Sign in to follow this  
WHC-125

Fluid Change

WHC-125

How do you change the transmission fluid on a Lawn Ranger?

And how much does it hold? :thumbs:

Pictures would be helpful :whistle:

Red Horse

The way tranny fluid was changed on a Lawn Ranger is by opening up the 1/4 " pipe plug on the bottom left side of the transmission toward the rear of the tractor. The way you add tranny fluid is by removing the 3/8" pipe plug from the same side the drain plug is on but just behind the axle housing. It's just to the left of the hitch as you face the rear of the tractor. Easiest way to do this is by taking the rear wheel off and having a bit more room to move around. A quick way to drain the tranny is by having the fill plug removed prior to opening the drain plug.Goes a lot quicker. Fill up the level of the fill hole with a decent 40 wt oil. You'll need about 3 pints for a completely empty tranny. Good luck.

kpinnc

Fill up the level of the fill hole with a decent 40 wt oil.

Per the Mechanical Transmission repair manual, You should use 90W gear oil, not 40W. Lawn Ranger transmissions did vary over the production years, but this recommendation applies to all of them.

You didn't specify what year your Ranger is, though I see your siggy has a 1966 model listed for sale. This is just FYI:

1962 32R and 32E- Model 5025 Unidrive

1963 33R and 33E- Model 5025 Unidrive

1964 34R and 34E- Model 5046 Unidrive

1965 L105 and L155- Model 5048 Unidrive

1966 L106 and L156- Model 5053 Unidrive

1967 L107 and L157- Model 5053 Unidrive

1968 1-2631 and 1-1631- Model 5053 Unidrive

All of the trannies were basically the same, with very few differences. That's why the transmission manual specifies the same oil used in all of them.

Kevin

Red Horse

Kevin, Was that a typo on page 2 of the 1967 owner's manual that said to use 40 wt oil? I would have thought it to be 90 as well but thats what the owners manual said so...???

WHC-125

So about 3 pints of 80-90w

Thats what I use in the C-125 :thumbs:

Red Horse

Yeah 3 points if its bone dry other than that if you are just topping off it just has to come up to the bottop of the fill hole .

kpinnc

Kevin, Was that a typo on page 2 of the 1967 owner's manual that said to use 40 wt oil? I would have thought it to be 90 as well but thats what the owners manual said so...???

Not sure Red. I've seen that too.

But, the 5053 tranny was used in other machines as well. The repair manual also covers all of the trannys listed in my previous post in a single chapter. My thoughts on the whole thing are based on just three points:

1- You can't go wrong using 90W oil in a Unidrive, unless you live in Antarctica. Of course I am talking about 3(4) or 6(8) speeds, not hydrostatics.

2- If there IS a discrepancy between the two manuals, I will ALWAYS go with the service manual's recommendation.

3 The EXACT same tranny, aside from Lawn Rangers, is used in other machines as well:

--1966 models 606, 656, 856, 1046, 1056.

--1967 models 607, 657, 857.

--1968 models 500 Special, Commando 6, Commando 8

--1969 Workhorse 700

I don't have any of these additional models, or the manuals to them. So again, I would go with what the Mechanical Transmission Repair manual recommends.

Kevin

WHC-125

I hahad a chance to change the fluid because it has been so cold but can someone give me some pics of where the fill plug is and drain plug is :thumbs:

BPjunk

Keep in mind that ther have been a lot of changes in oil since the mid 60's. And depending on where you live and the tempetures you operate your Wheel Horse in will be significant in the type of oil you will need.

Wheel Horse did require a lighter straight weight oil in the early 60's but has since changed to a 90-140 weight GL-5 gear oil for the gear type Uni-Drives. I use here in Richmond, Va. for our hot summers 85-140 weight.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

WHC-125

Bill,

I was going to use 80-90w

I need to get the fluid change done during the week because I think my Lawn Ranger is sold :thumbs: