Sign in to follow this  
73-18 automatic

Wheelhorse rear engine rider

73-18 automatic

Ok I worked on this for a friend of mine now he say's that he does not want it and that I can have it if I want it OF COURSE I SAID YES so he said he would bring it to me this week but was wondering if they are worth anything thanks for the info oh it is a rear engine with a 8hp briggs ok looks like it was made by Toro

hodge

I don't think they are very collectible or worth a fortune, but if you like it, more power to you!

I have one that blew an engine, and never saw a need to do anything with it.

73-18 automatic

AS I remember it was in really great shape had been kept inside all the time but he is having problems with it shutting off after it runs for awhile but he said he would give it to me so it's FREE

hodge

Free is good!

WHC-125

FREE IS ME :banana: :banana:

Rideawaysenior

Doug,

There were a a few versions of rear engine riders that Wheel Horse produced. There was the ever famed Reo which was it's own company that was bought out by Wheel Horse in its earlier years in order to introduce a rear engine rider to the market. In the late 70's early 80's, there was the A series offering an electric version, 5hp gas, 8hp gas, and 11hp gas. Then again the mid 80s, the 100 series was introduced. Once Toro took over, they started to throw the Wheel Horse on their product which in its own is a good machine, but will never measure up to the Wheel Horse legend.

They are what they are, mowers mostly however snow blades were available for all but the Reo. I've seen a few at the show. I have an A81 that I picked up just to have. It's a neat looking machine. As far as value, I think they are worth no more then someone is willing to pay for it. Collection standpoint, they are not on the hot list, but still were badged with the Wheel Horse name, and that has to mean something.

73-18 automatic

Thanks for the info :hide:

Sparky

Heres a picture of a Maroon Stripe Rear engine rider owned by Kelly. I've never seen one with a snow-blade. Hard to imagine it could actually move snow :hide: .

Mike..........

111-5.jpg

Kelly

Guess I never thought of it as a maroon stripe, mine has a 11hp briggs, if you put wheel weights and chains on, it might do OK, I paid $40 for that one, heck the seat is perfect, even came with the rubber horse head key, stupid thing is loaded, it has 600 some hours on it, yes it has a hour meter, And Yes FREE is FREE

Rideawaysenior

I'm with Mike on that one. I suppose that's why in the brochure, the pic only shows it up againet some light slush.

73-18 automatic

Wow that one that Kelly owns look reaaaalllll close to the one I am getting thanks for all the info everyone and yes :hide: I will get pics as soon as I get it

73-18 automatic

you know what it might be an 11 hp after looking at pics seams to look very familiar

Duff

Although I don't remember the exact model (I think it might have been a 108R), I had one of those rear engined riders back in the early '90's. Came with a house I was lease/purchasing. Rugged little beast it was, and I even used the mower deck as a grader blade fairly effectively when I did some landscaping :hide: . Anyway, the deal fell through and the little Horse stayed with the house, so I don't know where it finally ended up. :D

Just an anecdote...... :omg:

Duff :hide:

Teddy da Bear

Yes I saw the one Kelly has. And I believe that pic was taken at

his meet & greet (great day).

I have the A-51 rear engine rider. Upgraded it to a 8hp engine.

Engine stopped working well after 1 year. Have not been able to

figure it out since.

But, I really liked the way that little tractor cut grass. Nice and smooth

and did not miss nary a blade of grass.

jerrell

:D i agree , yes take it, i have a toro ground master 120 proline , just got it, but it kicks butt on mowing, has a 52" deck, with a 20hp kohler. it cuts really smooth and i have mowed some 2/3 ft tall wet grass/weeds and that thing didn't even bog down, i really like it. just wish i had your bagger :hide:

kpinnc

Hard to imagine it could actually move snow

Looks like a fairly large weight attached to the front of that one with the snow blade...

Kevin

Kelly

Kevin, that weight is a counter balance for the bagger or when the bag is full it would do a wheelie, that is also the same weight that they use for other WH tractors with a diff. bracket, Wild Bill has that set up on his lawnranger, not all of these had the 11hp motors some were 8hp and I'm sure other hp's

kpinnc

Kevin, that weight is a counter balance for the bagger or when the bag is full it would do a wheelie

:omg::party::D:hide::D:hide::omg:

I didn't think about that. Makes more sense actually.

Thanks Kelly,

Kevin

73-18 automatic

Ok I got it today here are the pics hope you all like it has a 12hp Briggs thought it was only an 8hp :hide:

IM001154.jpg

IM001155.jpg

IM001156.jpg

IM001157.jpg

thanks for looking Doug

Sparky

Looks good. Whats the diameter of those front hub-caps?

Mike...........

TT

Whats the diameter of those front hub-caps?

They're 4", Mike - but Dustin and I looked at them at the show and came to the conclusion that they wouldn't fit on the two-piece Lawn Ranger rims. (just an idea I had. :hide: )

Kelly

That's not bad looking has the rear mount for the bagger, also looks like it has the orig. key :hide: I think not sure that is suppose to have a 11hp not the 12hp hench the 111-6 mines only a 5 speed yours is 6 still the price was right.

Duff

Man, that little machine brings back some memories....... :D

Duff :hide:

73-18 automatic

Thanks for all the replies everyone so do you think that the 12hp is a replacemnet engine since the model number is 111 thnka again Doug

TT

What are the numbers on the blower housing on the engine?

(model / type / code)

As far as the mower is concerned, it was made two years.

33-11B601 is a 1987, and 33-11B602 is a 1988. (the model number should be on the sticker on the side of the frame, just ahead of the left rear wheel)

The 1987 should have a 253707 / 0170-01 Briggs and the 1988 should have a 253707 / 0253-01

If the numbers match (which I doubt they will) , it's correct - but that engine looks just like the one that was on an MTD I just sold not long ago.