Sign in to follow this  
haeffnkr

Help - what size?

haeffnkr

My adventures in snow plowing continue......

(see other thread....)

Last night we get the mother load - about 5-6" of fresh powder.

So today I am ready to plow....

I get it started and come to find my C-160 can not even get down the drive way with with the plow UP!!

I guess I was to dumb to think this would work with lawn tires and no weights/chain......heck I never did this before...

I was stuck in my driveway - very embarrising...I finally yanked around on the fenders and kept rocking it back and forth to get it unstuck.....argh....

I almost quit before I got started.

I was able to get most of the drive plowed, if did barely OK if I was on plowed driveway and not in the powder.

Towards the end I was trying to move some big piles and it was not working.

So the point of this thread!

I located some chains, in stock...luckily a farm store is close by.

I am going to buy them soon.

Do I want 4 link or 2 link?

I want good traction but I do not want to tear up the driveway?

ALL my plowing will be on concrete.

thanks for the help

Kevin

WHC-125

I say you buy 2 link but I heard that 4 link are better :thumbs:

In my opinion 2 link are alot smoother ride and are worth the extra money :whistle:

TT

Well, Kevin...... it's time to make a tough decision.

Do you want traction and the ability to move snow, or do you want concrete without little white scratches all over it?

Standard tire chains will not mar the surface like the "V bar" or Weed chains, but will still leave scratch marks if they slip on the surface.

The only other (expensive) alternative is chains with rubber cross "paddles". LINK

I know a guy that had them on a CC and they were practically worthless, but they did save his "fancy high-dollar-molded fake-stone-paver" poured concrete driveway from scratches. :thumbs:

I personally prefer "2 link" chains over the "4 link" because there's twice as many cross chains to dig, and as stated, it's a less bumpy ride.

ol550

I would get the 2 link spacing. Might need to add some weight to keep from spinning and marking the concrete.

An extra donut won't be enough though. :thumbs: Mike

haeffnkr

Thanks for the replys.

I have an exposed agregate driveway so hopefully it will not mark up the driveway too bad.

I will try 2 link.

I did some searching on the board and it appears that 2 link is the preferred chain.

I had no idea this "heavy" tractor would be totally useless in the snow.

I understand now why all the talk about weight and chains on this board.

So I guess the next plan will be to fab up some kind of weight bar/box.

I am not sure what I can come up with today, maybe something at the farm store will work.

thanks Kevin

wh500special

Kevin,

Glad that tractor is running well for you - especially after your little "incident"!

Get the 2- link chains. The extra money is well spent and I think they work much better in dirt than the 4 link style if you plan on doing any garden work or plan to take the tractor into the field to make a deer plot.

They're not cheap to buy new, but you might want to consider a pair of 12" plastic wheel weights from Sears, Lowes, or your dealer. I'd bet El-Mel in St. Charles will have something in stock or even a Deere :thumbs: dealer. They go on and come off pretty easy and aren't so heavy that you can't manhandle them easily.

On all but the heaviest snows I have usually been able to get by with just the chains. But the weights should help you prevent slippage and scratching up the driveway. Chances are in your part of the world you're typically going to get those sopping wet snowfalls and they pack under the wheels pretty quickly necessitating chains.

I tend to plow as fast as the tractor will go, but I don't have a driveway I am worried about messing up. You might be better suited to use a smooth, continuous approach at whatever speed you find that works best.

I used to have a large bucket with lid that two weights and a set of chains and all the bolts would fit in. After snow season was over I'd remove everything, spray it all with WD-40, and seal it in the bucket for the next year. Now I just leave the chains on all the time...

Good luck with all this! Unless you get snowed on everyday and get sick of the task, plowing snow is incredibly enjoyable.

Steve

bork

I weigh close to 300lbs, are wheel weights still advisable? I know nothing about such, since I moved up from S FL. and are chains specific? for dia & width? or semi universal size range?

haeffnkr

Steve,

Yes thanks for a fine RUNNING tractor, now I just need it to MOVE :thumbs::whistle::whistle:

Seriously though - good tips - I will look for some wheel weights at store later today.

Rod - I dont see a video?

thanks Kevin

pfrederi

I weigh close to 300lbs, are wheel weights still advisable? I know nothing about such, since I moved up from S FL. and are chains specific? for dia & width? or semi universal size range?

I have about 125 lbs on my C81 and I weigh just under 200.

When it comes to chains size does matter. I bought some from this outfit and their web page gives you a good idea of styles and sizes

Chains

Rod(NASNUT)

Steve,

Yes thanks for a fine RUNNING tractor, now I just need it to MOVE :whistle::whistle::dunno:

Seriously though - good tips - I will look for some wheel weights at store later today.

Rod - I dont see a video?

thanks Kevin

haeffnkr it works for me :thumbs: Did you click on the video?

Old Iron

I didn't know what "2 link" and "4 link" refered to myself. I was just at the web link pfrederi posted and I learned something new. I have the 4 link and I don't think the ride is really that rough. Although I don't really drive around on the black top unless I'm plowing snow. I think the 2 link would have to be a smoother ride.

I'm told by a buddy that the AG tires he uses, with no chains, work just as good as the turf tires and chains. He has used both and preferes the AGs because the don't mar up his driveway.

Raider

I am running my C-160 without weights or chains and do well plowing snow. Traction isn't great but I get the job done well as I know the limits of the setup and don't get it stuck very often. My driveway is almost level which helps a lot. I like the idea that I'll lose traction before I break parts (I also like doing 180s at the end of the driveway :thumbs: ). If we get too much snow for the plow to handle then I get out the Raider/snowblower which has weights and chains and will go through almost anything. I have 2 link chains on it that I had made locally. Every other cross link is the v-bar type. There are a couple of spots I've sraped up my asphalt with the chains. I park the back tires on a couple of scraps of styrofoam so the chains don't rust up my garage floor.

haeffnkr

Rod I see the video now...apparently from work some of the pic hosting sites are blocked...but the wierd part is ther is no errors and the post looks fine.

I noticed a pic was missing in a different post from too..and remembered seeing the pic in the post the night before.

OldIron - just experienced that marring of the driveway !! bad deal.

thanks Kevin

Old Iron

...I have the 4 link and I don't think the ride is really that rough...

:whistle: I...um...mine are the 2 link, not 4.... :whistle: :imstupid:

I musta' had an air poop in my head.... :thumbs:

Dafixer

I have a set of regular car chains i cut down and they are 4 link, wish i had 2 link, 4 links will beat your kidneys out on any pavement tramming!!!

pfrederi

I have a set of regular car chains i cut down and they are 4 link, wish i had 2 link, 4 links will beat your kidneys out on any pavement tramming!!!

The chains I put on my L107 are cut down auto chains (4 link) I used the left over cross chains to make them a 2 link set. (Chain Pliers make the job much easier)