old steering rod on the top and the new one on the bottom.

With these new parts and the bronze bushings and washers, this thing should have no play and steer like it has power steering :whistle:

restoration002.jpg

restoration003.jpg

restoration006.jpg

restoration007.jpg

restoration008.jpg

stevebo

That Looks awesome !! Who do you use to sandblast the bigger stuff?? I need to find someone to blast my Economy. Thanks- Steve Bo

WHC-125

I would also be looking for someone to help me sandblast my C-125 when I restore it. :whistle:

And that restoration is coming out great :thumbs:

sorekiwi

Have you driven an RJ yet, Fireman?

The steering is, to say the least, interesting (or should that be frightening?). Super fast, with a tendency to go over centre and "stick" at full lock.

Couple that with a grabby clutch spring, unloaded front tires and you'll get an idea how the hoods get dented!

Guest fireman

Steve and Chris,

There is a guy in New Milford just North of that stupid big ole "New Wave Church" they built on Route 7. The business is called Jammin Joe's. He is in near New Milford Block. I dropped the frame and hood off around 10 am and had it back by 4 pm. the same day. You have to prime the parts right away because the virgin metal will begin to rust with any bit of moisture. He mostly blasts on Mondays because business has been slow.

Jammin Joe's

568 Danbury Rd Bld 7 Unit 5

Nw Mlfrd,CT06776

203-994-7388

Sorekiwi,

Yes I have driven my other RJ around. Never had a problem at all. Steering is very fast with a short throw. My clutch/brake doesn't stick so I didn't have any issues there. This one being restored will probably never make it out of first gear if you know what I mean :thumbs:

WHC-125

Steve and Chris,

There is a guy in New Milford just North of that stupid big ole "New Wave Church" they built on Route 7. The business is called Jammin Joe's. He is in near New Milford Block. I dropped the frame and hood off around 10 am and had it back by 4 pm. the same day. You have to prime the parts right away because the virgin metal will begin to rust with any bit of moisture. He mostly blasts on Mondays because business has been slow.

Jammin Joe's

568 Danbury Rd Bld 7 Unit 5

Nw Mlfrd,CT06776

203-994-7388

Thanks for the info I think I might try him if I dont find anyone else :thumbs:

Coadster32

Who do you use to sandblast the bigger stuff

This may sound a bit morbid to some, but go to a monument place. They sandblast cemetery headstones for a living. I once drove my 8ft by 10ft trailer to one, and they blasted it in this huge room. I went back with truck rims for them to do. Awesome job.

Duff

This may sound a bit morbid to some, but go to a monument place. They sandblast cemetery headstones for a living. I once drove my 8ft by 10ft trailer to one, and they blasted it in this huge room. I went back with truck rims for them to do. Awesome job.

Not morbid at all - sounds like some GREAT advice!

Thanks! :whistle:

Duff :thumbs:

pickledhorse

just getting started w/ this rj58. :thumbs: This had a briggs motor, so just bought a new(old) k91 off ebay. might have a little less luck with other parts. thanks for the pics, it really helps see how to do it right.

Attached Image

post-67-1235953024.jpg

Brrly1

Here I always thought they got dented from tooo much gas put in the fuel tank. I guess thats what I get. Oh Well. Burly :thumbs: :whistle:

fireman

Well after many months and a few hundred dollars, for the most part it is done. The original hood is going to the local Tech School body shop for it's repair. The engine still needs to be painted (ran out of time before the show). I put on a NOS Suburban hood I had for the show.

WHCC2009RJ2.jpg

WHCC2009RJ1.jpg

WHCC2009RJ3.jpg