Huntemcd

Ideas for custom attachments.

Mickwhitt

Some cool ideas here, plenty to keep us occupied in the off season.

Mick 

rjg854

Not really custom, but added this to the Raider 12 instead of having to get the trailer out every week for hauling trash and recycling down to the road. It was 5 foot wide, but I cut it down to the width of the tractor. And it folds up when the tractor is parked. It's pretty handy and rated for 500lbs.

PXL_20201213_172034468.jpg.44eb27a588f113e1009d86e107e28b9f.jpg

PXL_20201213_171943666_MP.jpg.e06de2918fb1f5bc3a27f17f33611af3.jpg

• Like 5

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Not really custom, but added this to the Raider 12 instead of having to get the trailer out every week for hauling trash and recycling down to the road. It was 5 foot wide, but I cut it down to the width of the tractor. And it folds up when the tractor is parked. It's pretty handy and rated for 500lbs.

PXL_20201213_172034468.jpg.44eb27a588f113e1009d86e107e28b9f.jpg

PXL_20201213_171943666_MP.jpg.e06de2918fb1f5bc3a27f17f33611af3.jpg

Excellent idea. Good for carrying tools or whatnot as well. 

4 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

off season

I don't really have an off-season because we use our Horses all year round but I am most certainly off-center.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I have 220 in 2 buildings but not everywhere I need it AND there's a limit to my amps.  I don't need large CFMs most of the time except sandblasting so even a smaller compressor would help but why not go as big as a WH can power?  I've used and read about converting V8s to four cyl engine pumping air out of the other four so I'm sure we could use a single or twin cylinder engine as a compressor.

Now you got me thinking way too much....

DennisThornton
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Now you got me thinking way too much....

Keep it up and I'm sure you will share!

• Like 1

8ntruck
7 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I've always wanted a BIG air compressor!  I could drive one off my NH PTO but how about a WH front mounted like the generator?  16-18 HP should crank out some CFMs.  Just mount a purchased compressor or what about converting an engine to a compressor.

I like the idea as well.  I've got an old air compressor that is set up for gas power with a pressure operated bypass valve, but had been converted to an electric motor by the PO.

Halfway there, I guess.

You guys figuring on mounting a tank as well as the compressor?  Maybe a 100 gallon on a trailer, so it looks like a mini anhydrous ammonia tank?

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I like the idea as well.  I've got an old air compressor that is set up for gas power with a pressure operated bypass valve, but had been converted to an electric motor by the PO.

Halfway there, I guess.

You guys figuring on mounting a tank as well as the compressor?  Maybe a 100 gallon on a trailer, so it looks like a mini anhydrous ammonia tank?

Don't see a tank on mine, just a bypass valve.

19richie66

60639408-3D69-4BCC-9938-7DBB5F2BA6A4.png

• Excellent 5

DennisThornton

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
8 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Something tells me this is an exercise in justifying more purpose-dedicated horses.  

Just sayin'. 

Carry on!

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Something tells me this is an exercise in justifying more purpose-dedicated horses.  

Just sayin'. 

Carry on!

Again I say!!!

One tractor per implement and one implement per tractor. Minimum!!!

:occasion-snowman:

ebinmaine

Dennis. Man....

Now I'mma haveta build that. 

:happy-partydance:

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Again I say!!!

One tractor per implement and one implement per tractor. Minimum!!!

:occasion-snowman:

If only every woman could understand that very simple and I think obvious fact!  Implements and and even quick attachments still need to be properly stored and how better than to have their own tractor!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

If only every woman could understand that very simple and I think obvious fact!  Implements and and even quick attachments still need to be properly stored and how better than to have their own tractor!

I knew it.

Is it maximum one implement per tractor? Or is it minimum one tractor per implement? Or is it one minimum per maximum. That clip of George Gobel has confused me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I knew it.

Is it maximum one implement per tractor? Or is it minimum one tractor per implement? Or is it one minimum per maximum. That clip of George Gobel has confused me.

I'm not familiar with the clip so feel free to share...

It is a clear minimum. But not set in stone. 

We have several more tractors than implements though I'm working on fixing said shortsighted error. 

SylvanLakeWH
50 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

It is a clear minimum. But not set in stone. 

We have several more tractors than implements though I'm working on fixing said shortsighted error. 

Foul!!! :law-policeblue:

Utilizing implements as a minimum controlling factor will reduce your legitimate tractor capacity... the rule must be a maximum of one implement per tractor. Of course, if one maximizes the minimal sized implements, then one could maximize the minimum tractors needed for the maximum implements... :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Foul!!! :law-policeblue:

Utilizing implements as a minimum controlling factor will reduce your legitimate tractor capacity... the rule must be a maximum of one implement per tractor. Of course, if one maximizes the minimal sized implements, then one could maximize the minimum tractors needed for the maximum implements... :handgestures-thumbupright:

:bow-yellow:  :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow:

Excellently explained your Excellency. 

• Thanks 2

ebinmaine
On 12/15/2020 at 5:47 PM, 8ntruck said:

You guys figuring on mounting a tank as well as the compressor? 

My thought was to get 2 of the spare air type tanks from HF and use those as part of the base. 

DennisThornton
On 6/27/2017 at 4:32 AM, ohiofarmer said:

Power up a hand crank ice cream freezer!  It would be very cool to hear a Kohler putting along making some home made ice cream at shows and events.....

Mom once told me that they used to jack up a Model t Ford and crank it with the spoked wheel.

Sears sold one for their garden tractors.  I've seen ads for them.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

The moment a tractor accepts an attachment it becomes a tool and is no longer just a tractor, but perhaps a:

mower

snow plow

snow blower

back blade grader

mid-mount grader

box blade grader

and many more.

I don't think any household member should start questioning the quantity of 4 wheeled tools until 6 or so and then after that really should start praising and bragging!

• Like 2

giddyap

Weighing down the rear hitch applies pressure to the underside of the transaxle case and could crack it. With this simple lever the pressure is applied to the crossbar of the rear snow plow hitch. The pressure is then distributed to both ends of the axle casing. Not just for stacking weight for traction or counterbalance I'm sure it can be adapted for other attachments and uses.  

Notice, comments to this post prove that my premise is wrong. This lever does not transfer weight to the snowplow cross bar. The weight is doubled on the transaxle drawbar.   Do not use 

DSC06917.JPG

DSC06919.JPG

DSC06920.JPG

Edited by giddyap
correction
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
On 6/27/2017 at 4:32 AM, ohiofarmer said:

Mom once told me that they used to jack up a Model t Ford and crank it with the spoked wheel.

I did this many times with my '30 Dodge.    Just jacked up the left rear till the axle was on center with the Ice Cream freezer handle. Stick the handle in the spokes, sit a cement block on the freezer, tranny in first gear and crank away.      When the ice cream got stiff, the freezer tipped over and disengaged the handle from the spokes.     Automatic shut off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 2

Handy Don
6 hours ago, giddyap said:

Weighing down the rear hitch applies pressure to the underside of the transaxle case and could crack it. With this simple lever the pressure is applied to the crossbar of the rear snow plow hitch. The pressure is then distributed to both ends of the axle casing. Not just for stacking weight for traction or counterbalance I'm sure it can be adapted for other attachments and uses.  

Agree with your premise of risk where a small area of the transaxle is getting a lot of pressure from torquing the standard drawbar hitch. Would add a caution, though, that your solution also has risk. It puts a multiple of the weights in your rack as downward pressure on the rear hitch crossbar due to the leverage being applied. 

The multiple comes from the fulcrum of the lever being the point where it contacts the plow frame bar. The transaxle bar is roughly 6" along the lever and the center of the weights is roughly 12". So the down force on the transaxle bar is roughly twice (12÷6) the weights carried even though the down force on the tractor as a whole is only the weights and rack. Also, if the hitch holes are misaligned the force could be disproportionate on one half of the casing.

I have no idea what the max recommended weight on that drawbar mount is, though someone else here might.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
16 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I have no idea what the max recommended weight on that drawbar mount is, though someone else here might.

One of my owner's manuals for the 520H says do not too over 275 lbs in a yard cart which doesn't say tongue weight, but I am quite sure I have exceeded both many times over with wet sandy soil over flowing the big 17cf utility trailer for 1/4 mile hauls, I have my current snow blower counter weight bracket mounted on/through the drawbar hitch casting with approximately 130# hanging there. I won't say I abuse my tractors but I don't baby them either.

20201216_172255.jpg

IMAG1761.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
32 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

One of my owner's manuals for the 520H says do not too over 275 lbs in a yard cart which doesn't say tongue weight, but I am quite sure I have exceeded both many times over with wet sandy soil over flowing the big 17cf utility trailer for 1/4 mile hauls, I have my current snow blower counter weight bracket mounted on/through the drawbar hitch casting with approximately 130# hanging there. I won't say I abuse my tractors but I don't baby them either.

Wow, 275# is pretty conservative, though that may be partly a limit for safe drivability and braking, etc. so a tongue weight of less than 100#?

My rule of thumb for damp sand and soil is 100# per cu ft. so yeah, no babying there!

Your counterweight is not mounted on a lever, though -- its pretty much a straight down load (helped a bit by the bar to the upper tranny bolts) similar to tongue weight on slot-hitch. Your 130 would be 260 or more with the lever mount.

• Thanks 1