Sign in to follow this  
fritz

what makes it better

fritz

well i have to do a persuasive speech. i decided to do it on what my passion has been for the past 6 to 9 months. so my persuasive speech is gonna be. why the wheel horse brand is better than every other brand out there. i know this may be a hard subject. and i hope this is in the right section. but i need facts or very strong opinions that i can use on my report. i would grewatly appreciate it. if this subject is to hard or you all think it would be wrong to do it. i wont. but i saw what advice and stuff i got on the demo qustion. i hope to get about the same feed back. this is my grade :thumbs: so any one with any thing i would very much appreciate it. thank you all.

devin

CHARGER9AUTO

Devin, Wheel Horse is the best brand tractor because it's built tough with Angle Iron frame and Cast Iron front axle , Uni - Drive transmission . Ben.......... :horseplay:

bell

It is one of the most durable designs (Re: unidrive), made with the best components available (re: Kohler).... Except for the Tecumseh ones... :thumbs::whistle:

Also, not only is a WH more durable, the design is simple and MUCH easier to work on than most other brands.

Good luck with the speech!

BPjunk

Devin,

I have studied this same question for more then a decade and will try to help you more when I get home from work tonight.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Docwheelhorse

Hello Devin, I don't know how to say it in a big speech ---but--- basically Wheel Horse is the best because they scored the Tri-Fecta of Durability, Ease of Use (i.e.--attachments on and off) and Ease of Service. Try working on a Cub Cadets setup or a Sears or a J.D. or basically ANY of the others out there. Its at LEAST twice as hard to put an attachment on and God help you if you need to work on the motor etc....

Tony

Coadster32

The unidrive was used from 1961 to 1996, through a buyout and all. Three and 1/2 decades, and no change....Must have been good. :thumbs:

Teddy da Bear

Devin...I guess your doing a report for school.

I will give my viewpoints on the wheel horse

based on my experience and what I have learned.

1. First to design and manufacture a rideable garden tractor.

2. Affordable to most people.

3. Longest lasting tractor for years of useful service.

4. Easiest to change attachments/impliments.

5. Most diverse array of attachments to do most chores

a homeowner would likely need to accomplish,

6. Simplicity of design and function so a person

could maintain it themselves.

7. Painted red.........ummm....because "red" goes faster! :whistle::thumbs:

(leave this one out unless your going for a laugh)

I hope you do well on your report. As long as this subject is pertinant

to what your studying. Remember.....your backing a "horse" you

believe in...... There will definately be other opinions after class.

It may be difficult to stress why you think this brand is the best as

it is no longer in business. Now while I do not know every intricate

detail about why they went out of business. The "rumor" I heard

was that there was no one interested in the Pond family to take over

the business as Cecil desired retirement. Wild Bill is likely to know

the truth....I just don't.

Good luck!

Duff

Devin, along with what the other fellows are offering for reasons and information, you might take a few minutes to look at this old thread from the forum:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=990

Depending on how you set up your presentation and what AV equipment might be available to you, it could be cool to select a few of the pictures and make them into slides in a Powerpoint presentation. If your school has a computer lab and/or you have some friends who are into computers, it should be a pretty easy process. Heck, chances are you already know how to do this yourself, as at least one friend of yours has said you're a pretty talented student! :whistle:

Good luck!

Duff :thumbs:

Michael Bullington

:thumbs: This is a great question!

For me it just looking at Ponds whole wheel Horse story.

Wow Its the American Dream!

Imagine him now coming to these Wheel Horse shows at his age and seeing all this red.

With all his ideals that changed the face of lawn and garden

I bet he never thought there would be collectors like us!

Rideawaysenior

Devin,

Along with what everyone else did say, Wheel Horse was made famous by all that was previousley mentioned. Some of the most significant innovations were designed by Wheel Horse Engineers. The Uni Drive has case hardened all steel gears that are in line. This means no bevel cut gears are used. Bevel cuts are a weak spot in many cases. The in line gearing also applies a direct pressure on bearings as opposed to pressure and thrust pressure. I also believe that Wheel Horse also pioneered the now hydrostatic transmission which uses hydraulic power and pressure to provide wheel drive.

Wheel Horse also was the first ride on lawn and garden tractor produced and offered to the general public.

I hope this helps and I'm sure that most of what I said is correct. It's information I've learned over the years from this site and from reading Michael Martino's book which is a good overview of the Wheel Horse History.

Good luck with your report.

Jack

Rod(NASNUT)

It is one of the most durable designs (Re: unidrive), made with the best components available (re: Kohler).... Except for the Tecumseh ones

:thumbs:

Rod(NASNUT)

Devin, they are the best how many others are still around when they are as old as some of the ones that are here. Also bell I don't care what engine thay have thay are still a Wheel Horse to me :thumbs:

fritz

hey every one. i am at school. doing my speech work. but i need some ones approval to use this site since it is a forum and i have to cite my sources. like one or two mods would work. and alos will i need to ask the people that posted the pics to be able to use the pics in my report/speech?? well thank you every one. i hope to get more replys. ill make a copy of my speech and post it on here when im done. that could be awhile tho. it aint due till feb 3.

thank you all

devin

bell

:thumbs:

Rod, you forgot the :whistle: and the :lol: I agree that the Tecumseh ones are just as good as the Kohler ones... they are all Wheel Horse... It was just a friendly :whistle:

I do prefer the Kohler ones (personal preference) but I have been known to have a few Techy ones.

Devin, maybe you could talk Wild Bill into a "pull-off" in the school parking lot... That way the class could see the Wheel Horse rip the guts out of a deere.... lol :dunno:

CasualObserver

hey every one. i am at school. doing my speech work. but i need some ones approval to use this site since it is a forum and i have to cite my sources. like one or two mods would work. and alos will i need to ask the people that posted the pics to be able to use the pics in my report/speech?? well thank you every one. i hope to get more replys. ill make a copy of my speech and post it on here when im done. that could be awhile tho. it aint due till feb 3.

thank you all

devin

Devin, send a PM to whchris. Although this is a free forum, Chris is the one who set it up and owns the administration of it.

Teddy da Bear

I don't know about you guys.....

But I am getting pretty excited about this report.

Maybe we ought to pay Devin's class a little

visit and hear this report for ourselves.

Better yet....we get the school to put on

an assembly so everyone can hear Devin. :whistle::whistle:

But seriously Devin... If there is a way you or a friend

could video it for us.....we would be thrilled to see it!!!! :thumbs:

There are also some other points of interest you might work

into your speech.

A wheel horse tractor "did" appear in a motion picture with

Chevy Chase "Funny Farm" in 1988 an I believe according to

info...was presented with a tractor for his own.

You might want to check out and read the "From the Horses Mouth"

The wheel horse story. That will tell you much of the history

of the company and it's products.

Michael Bullington

Man Teddy Bear, :thumbs: Now I got to go rent this movie to see this wheel horse :whistle:

CasualObserver

Michael... gimme a few minutes with the search engine... this has been discussed a while back. There was a WH in "Follow that Bird" too.

Teddy da Bear

I once googled Chevy and Funny Farm and came up with

a movie bill with a characachure (spellling?) of him sitting

on the tractor..

Maybe Devin could find it and use it in some sort of

presentation? :thumbs:

fritz

I'd like to say thank you all. I hope to get more ideas. I will check and see about recording my presentation. Thank yuo all. I want to rent that movie funny farm now.

Thank you,

Devin

BPjunk

All right Devin,

Get your pencil out ...... (Uh do they still use pencils in school?)

You said this speech is for a persuasive speech meaning you want to persude or make people see your point of veiw on why a Wheel Horse is a better brand of garden tractor.

OK first bring up the FACT that Wheel Horse has been building garden tractors since 1946 and had over 14 years of exsperiance building garden tractors while other manufactures like Sears, Cub Cadet and John Deere were still wearing diapers! Now don't use those exact words as this is part of a speech that I am giving at a tractor show in Florida next month, but use the idea that Wheel Horse has been in buisness long before other makes. (remember to be fair I can not write this for you but I will help) The Wheel Horse brand was the first to make a riding garden tractor and used common building materials to keep the cost down. Interchangabilty of parts between Wheel Horse tractor models also made the tractor less exspencive.

By not making a Wheel Horse complex the average owner could take care of the service maintenance themselves and even though Wheel Horse has a wide dealership network for replacment parts a person could service a repair from what scrap metal was laying around. (remember back them a person had more time for things like repairs and they would do their own work) Grease fittings and engine oil drains are set up for easy access. Wheel Horse had a average of 6 grease fittings per tractor while other brands only used 3, thus providing longer life o the tractor. With a simple belt drive system vibration was kept way down in the drive line, where as direct drive systems tend to send engine vibrations back to the transmission causing unecessary wear.

Installing attachments is very easy on Wheel Horses as they was only three types of hitches used for over 60 years and all use a 1/2 inch pin to hold the connection, a slot type , a clevis type and a Brinley type (for Non Wheel Horse attachments). Other tractor makes used tube type hitches and a confusing menagerie of bracketry. Mower decks on Wheel Horse takes only 30 seconds to intsall by way of moving two levers holding the deck which of course also allows for floating deck making a nicer cut on the lawn. Most other brands you have to get out a complete set of tools for nut and bolt installation to install a mower deck.

Wheel Horse has 109 attachments ranging from mower decks to welders and cup holders to a AM radio ..... just try to find a garden tractor at Sears that can claim that! (I might use this line in my speech too)

Now for the back bone of a garden tractor, Wheel Horse built the Uni-Drive transmission. A cast iron housing with straight cut gears built in a automotive type slide gear with counter shaft arrangment. The Uni-drive uses heavy weight gear oil unlike cheaper brands that use a light weight grease that will not allow lube to get in all areas of the transmission. The Uni-drive has kept the same basic design since 1961 where as some brands changed every year making replacment parts controll imposible.

Wheel Horse has always painted their tractors red .... the color a tractor is supposed to be not yellow and white or purple and green that would get mixed up with the kids toys in the back yard . These garden tractors look and work like just like the big tractors while lsting just as long.

In conclusion the years of exsperiance, simpe to maintain, ease of working with the attachments and a strong transmission will keep me off other lesser brands of garden tractors and in the seat of my Wheel Horse.

Now ifn's this don't get you a A+ .... jus' let me know and I will hook a 5/8th chain from the buisness end of one of my Wheel Horses to the front end of the teachers car ...... for a little personal class demonstration!

Coadster32

Now don't use those exact words as this is part of a speech that I am giving at a tractor show in Florida next month

Can we get that speech taped also :thumbs:

BPjunk

Can we get that speech taped also :thumbs:

I'm pretty sure that speech will get video taped too. :whistle: And rest assured there will be humor thrown in. :whistle:

I hope to have a power point presentation showing pictures from the Wheel Horse Show along with the work Wheel Horses can do. :dunno:

fritz

please record your speech to mister bp. :thumbs: o well i got one more thing. i need a book resource. i dont know where a copy of straight from the horses mouth. but is there any way i could download it and just read it on my computer?? or a magizine articlewould work if i could find one?? well if any one has any ideas please tell me. thank you all

devin