mac15b

C 81 Transmission questions

mac15b

I recently acquired a C81... however it has it's share of issues. First off, it HAD low and high range... but low is gone out of it. Any ideas as to what might cause that? Second, a friend of mine was helping me work on it and lost the bottom drain plug out of it. Anyone have any idea what size plug should go back in it? I'm wanting to restore this for my son... it will be his first tractor! Thanks!

pfrederi

What do you mean by "Low is gone out of it".  Did it used to work?  Does the high low lever move all the way over to the low position? It should move almost to teh end of the slot in the cover If th handle only goes halfway you are not engages.  You may have to try a couple of times to include rocking the tractor back an forth a bit to get it engaged.  Do Not use a lot of force on the lever you will bend the shift fork.

mac15b

It never worked since I've had it... when I got it, it would not "click" into gear. High range will, but low won't. Everything else works like it should in the high range. As a matter of fact, the range selector was wired so that it would not shift out of high range. The guy I got it from didn't know anything about it as he had picked this up at a yard sale several years ago.

meadowfield

it's likely the shift fork has worn away, or broken off through extreme use or abuse.

I think its a take apart and fix job....

• Like 2

pfrederi

One simple check.  There is a roll pin (#81) that goes through the high/low shifter and the shaft going into the tranny make sure it hasn't seared off.  That would let the handle move but not engage the fork.

If that is in good shape I am afraid you are going to have to open up the tranny.

shift.JPG

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

!/4 -18 npt on the drain plug... any hardware store will have them.

mac15b

Thanks for the input guys! I'll take a look at the shifter this afternoon and see what's up! Also, thanks WHX9 for the drain plug size!