vmen84

led lights

vmen84

I was wondering if any of you guys knew of an inexpensive LED lights shush I can put in my tractor to replace the ones that I have now?

• Like 2

varosd

Which tractor do you have?

the late model tractors came with big round light and there are LED replacements

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

70's headlights were small automotive bulbs. less replacement choices but still in the super bright LED website, there are loads of bulbs to get started.

lots of debate on the white white bulbs aka cool white vs the warm "yellowish" bulbs preference

• Like 1

vmen84

b 100

• Like 1

varosd

standard 1156 automotive bulb like on a 1967 Camaro or dodge Dart.

they do have direct fit 1156 LED bulbs.

others have replaced the plastic headlight cover and put in a LED panel of lights or add a LED light bar with magnetic base on the hood just for plowing/snow throwing

• Like 3

Sarge

I've used the JDM ASTAR seller's 921 replacements in the '14 Dodge for it's reverse lamps - holy crap bright and about the same wattage draw as the oem incandescent bulbs .

I've been thinking about their 1156 replacement led with the 5730 chipsets for the old C-160 since it's headlights are so weak ....they aren't exactly cheap and you have to consider the vibration issue so you want a well made led that can take the abuse ...

https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Lumens-Chipsets-Projector/dp/B00VUP3Y34/ref=sr_1_24?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1479914167&sr=1-24&keywords=1156+led+bulb#nav-top

Or, this one from Superbrightleds.com -

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-27-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit/2622/

Even brighter yet - https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-can-bus-led-bulb-26-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit-car/1326/

It's worth the time and effort to do some research on vibration/heat resistant led's , certain chipsets and how they are built make a huge difference - for the price you want them to last . The candlepower forums are an excellent resource for knowledge...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?363910-1156-LED-replacement-bulb

Sarge

• Like 1

dirtnap

I wanted to add to this thread for users looking to replace the GE H7610 round halogen bulb found on the later models.  I just spoke to someone at superbrightleds.com and they told me that they do not have a direct replacement for those bulbs.

Any PAR36 LED bulb should work though.

Kinda pricey

Edited by dirtnap
  • Like 1

Sarge

There is also a trapezoid pattern led available - been eyeballing these for a deal lately for the D series since it's sealed beams throw light everywhere but on the ground...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAR36-Round-LED-Trapezoid-Beam-Bulb-Tractor-Aviation-Landing-Light/331809941752?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D6ac82cfe9d0e453faaced4f21afb344d%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D331672209494

If you really want to blind someone at the moon or space station -

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-62010-PAR-36-Lumen/dp/B00AMEMEQ2/ref=pd_sbs_60_42?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00AMEMEQ2&pd_rd_r=6ZHDRT639X8WMC3HGEP5&pd_rd_w=rpE8U&pd_rd_wg=FRQxo&psc=1&refRID=6ZHDRT639X8WMC3HGEP5

Just be wary of really cheap Chinese knockoffs - doubt they would last very long with the heat and vibration of our tractors .

Sarge

• Like 1

DennisThornton

@Aldon suggested these.  They are in my "Cart" with some other things:

$22.99

• Like 1

Sarge

Yes, those work well for the 1156 base - that same seller has some great 921 bulbs that I use in my '14 Dodge pickup to replace the anemic stock reverse lamps , what a difference . Even the dealer made a comment about it last time I had it in the shop , they were impressed to say the least , service manager wrote down the seller info I gave him right away .

Sarge

Aldon
16 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

@Aldon suggested these.  They are in my "Cart" with some other things:

$22.99

These are very bright to my eyes.

Anglo Traction

I put LEDs in about 4 years ago on both my Tractors. Fit straight into the original 1156 sockets. 68 SMD LEDs. The Buckets had Self Adhesive Chrome Mylar and S A polished Ali foil to cover the old vents-

DSC00724.JPGDSC00824.JPG

Much improved output. Also fitted LED bulbs in the Rear Lights using existing holders.   

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

vmen84

do you have the code number by chance?

• Like 1

55reasons
On 11/26/2016 at 2:24 PM, Anglo Traction said:

I put LEDs in about 4 years ago on both my Tractors. Fit straight into the original 1156 sockets. 68 SMD LEDs. The Buckets had Self Adhesive Chrome Mylar and S A polished Ali foil to cover the old vents-

DSC00724.JPGDSC00824.JPG

Much improved output. Also fitted LED bulbs in the Rear Lights using existing holders.   

I just saw this as I was getting ready to package my headlight bucket to have it chromed.

I read your post and googled “self adhesive chrome mylar” and got nothing but chrome vinyl.

I googled “S A polished Ali foil” and got no results at all.

Mind if I ask you for some links to the products you used, and how well it has held up ?

• Like 1

RED-Z06
On 5/20/2020 at 9:40 PM, 55reasons said:

I just saw this as I was getting ready to package my headlight bucket to have it chromed.

I read your post and googled “self adhesive chrome mylar” and got nothing but chrome vinyl.

I googled “S A polished Ali foil” and got no results at all.

Mind if I ask you for some links to the products you used, and how well it has held up ?

S A would be short for self adhesive

Inspectorjoe

I replaced the 1156's in my '73 14 Automatic with a a $20 pair of LED's from iSaveTractors. Although they don't direct the light directly toward the front, they're a huge improvement over the incandescents they replaced. I lined the bucket with aluminum foil. I'm cheap.

20210407_155753.jpg

20210407_160153.jpg

20210407_200937.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Maxwell-8
5 hours ago, Inspectorjoe said:

I replaced the 1156's in my '73 14 Automatic with a a $20 pair of LED's from iSaveTractors. Although they don't direct the light directly toward the front, they're a huge improvement over the incandescents they replaced. I lined the bucket with aluminum foil. I'm cheap.

20210407_155753.jpg

20210407_160153.jpg

Cheap great option! 

I use alloy foil also for a cheap exaust blanket

• Like 2

Handy Don
19 hours ago, Inspectorjoe said:

I lined the bucket with aluminum foil. I'm cheap.

Cheap maybe. Inventive and clever for sure. Looks good!

• Like 1

kpinnc

I used foil tape on the Charger bezel, and it worked OK. 

IMG_20211111_224027961.jpg

IMG_20211111_224005345.jpg

IMG_20211112_000328876.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 5

kpinnc

The previous mod works, and though it is far better than original lights- this mod makes headlights actually worthwhile. I'll be putting up a thread on this shortly.

IMG_20200925_214349359.jpg

IMG_20200925_214542544.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

emdmat1981

Was thinking about replacing the factory incandescent 1156 headlight bulbs in my 520xi plow tractor with the high lumen 1156 LED variety .. but am hearing that the voltage irregularities inevitably lead to premature LED failure.  Some guys even suggest using an inline voltage regulator (buck / boost converter) to maintain consistent voltage.   What are you guys seeing as far as longevity on the LED bulbs?  Also thinking about going the light bar route as an even brighter alternative.  

• Like 1

rjg854

I haven't had any problems using the LED 1156 bulbs, and some are 4-5 years old.   Make sure your hood is grounded well to the frame of the tractor, and all your grounds are in good shape.

• Like 1

peter lena

@vmen84  led lights are easy , and worth the change , IMOO , think the most important thing you can do is ENHANCE / VERIFY  GROUNDING  , START / FINISH .  DO NOT COUNT ON ORIGINAL SET UP . used 10-12 gage wire , from my battery ground bolt point , to your lights ,  used electrical lugs , no problems , solid switch / action function  .  all related lights are  bright , amperage draw is minimal , pete

emdmat1981

Thanks guys .. you talked me into the 1156 LEDs.  Will check the ground and enhance if necessary.  Appreciate the advice  !!!! 

• Like 1

Jayzauto

Most late model LED's contain internal circuitry to eliminate voltage fluctuations and A/C leakage.   I run the light ground directly to B-.... this will eliminate hood hinge voltage drop and future problems.

GLuck, Jay

• Like 1