Jim-Ohio

Electric PTO Clutch

Jim-Ohio

I bought a 1-0465-8 (1973) tractor with a snowplow last winter to plow snow. A mower deck came with it. Now I was going to put the mower on it, and found that it was missing the PTO clutch that runs the belt for accessories. When I took pictures to a mower shop guy that has a lot of old Wheelhorses for parts he told me that it looks like someone cut the end of the crankshaft off flush with the pulley that runs the belt for the hydrostatic rear drive unit. This would make it impossible to put either a manual or electric PTO clutch on as there is no shaft sticking out to mount it on. Why would someone have ever done this to the crankshaft that makes it not possible to ever put any accessories on this tractor or am I missing something that's different on this tractor that the mower shop fellow didn't know about?

953 nut

:WRS:    The only thing I can think of is it may be a replacement engine with a shorter crank shaft, or a previous owner didn't know how to properly remove the electric clutch (there is a procedure for that) and sawed it off to sell it.

Sorry to say I don't know of a safe painless way out for you. A "GOOD" welder could weld an extension on the shaft, but the liability concerns involved in doing it would probably make then say no.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

Tankman

Perhaps find a replacement crankshaft. Any pics? :blink:

• Like 2

gwest_ca

There is a details page here for the 1-0465 that lists the engine numbers

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Tankman said:

replacement crankshaft.

I had been thinking that too, but not knowing how mechanicaly inclined he is I passed on it.

Tankman
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, gregg'shorses said:

Joe in Michigan has a few. I've dealt with him many times over the years .http://stores.ebay.ca/Joes-Outdoor-Power/Kohler-/_i.html?_nkw=crankshaft&submit=Search&_fsub=14&_sid=474234

Nice source for engine parts. Thanks.

I would suggest, Jim purchase a crankshaft and take the part and engine to a shop.

Worth rebuilding. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JC 1965

I have purchased from Joe. Great guy to deal with.    :thumbs2: