Walleye

New Ohio member

Walleye

Hi everyone! I'm Freddie, from central Ohio. I'm a new Wheel Horse enthusiast.

It started with a clean 1977 C-160 that the previous owner left at my new house. While researching about it and fixing a few things that it needed, I saw a Wheel Horse Suburban and knew I wanted one. I've got a 2.5 year old nephew, son of a farmer, who of course loves tractors. I used him as justification to find and buy a Suburban. It'll be our thing and in a year or two I imagine he will be able to drive it himself. I figure it's a better and longer lasting gift than one of those PowerWheels toys - and I can keep it at my house ;)

Attached are 2 photos of the tractors. The C-160 has a mower deck, but I have stripped and kept the PTO related parts, as the tractor is used to pull my firewood trailer to and from the woods. I've always used John Deere 214's as work horses, but I REALLY like the simplicity of this C-160, and the fact that everything on it is so easily accessible.

The Suburban came with a non-running 3hp B&S, as well as a box of parts for a K90 that "needed a cam installed". Once I got it, I quickly realized why it needed a cam replacement - the engine had sat with water in the carb and intake port, seizing the valves. I assume someone tried to start or turn it over, and quickly snapped the camshaft. Otherwise the engine is in pretty good shape, and the crankshaft, rod, piston and cylinder walls all look phenomenal. I've got a lead on a running K91 that I intend to pick up tonight. Not sure if I'll opt to rebuild the K90 or sell/part it out but I'll keep it for the time being. This tractor's transmission needs new seals and at least input shaft bearings. I will find out what other bearings or potential parts it needs within the next few days as I tinker on it. The body on it is clean and straight, but has plenty of dried grease that I've been scrubbing off. Once I get the grease off, I'll get it washed up and oil coated again. I don't plan on painting it, other than possibly the new front wheels I'll need, and the rear wheels to match.

I'll be posting some pictures of my transmission, a 5010, with a few questions about it. I've done LOTS of research, but I will post pictures and get second opinions on what it needs.

20161213_123651.jpg20161216_184605.jpg

• Like 8

Sparky

Nice machines and a great introduction story!

:WRS:

Mike..........

• Like 3

T-Mo

:WRS::text-welcomeconfetti:

Welcome.  Nice looking C-160 and the patina on the Suburban is pretty grand itself.

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: Walleye..... nice tractors &:text-coolphotos:...got issues with them or just want to see what other folks have just ask! More than a few resident tranny pros here as well. Looks to be a solid seat pan on that 400 meaning an early '60 'burb!?!? :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX9

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:  :greetings-clapyellow:

:WRS:

obone

Glad to see another person from Ohio. Talk about the perfect score. Good luck on what I'm sure will be a fun adventure.

Walleye
34 minutes ago, obone said:

Glad to see another person from Ohio. Talk about the perfect score. Good luck on what I'm sure will be a fun adventure.

Thank you! I'm located maybe half an hour east of you. 

• Like 1

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

SylvanLakeWH

953 nut

:WRS:      Great intro., glad to have you with us. When the time comes to rebuild the Trans. the attached thread will come in handy.

The K-91 is a correct engine for the suburban, The K-90 would be right for an RJ.

10 hours ago, Walleye said:

saw a Wheel Horse Suburban and knew I wanted one. I've got a 2.5 year old nephew, son of a farmer, who of course loves tractors. I used him as justification to find and buy a Suburban.

Very creative thinking, you will fit in here just fine.  :ychain:

:WRS:      Great intro., glad to have you with us. When the time comes to rebuild the Trans. the attached thread will come in handy.

The K-91 is a correct engine for the suburban, The K-90 would be right for an RJ.

10 hours ago, Walleye said:

saw a Wheel Horse Suburban and knew I wanted one. I've got a 2.5 year old nephew, son of a farmer, who of course loves tractors. I used him as justification to find and buy a Suburban.

Very creative thinking, you will fit in here just fine.  :ychain:

Walleye

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I'll get some updated pictures up once I get the transmission sealed up, engine mounted, and gunk cleaned off the frame. I just got home from Indiana, where I picked up a K91 and a K90 that the seller also had. Both are clean engines..

I'm anxious to spend the next few days working on the transmission and putting it all back there as soon as I receive all seals and bearings (yet to be ordered as I don't know what all I need yet). I think I'll have a few questions about the different pulleys, but I'll cross that bridge after everything else is finished.

I will post a wanted ad soon, but I'm in the market for a factory throttle cable and mount, air cleaner assembly (or 2) and..... I'm not sure what else. 

roadapples

Buy a new house and get a free C160...Can`t beat a deal like that..:handgestures-thumbupright:   and    :WRS:

• Like 1

hermitman

welcome neighbor ! you cant be far from mansfield . just got another suburban i'm starting on. what fun...

jackhammer

Welcome Walleye   :text-coolphotos:

Walleye

Thanks again everyone for the welcome!

2 hours ago, hermitman said:

welcome neighbor ! you cant be far from mansfield . just got another suburban i'm starting on. what fun...

I'm 15 minutes from Mansfield. Sounds like I have a local resource for help/questions... ? ;) If nothing else, I may have to come look at your Suburban to determine how mine should be.

JC 1965

Love the C -160 and       :WRS:

• Like 1

hermitman

here's my cell. not always on computer ! 419.566.7338 Have a great holiday!!

oldlineman

Welcome to the form, If you are looking for bearings and seals check out wheelhorseman 1000, he has bearing and seal kits for many trans. he is a vender here.  

• Like 1

Walleye

I posted a transmission related thread here. I would appreciate everyone's feedback! 

Link to thread

Zeek

Welcome! You have lured :orcs-whip::wh:

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: Walleye

Great Intro and the C-160 is a nice perk when purchasing a home.  You will find all the help you can imagine here.  And they are FAST!!!!!

Jim

DougC

Hello and :text-welcomeconfetti:  Enjoy the forum.  :handgestures-thumbupright: