chris sutton

Show Us Your Wood Stove

Coadster32

I like this thread. Unfortunatly..I don't have a picture handy. We live in a ranch, and have a fireplace insert in our living room. It's a Pacific Energy Vista stove. Take 18" logs. In the ceiling above it, I ran three 12inch pipes back to the supply side of our central air unit. (I put in blockers for the normal supply setup during the winter). Heats the house pretty evely. I'll try to get some pics for tomorrow.

• Like 3

Coadster32

Here's a pic I took last night. MIght be worth noting that all the firewood I get is "jonny on the spot" firewood. Have been burning for over 15 years, and haven't paid a dime. The way I see it, if I have to pay for firewood and do all the work, I'll just walk right over and turn up the thermostat.

IMAG0833.jpg

• Like 4

Fun Engineer

We went with a pellet stove after using a nice Vermont Castings Wood stove in our last home. I love cutting wood but it's gotten harder to do as I age and I really didn't like hand splitting the logs. So now I get my real fire fix outside in our fire pit. Here's some info in case anyone it thinking of going the pellet route. 

Our pellet stove is an Avalone "Arbor". It sits in the corner of our living room and heats 1380 square feet. 110 volts and a very short 3" chiminy through the side wall with 3" make up air.  It saves a lot on propane every year.  I use about 2 tons of pellets every year at +- $200 a ton. Probably save over $1500 on propane. I have it hooked to a programmable thermostat in the hallway to turn on at 6am and off at 11pm. Keeps the livingroom, kitchen and dining area at 70-72 and the bedrooms around 67. We used to run it 24/7 but when the power goes out it won't evacuate the smoke. If you loose power, smoke leaks out.😩  This is the main drawback to our stove so we shut it down at night and if we're going to be gone for any length of time. We keep the gas furnace set at 67 so anytime we're not home or at night the gas furnace heats the house. This helps keep some heat running through the heat runs in the crawl space which helps condition that area as well. 

Here's a couple of pictures of my current wood pile. Notice the lack of dirt, bark and melting snow 😝

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

wheelhorseman

My stove is an outside wood boiler. It heats the house, shop and water and I have also included some pictures of my wood shed and trolley system that I made to fill the stove.

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

Edited by wheelhorseman1000
  • Like 9

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, wheelhorseman1000 said:

My stove is an outside wood boiler. It heats the house, shop and water and I have also included some pictures of my wood shed and trolley system that I made to fill the stove.

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

You  definitely are THE wood stove man Lowell.

Free heat and hot water without the smoke, dirt, ashes, bugs, and danger of fire.

Gotta luv that well engineered wood transporter with the  opposite corner supports for easy loading.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

@wheelhorseman1000Lowell how often do you have to feed that monster?

wheelhorseman

Depends on the temperature of course but if it's below 20° out twice a day and above 20° once a day and if I'm just heating the water in the summertime about once every 5 to 6 days

• Like 4

DennisThornton
10 hours ago, wheelhorseman1000 said:

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

I sure like the trolley system!

• Like 2

Coadster32

That whole setup is pretty sweet. A+ on the trolly system.

• Like 2