Sign in to follow this  
fritz

demolition derby

fritz

hi every one. i am 15 and i done a demoltion derby last year with lawn mowers i used a montgomery ward i belive was wat it was beneath the paint. this year i am using a wheel horse. it is a 1970 raider 10. i dont like the idea of using a wheel horse. but i think it is the strongest thing that can hold up to being hit and beat. i am gonna be putting a 18 hp briggs and stratton opposed twin cylinder on the demo horse. i dont know if i am gonna put snapper tires on the front so that its lower or if i am gonna put trailer tires that are rubber allthe way through. which tires do you all think i should use? and also does any one have any other ideas??

thank you all. do you think a hydrostat would be better?? :thumbs:

rwilson

Dude I will buy the wheelhorse from you just so it dont get smashed. I hate seeing good old wheelhorse's getting smashed or even scraped. I dont think its a good idea. That tractor is worth more sitting in the weeds. I will trade you an old bolens for it. I just hate to see it happen. :thumbs:

Michael Bullington

A Wheel Horse is not a good choice, frame is too narrow..leaving you engine exposed too much. and you will definately loose. Use a wide body much safer and faster! :whistle:

Let the ole horse rest...give him to a good home! :thumbs: :horseplay: :whistle:

BairleaFarm

:imstupid: idea in my opinion. Now ive done my number of stupid things but never deliberately destroyed a wheel horse.

T-Mo

Fritz,

I know you're young, so I can give you some leeway. But, I agree with the others here. If you want to ruin a good piece of equipment, use a Craftsman or a MTD product. They're disposable anyways, but to deliberately smashed a Wheel Horse is criminal and if we find you, the consequences will be great and your punishment severe. :thumbs:

Sparky

I'm totally against the destruction of a Wheel Horse in this way.

But if your determined to use an old GARDEN tractor and not a cheep throw away lawn mower get an old Cub Cadet with the cast iron front grill.

But be prepared to get yelled at when you show up with it at the Derby by the Cub Cadet followers.

Mike.........

WHC-125

I had an Ariens that I switched the pulleys on and it did like 35 mph :thumbs:

And a craftman that I drove in the woods for driving through mud then pulling it out with my quad or a wheel horse :whistle:

Docwheelhorse

Don't wreck the horse... I have a twin cylinder craftsman hydrostatic lawn trator sitting here that I will trade you for the horse. Take out the mouse nest, put in a fresh battery and go destroy the thing. Killing a 1970 Wheel Horse is akin to taking one of us diehards out back and putting a slug in the back of our head. :thumbs:

T.F.T.E.T.O.O.H :whistle:

Tony For The Ethical Treatment Of Old Horses

Duff

Fritz, I think most of us will support your sport, just not your choice of machines. I ran a few demo derbies in the "Junior Divison" years ago with cars. It's a real rush, no doubt, so I think I can appreciate your interest! :thumbs:

I also realize the point is to win by outlasting and outmuscling the rest of the pack, but sacrificing a collectible tractor may not be the best choice. These are machines that will never be built again, and are among the best (maybe even the best!) this country ever produced. If we sound a little protective, it's because we appreciate that the number of our tractors is going down. Lots went to scrap when the price of metal was still high, and others have been allowed to rust away in back yards. A lot of us have rescued machines headed for the junkyard and have been able to bring them back to life. It's a great feeling. :horseplay:

There are a bunch of guys your age among our members who have really gotten into restoring and using these red tractors. I don't know your situation, but I would ask you to give this some thought. While it may not be "cool" in your neighborhood right now to be able to show off a really nice machine you've rebuilt with your own hands and will last you probably most of the rest of your life, somewhere down the road I'll bet you'll find the same love and respect for these machines the rest of us have if you'll give it a chance.

If some of our other younger members read this and agree, please chime in with your thoughts and experiences!

...and best of luck with your derby!

Duff :whistle:

TJ

If some of our other younger members read this and agree, please chime in with your thoughts and experiences!

...and best of luck with your derby!

Duff :thumbs:

I'm 59, but my ex-wife thought I never grew up. I agree with Duff and the others............and my ex. :whistle:

Give the WH a good home. :whistle:

oldandred

My goodness what has this world come to Man i can give you a searas with a twin on it to wreck its already painted black so running to other tractor want hurt it and like some else said the horse frams are to narrow.

:omg::lol::D:thumbs::whistle::whistle::dunno:

save a life a wheel horse that is

evanloock

Wow, just when I think nothing will surprise me......something like this pops up. Unbelievable!

Kelly

I agree if you have to use a real tractor use a Cub with the cast iron nose, or find a throw away tractor, I know first hand derbys can be FUN a rush you just can't get anywhere else, he's pic's of one of my derby cars 100_6915.jpg

ready for battle

100_6957.jpg

head to head last two cars running

100_6956.jpg

I got under him and rolled him

100_6977.jpg

next day I broke the trans in two

100_6974.jpg

tire marks up to the roof

CasualObserver

Yep, In my humble opinion, if you are in this to win, you need somewhere between a 66-70 Cub. The frame was wider than the Wheel Horse, and is probably going to withstand more impact force. The Wheel Horse frame serves it's purpose well, but is only a couple pieces of angle iron. It is too lightweight for the forces you'll be subjecting it to. Look at how badly the back plate of the frame cracks with just snow blade use. (It's been discussed here many, many, many times already.) The Cub transmission are direct driveshaft into the same rear end that were in the larger Farmall Cub tractors. Only difference was the driveshaft and axle length. The era I'm thinking of is a slant grill where the bottom sticks out farther. You'll have that much more protection because you'll basically be ramming with the front end of the frame. The cast iron nose on those puppys weighs somewhere between 40-50 lbs I think. Not that I want to see any vintage garden tractor demo'ed, please go into the sport as you should any sport. Make informed decisions, seek the advice of others who know, and most importantly, heed some of that advice. Lastly Fritz, good luck... DON'T "break a leg!"

fritz

:whistle: well sorry to make any of yall mad. i didnt mean to. would it be smart to use a gravely?? how would i keep the engine protected?? where could i find a cub 105?? or another cub. perferable hydro?? i didnt mean to offend any of yall. i just thought that since wheel horse was the best it would last. i am trying to build and restore my first wheel horse but funds are hard to do that with. i appreciate everything yall have done for wheel horses. i hope i can have a red one. thank you all. please dont hate me foreever :thumbs:

dvin

Sparky

:whistle: well sorry to make any of yall mad. i didnt mean to. would it be smart to use a gravely?? how would i keep the engine protected?? where could i find a cub 105?? or another cub. perferable hydro?? i didnt mean to offend any of yall. i just thought that since wheel horse was the best it would last. i am trying to build and restore my first wheel horse but funds are hard to do that with. i appreciate everything yall have done for wheel horses. i hope i can have a red one. thank you all. please dont hate me foreever :thumbs:

dvin

I doubt anyone here hates you but this is a Wheel Horse only site and if you post about "smashing" a Wheel Horse on purpose its gonna ruffle feathers. Try going to a Cub Cadet only site and post that your gonna use a Cub from the 60's for a Demo Derby tractor and see what kind of response you get. Probably the same as you got here.

Now you say your low on funds to build or restore one of your Wheel Horses? Well why dont you sell the one you planned on wrecking and put those funds into fixing the one you want to fix.

Just my opinion,

Mike............

fritz

ok. i wont use a wheel horse. do you guys think pulls are a waist?? in my opinion its doing the same thing. i mite try to get a gravely going or a cubby??? where would i find a cub cadet? that raider 10 i think ill find a little 8 or 10 hp and put a blade on it. unless any one wants a raider 10?? i could sell it if it ment that i could get my 1076 going and rebuilt. thank you all

devin

HorseFixer

ok. i wont use a wheel horse. do you guys think pulls are a waist?? in my opinion its doing the same thing. i mite try to get a gravely going or a cubby??? where would i find a cub cadet? that raider 10 i think ill find a little 8 or 10 hp and put a blade on it. unless any one wants a raider 10?? i could sell it if it ment that i could get my 1076 going and rebuilt. thank you all

devin

No! Pulling is not a Waste using a Wheel Horse. Because whats most likely going to go is the transmission and that can be fixed and repaired. What you were talking about before is doing deliberate destruction :whistle: And no I don't believe anyone is mad at you, we are just trying to guide you down the right path. The body parts on a WH are hard to fix or replace. Showing off and competing with a Wheel Horse in a pull is kinda like showing it's true ability off and excepted by most of us! :thumbs: I agree with everyone else buy something Else to deliberately wreck for a derby! :whistle:

whfan74

Don't take the wisdom of those that have been around these tractors for so long the wrong way. I won't repeat what has already been stated to you.....all advice from the rest of the members is with good intentions.

If you are truly wanting to get rid of the Raider 10 it would be great to see some pictures and what you think a fair price for it would be.

Good luck with derby or pulling.....I wish you the best!

fritz

i am taking the advice. im not gonna put my wheel horse in the demo. ill use a gravely or buy this guys sears off him. im sorry if it seems im not taking advice. i just dont know how to protect and engine on a gravcely. or find a cub cadet. i will try to get picks. i dont have a spare engine for it or i would mostlikely keep it. anyone got a 10 hp kohler?? or also a 8 hp kohler?? if so please let me know. thank you all. if any one else has any other ideas please let me know to.

devin

pond195520032003

Devin, try looking on ebay or craigslist for a cub or what ever! an old crapsman/mtd would work :whistle: could also try your local mower repair shop for mowers out back :thumbs:

Teddy da Bear

One of the comments was uncalled for....... <_<

But yeah Devin.......we are trying to save these for the future.

And I really never heard of garden tractor demolition derbies.

Sound like a good way to get hurt like a broken leg if one of

the other tractors comes up on you.

In an automobile derby....the car is required to have safety

devices like a roll cage I believe.

T-Mo

One of the comments was uncalled for.......:whistle:

Sorry, Mike, but which one....... :whistle: There were a lot of comments made, almost everyone with humor or with concern. Remember the mods here will determine if a comment was uncalled for, if any. If you see an uncalled for comment, send a mod a pm, even if the mod made the comment. We don't want to offend anyone, unless it's you. :thumbs:

Teddy da Bear

Actually T-mo....it was you.....

to deliberately smashed a Wheel Horse is criminal and if we find you, the consequences will be great and your punishment severe. :thumbs:

No need to scare the fella.... Whether you thought you were just kidding...

Devin doesn't. He feels like the whole square is mad at him.

He just got carried away with excitement in "representing" wheel horse and

never stopped to think of the aftermath and how people would feel about it.

T-Mo

See, Mike, that's the problem, if you ain't got humor and take this stuff too serious, then your life is going to be miserable. Like I said all things said here was with humor and concern for an abused Wheel Horse. Chill, man. :whistle:

Devin,

All things said here was in jest - not meant to demean you, nor to scare you. :thumbs: