C-121uk

Cub Cadet 70 restore

Racinbob

WOW!! That's some fine work. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Like 3

C-121uk
Just now, Racinbob said:

WOW!! That's some fine work. Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks, it was a huge job and there is so much I haven't listed but I am extremely pleased with how she turned out.

Jerry77

Very nice work....I too am partial to the early cub cadets.....:)

• Like 1

C-121uk
3 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

Very nice work....I too am partial to the early cub cadets.....:)

I would love a CC Original but I only know of about two in the UK, I was very lucky when I saw this come up for sale but I had to pay the price, i'm at about £1600/ $2000 all in with the resto.

Edited by C-121uk
spelling

Jerry77
54 minutes ago, C-121uk said:

CC Original

I had one for 20 years ( 1961 original - no fenders / 7hp Kohler )...traded it in on a new 312-8 -  they gave me next to nothing for it - should have kept it - hindsight being 20/20...lol..my wheel horses have been better machines, but I really liked the old cub..:) you did a splendid job on yours..

• Like 2

HorseHead1089

what paint did you use? aslo rattle can or airgun setup? I have a cub cadet 100 that i wish to restore to the same level as this, sometime soon, excellent work.

• Like 1

C-121uk
3 minutes ago, HorseHead1089 said:

what paint did you use? aslo rattle can or airgun setup? I have a cub cadet 100 that i wish to restore to the same level as this, sometime soon, excellent work.

Thanks, I used a brand called Vapormatic, its just enamel paint which I thinned and used in an airgun setup. Nothing fancy but I am pleased with the finish although it does chip easy if i'm not careful.

HorseHead1089

Thanks!

• Like 1

Ken B

Awesome work bringing that one back from the dead!

• Like 1

T-Mo

Very nice work.  I believe your dad added pictures of this tractor at one of the shows he attended.  The pictures are in a thread above for the UK shows, I think.

In my opinion, the 70 and 100 are the best looking and most desirable Cub Cadets.  I like them a lot better than the CC Original since the Original has a belt in the drive train.  The Original has the frame turn upside down from the 70 and the rest of the Cub Cadets, so the engine sits too low in the frame and aren't inline with the transmission.  Therefore, IH put a pulley and a belt to drive the driveshaft back to the transmission.  In 1963 when the 70 and 100 came out, IH flipped the frame over raising the engine and therefore putting it inline with the transmission eliminating the belt and pulley that was needed in the Original.  Also, the Original sits way too low for comfortable driving in my opinion.

C-121uk
2 hours ago, Ken B said:

Awesome work bringing that one back from the dead!

Thanks! :)

40 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Very nice work.  I believe your dad added pictures of this tractor at one of the shows he attended.  The pictures are in a thread above for the UK shows, I think.

In my opinion, the 70 and 100 are the best looking and most desirable Cub Cadets.  I like them a lot better than the CC Original since the Original has a belt in the drive train.  The Original has the frame turn upside down from the 70 and the rest of the Cub Cadets, so the engine sits too low in the frame and aren't inline with the transmission.  Therefore, IH put a pulley and a belt to drive the driveshaft back to the transmission.  In 1963 when the 70 and 100 came out, IH flipped the frame over raising the engine and therefore putting it inline with the transmission eliminating the belt and pulley that was needed in the Original.  Also, the Original sits way too low for comfortable driving in my opinion.

Thanks, yeah it would have been at our Wheel Horse meet up, i'll have a look.

Do you mean they flipped the frame to 'lower' the engine? I believe the engine was lower so that they could use a straight driveshaft.

T-Mo

The Original had the frame upside down, so yeah, I got it backwards.  The 70 and 100 had the angle irons pointed up therefore it lower the engine to be inline with the transmission.  Sorry, I just had it backwards.  The Original had the angle irons pointed down so the engine was higher than the transmission and needed a pulley and belt to lower the driveshaft down to be inline with the transmission........

• Like 1

C-121uk
12 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

The Original had the frame upside down, so yeah, I got it backwards.  The 70 and 100 had the angle irons pointed up therefore it lower the engine to be inline with the transmission.  Sorry, I just had it backwards.  The Original had the angle irons pointed down so the engine was higher than the transmission and needed a pulley and belt to lower the driveshaft down to be inline with the transmission........

I think it was a good modification they made, I prefer the look of the lower engine and there is no risk of a slipping belt :D

Edited by C-121uk

wrightorchid

Very well done.  A beautiful result, and certainly one to be proud of.  Thanks for posting all of the pictures.  

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Still have my dad's original running and mowing but needing a refreshing once again after 25 years, Wondering what paint you used as I haven't been able to locate the original IH CC yellow and white, Jeff.

IMAG1752.jpg

00505_jlJkEgnccXv_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

C-121uk
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Still have my dad's original running and mowing but needing a refreshing once again after 25 years, Wondering what paint you used as I haven't been able to locate the original IH CC yellow and white, Jeff.

IMAG1752.jpg

00505_jlJkEgnccXv_600x450.jpg

Hi Jeff, nice tractor, as above I used a brand called Vapormatic enamel paint, don't know whether its available in the US, the colours where IH white and JCB industrial yellow, i'm really happy with the colours, I matched them to pieces of original paint and I couldn't tell the difference.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Cool thanks a bunch.

• Like 1

WHX??

Nice work :handgestures-thumbupright: I think many of us here can attest to the amount of work that goes into this kind of project & you did it excellent. it looks like you had the good fortune to inherit your dad's fabrication skills!

• Like 1

Digger 66

Stunning ! 

I'm dizzy .

• Like 1

richmondred01

Outstanding job.

or as they say in the UK......brilliant 

• Like 1

VY2

In the middle of restoring a 70 from my dad that passed away late last year. He loved CC’s and doing this to remember him. 

Enjoyed looking at your pics, a question or two if you do not mind. How did you disconnect your engine from the drive shaft? I want to remove the engine for painting.

Also did you take the frame off from the rear end & transmission to paint or just work around them? 

thank you in advance for your help,

VJ2

• Like 1

VY2

C-121uk,

Not sure you’ll ever see this due to you posts being 3yrs old but I just noticed your 70 drive train is belt driven and mine is directly from the engine shaft. 

Thanks & again nice job. 

Edited by VY2
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
10 minutes ago, VY2 said:

C-121uk,

Not sure you’ll ever see this due to you posts being 3yrs old but I just noticed your 70 drive train is belt driven and mine is directly from the engine shaft. 

Thanks & again nice job. 

Which post # are you referring to? #16 and 17 are an Original Cub Cadet that are belt driven to the clutch/drive shaft then 3 years later on the model 70 and 100 went direct shaft driven.

VY2

Thanks WV, by no means am I an expert on when these models changed designs in the drive chain. I wish mine was belt driven as I would have been several days ahead :-)   I’m just looking for the best way to detach the engine from the drive chain. I’ve attached a photo of what I have. D34ABD50-396B-4699-91AC-837191912130.jpeg.547c2eb3dbe3f65489a2ec0c5d896f4a.jpeg
thanks for your response. 
VY2