82Caddy

So I heard you like small frames with big blocks...

oliver2-44

Looks Great. if you leave the front spindle sticking out the top and use a side steering lever and rod it will look like some of the very old Farmal's

Edited by oliver2-44

82Caddy

For now I've been using that big rod to push or pull the tractor and steer it.  Seems like a few people wanted some more pictures, so here they are.  Keep in mind, nothing is final at this point.  All of the welds need to be redone and a bunch of other stuff,but it's the basic idea of how it will look.

43442324450_66fcaf39b5_k.jpg

31382404198_ff2467bdf1_k.jpg

Clearance between front tire and deck pulley location

31382404248_81e3f3f6ff_k.jpg

The gaps in the front will be welded solid, this is all just a designing to see if it'll work and fit together and function.

30317613147_f53db79794_k.jpg

30317613237_b0e9bcdd5a_k.jpg

31382404328_e15ff6c1d6_k.jpg

Yes, that really is a K341 with a short pan that fits under the hood of a short frame tractor without cutting anything on the tractor.

30317612907_9f7b6b1794_k.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

82Caddy

If anyone is wondering why there are so many holes in that front piece, it's because the angle iron is an old Raider 10 frame.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

PeacemakerJack

Nice work on this one Reid! I’ll be following along to see how this one ends.  My Local Circle buddy @Rp.wh would find that narrow front especially interesting.  I like the look of the whole project and the functional purpose for which you are building it...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

71_Bronco

Very cool what you're working on and I like the overall concept.

I personally liked it better with the shorter wheel-base and the wide front end, but I'm not the one building it.

Rp.wh

What a neat piece you have here can't wait to see the progress.. I would like to do one adventually but time seem to not be on my side lately...

82Caddy

So I'm starting to put things back together and I can't find a few measurements I wrote down many moons ago...

Anyone out there with a short frame (857) tractor that can measure from the hood mount on the front to where the frame and transmission bolt together?  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, 82Caddy said:

So I'm starting to put things back together and I can't find a few measurements I wrote down many moons ago...

Anyone out there with a short frame (857) tractor that can measure from the hood mount on the front to where the frame and transmission bolt together?  

I have an 867 in the workshop.

That is a short frame.

I can take measurements for you later on this evening if it would help you.

• Like 2

82Caddy
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have an 867 in the workshop.

That is a short frame.

I can take measurements for you later on this evening if it would help you.

That'd work great!  Thanks!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

That'd work great!  Thanks!

Not going to be able to get to it tonight.

I'll try tomorrow...

82Caddy

No worries. I just guessed and then changed my mind what I was doing anyhow.  I was looking at how the hood wouldn't tilt forward with the correct 857 front hood hinge.  I remembered I still had the raider hood sitting out back so I went and swiped the mounts off of that and drilled a hole in the frame to get this:

47107972692_f4d618caaf_k.jpg

Ended up using the rod that was on the raider hood for the hinge and it works out alright.  Still have to modify the lower hood mount some to get more open out of it but that is minor.

47160049251_fa5879df11_k.jpg

46436556904_ca6bc66d6c_k.jpg

46436556814_7ccd41a7ca_k.jpg

Also noticed that I need to cover the front of the tractor with something and well the raider hood is getting cut up to make that happen.  So that's the update for now.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

I like it !!!!!!!

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Franken Horse !  Is see a great tractor in the making ! Love it! 

bellevillerod

I've got one of my own, I do like the narrow front on yours though. I only have a 10 hp in mine for now, have a 14 & 16 I'd like to stuff in but don't think they will fit. Can't wait to see the finished tractor you come up with. Gotta love the customs.20181128_131059.jpg.740a0cc2cfe421402496c5b102310c38.jpg

• Excellent 4

Pullstart

Wide or narrow, square hood big block round fender looks so cool!  I bet it’s a tough combo too!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:this is one of those custom projects that I can’t wait to see finished.  The way that you are developing the steering and the front frame/spindle section, this tractor will look factory when finished.  Great work and thanks for the :text-coolphotos:

82Caddy

So I have a dilemma.  My wife and I are buying (purchase agreement signed, waiting on closing date of June 3) some land in the Duluth area with the intent to build this summer/fall and sell our house.  Well we put the house up for sale and it sold on a cash offer over asking price with closing on May 28.  

The dilemma is that we'll be moving in with the in-laws until the new place is finished and I'll be losing my shop space.  Most of our stuff will be going into a storage unit(s).  There will be about a month or two where we won't have a home before we need to have stuff out of the old

Do I sell this thing as it sits as a project, stick the engine in it so it drives, and then sell it or just take it with me?

• Sad 3

WHX??

That's a tuff dilemma to be in Caddy we feel for ya. My choices of what I would do.

1) Put it in storage until you gain some shop space and continue the hobby.

2) Put the motor in it and get it drivable.. might get a better price for it.

3) Sell it as, hopefully to someone (here) who can show it the love and finnish it.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

My vote is keep it

• Like 2

Toasty

Keep it

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Keep it! But if you can’t...offer it on here to someone who can finish the dream.  Wouldn’t be the first time that has occurred;)

• Like 3

Mikey the Monkey

keep it. i love this build. put it in your mother in laws craft room

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

ACman

:text-yeahthat:.... keep it !

I'm thinking more of in lines of your room . If she's anything like my mil I'd come in the door and go straight to my room. Heck if it was warmer I'd rather stay in a storage unit :lol: !

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

If you can finagle the room, keep it!  Nobody will know it better than you.

It’s slightly morbid, but I had a short “what will they do when I’m gone” moment last night.  I couldn’t bear the thought of someone putting a price tag on Putt Putt or Frank.  

• Like 2