Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

Suburban hood dents

Coadster32

What is with the dents on the hood's top front of all the Suburbans I see. :thumbs: The wheels stick out past the hood, so how are these all getting dented up. The one I am restoring has it, the plow one I have has it, and most listed on e-bay has it. :whistle:

ol550

Are you talking about the fuel tank strap spot welds?

CasualObserver

If you mean a dented nose... probably from people pushing it from the front, and putting a knee into it. The steel isn't that thick... doesn't take much force to dimple it.

linen beige

Could also be because the brake band wouldn't always stop them and nosing a tree was better than heading out into traffic.

Or, as in the case of my 400, my brother was looking over his shoulder at the large dog that was gaining on him and didn't SEE the tree until he was a few feet up the trunk! :thumbs:

Using them to push stuff, kids climbing on them, running into trees, trees falling on them, sitting in the barn or field and having stuff piled on top of them,etc. The list goes on. The round hoods are forty five to over fifty years old. A lot of things can hit them in that many years.

Brian1045

In my line of work, anything with a rounded edge will dent A LOT easier than a square corner.

We build fridges at GE and we did away with the round edged doors for that reason alone.