Lane Ranger

701/702 Aluminum Gas Tank Bung

Lane Ranger

A friend here in Indiana and I are working on 702 parts for restorations .    We both need to find out where to get a  gas tank bung that goes in the bottom of the gas tank on the 701 and 702 tractors.    

The one piece  (and may be on some two piece tanks but I am note sure.   I know most two piece tanks did not have the 2  1/2  hole) tank bung also has a  threded hole in the center to install the sediment bowl that set underneth the tank and  from which the gas line ran to the motor.

Here are pictures of my New Old Stock one piece gas tank.

Anyone know where we can buy  a  bung or tank plug that will work to install  in these tank bottoms for a sediment bowl or shutoff valve for the gas line?

I would apprecaite any  suggestions.

005.JPG

006.JPG

This third photo shows the bung under my 701 Wheel Horse gas tank with a threaded extension pipe coming down into a plastic gas shutoff valve.

007.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger

Racinbob

That may be a standard NPT size. I don't know for sure. If it is you could get a pipe plug and drill and tap it for the fitting. :think:

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Bob:    That is what I was thinking  might need to be done.        Seaching for these odd parts is always a challenge.     50 years ago we made a lot more stuff for various applications that have No Application today!

Thee are several  bung manufactures that make different types, sizes, etc.  I  have not found one yet that makes a  2 1/2  inch  wide one.

Here is one that a big varierty   bung king.

http://www.bungking.com/gas-tanks/

Also  I know they make more PVC  plugs then  metal ones now.    Not sure how a PVC plug could be made to work.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0471742

Edited by Lane Ranger

rmaynard

I wonder if ABS would hold up to petroleum? MSC Direct has a 2-1/2" ABS plug.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63274096

Here's another alternative.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-2-1-2-in-Brass-DWV-Cleanout-Plug-42371/100204394

Lane Ranger

Bob:   Is  ABS   something that can be drilled ?    We would still need to have a 1/4  link for  gas shutoff valve or sediment bowl installation.

gwest_ca

2" pipe has a 2-3/8" OD.

2-1/2" pipe has a 2-7/8" OD.

Garry

• Like 1

rmaynard

Hmm...  I have an old 702 tank in the shop that is missing the bung. I will take a look at the threads and diameter.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

This is what an original plug looks like.   Not my photos and I  don't have measurements  but   may be more like 2.25 than  2 1/2  inche wide

16251293_1494047287320584_1108586446_o.jpg

16325854_1494047453987234_493365248_o.jpg

16251525_1494047390653907_1025840336_o.jpg

WHX??

Looks to me Lane the bung/plug in the NOS is not an NPT thread but the pics could be deceiving. Looks like it might have required some kind of gasket as well looking at the flange on the plug??? On the other hand your last pic in post 1 looks like it is just threaded in with perhaps some pipe dope or thread sealer?

Need to find out what actually is the size/thread then I can dig through a box of odd  plugs I have.... never know I may have one. Will have to look at my 702 to see what it has. You could get your mitts on a couple diffterent sizes of the cheap abs/pvc pipe plugs to see if they will seal up.

1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

Is  ABS   something that can be drilled

For sure but I would rather see you try and obtain  & drill tap a metal one eventually tho.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Ok  took  another picture of the  hole in the bottom of the gas tank  with a measuring tape.   Looks like  1 3/4  or  1 5/8  is the width.

Yes and looks like a seal or some form of gasket materials was on the plug to seal the hole.  

001.JPG

gwest_ca

1-1/4" pipe has a 1.660" OD. A tap drill is 1-1/2" for tapered pipe threads and 1-33/64" for straight threads. That should be very close to the thread ID.

1-1/2" pipe has a 1.900" OD. A tap drill is 1-47/64" for tapered pipe threads and 1-3/4" for straight threads. That should be very close to the thread ID.

Both sizes have 11.5 threads per inch.

Garry

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
On 1/23/2017 at 9:56 PM, Lane Ranger said:

A friend here in Indiana and I are working on 702 parts for restorations .    We both need to find out where to get a  gas tank bung that goes in the bottom of the gas tank on the 701 and 702 tractors.    

The one piece  (and may be on some two piece tanks but I am note sure.   I know most two piece tanks did not have the 2  1/2  hole) tank bung also has a  threded hole in the center to install the sediment bowl that set underneth the tank and  from which the gas line ran to the motor.

Here are pictures of my New Old Stock one piece gas tank.

Anyone know where we can buy  a  bung or tank plug that will work to install  in these tank bottoms for a sediment bowl or shutoff valve for the gas line?

I would apprecaite any  suggestions.

005.JPG

006.JPG

This third photo shows the bung under my 701 Wheel Horse gas tank with a threaded extension pipe coming down into a plastic gas shutoff valve.

007.JPG

I didnt realize that peice can unscrew lol. ill look at my dads 502 and my 701. but 701 i could of swore was alluminem welded up. ill be kicking myself in the *** if its replacable i had the 701 retapped because someone crossthreaded the shut off before i got the 701,