CLG253

What is this monster?

CLG253

Hi guys and girls. I am new here and new to the world of Wheelhorse. Love the site. Tons of information but I am still having some questions. I guess first I need to figure out what I have. I believe it to be a 60 or 61. It did not have original motor on it and I believe a different tranny. The frame was lengthened not sure if reason was motor or tranny or both. Here are some pics. Any and all help is appreciated.

106_0308_00.jpg

106_0307_00.jpg

106_0315.jpg

106_0317.jpg

• Like 6

Upper Canada

Looks to be from 1961 as far as I know. And looks like a Frankenstein to me as well. I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon. 

Edited by Upper Canada
  • Like 1

Walt

:WRS:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

CLG253
42 minutes ago, Walt said:

Thank you

30 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Thank you

AlwaysLookin80

Welcome, looks like a 61 suburban front frame and hood and a unidrive trans off of another early to mid sixties wheel horse. 

• Like 3

wallfish

1961 model 401 with a later model's 4 speed trans attached as others have wrote..

lengthened to add that trans. Motor is in the correct position but not original. The original trans is completely different and bolts to the side of the frame rails. Looks as though it can be put back to original if you look for the correct trans.

Too bad they hacked the hood with that hokey lever sticking up through it but at least they raised it instead of just hacking the back half off like we often see. Much more easy to repair.

What's your plans for it? Hot rod it or back to original?

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher

CLG253  :WRS:   Well what ever model it is enjoy it. Looks to be a good project for you.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.
  • Like 2

953 nut

:text-welcomeconfetti:   TO  :rs:   If you have a 551 that could well be the original Transaxle, though probably not. That was the first year for the two piece trans. housing, otherwise they were the same as a 401 with a larger engine and electric start. Regardless of what model it started life as it is good to have you here and hope you will share your journey with us.

:text-coolphotos:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

jellyghost
4 hours ago, 857 horse said:

This is what I did,,,with what you have.....and,,,,,mine started with alot less.................I had no idea what a Wheel Horse was.....

after 2 years of guessing together a look,,,,i found this sight,,,,,,   after some bad guessing,,,,a good  suggestions  i wound up with this..

5 inches longer than my square hoods .................My 1961 Suburban

401-8spd..62016 002.JPG

401-8spd..62016 005.JPG

horse,,,,,garden hose 006.JPG

Well, sorry this happened to you.  CLG253, you have been called to do this.  The Universe needs another one of these.  The 2.5 hp motor is so awesome

• Like 5

stevasaurus

That was Andre the Giant's suburban...a classic horse.  :)

It is not often, that I disagree with Walfish, but that trans looks like a regular 3 speed.  It could be a 5007 (1961) or a 5025.  It looks to me like the brake drum is on the mushroom gear in the pictures.  :think:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

SPINJIM

Big benefit of those mods, you don't have to sit so close to the hot engine.   The Suburbans earned their nick names for good reasons.   No roasted chestnuts required with the longer frame.   Also, nice to be able to use a newer 8-speed trans.

Jim

• Like 3

WHX??
9 hours ago, 857 horse said:

This is what I did,,,

We call her Fat Betty....its the wide rear end ya know...

:WRS: CLG

• Like 3

RedRanger
2 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Big benefit of those mods, you don't have to sit so close to the hot engine.   The Suburbans earned their nick names for good reasons.   No roasted chestnuts required with the longer frame.   Also, nice to be able to use a newer 8-speed trans.

Jim

Less chance of flipping over backwards too.  No wheelies!

• Like 3

CLG253

Thank you all for the warm welcome and knowledge. I guess I just need to make some decisions on what I want to do and get started. I am sure I will picking your brains. I do also have a/original trans that the frame bolts directly to but havent got pics yet. Not sure if its good I am guessing not.

Edited by CLG253
  • Like 2

wallfish
8 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

It is not often, that I disagree with Walfish, but that trans looks like a regular 3 speed.  It could be a 5007 (1961) or a 5025

It was a guess about being later based on the shape of the shifter. A 551 trans would have a straight shifter, can't remember on a 701.

I also call anything that isn't an 8 speed a 4 speed :hide:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You are right about the shifter John, it would have been straight.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

2 hours ago, wallfish said:

I also call anything that isn't an 8 speed a 4 speed :hide:

Not true my friend...they also had 6 speeds and 3 speeds and they are different.  You might think it is not a big deal, but the linkage is all different for the brakes...on the outside.  We do have bigger differences on the inside also.

• Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Not true my friend...they also had 6 speeds and 3 speeds and they are different.  You might think it is not a big deal, but the linkage is all different for the brakes...on the outside.  We do have bigger differences on the inside also

That kind of information is EXACTLY why we need you Steve! I certainly don't know the trans stuff but... been around long enough to realize there are different models of transmissions. Wasn't really trying to make a point with that comment by meaning that's what they are, it's just my ignorance about them is why it's easier to refer to them that way. Hence, the hiding under the chair. :hide:

Thanks for straightening me out on that :ychain:

But at the same time,  I'm not so sure the exact transmission or linkage information is going to matter one bit for this tractor were talking about. :hide: Might be better to discuss how he's going to reach that foot pedal which connects to some linkage first, unless he's 6' 5 or taller.:lol:

• Like 3

stevasaurus

It's OK John.   Ha...take that!!!  :ROTF:  crackin' me up Mate.  John, seriously (and you know this) you are always one of my favorites.  Thanks for being a friend over these years, helping me to learn, and letting me take the death ride at the show last June.  :)

• Like 4

T-Mo
13 hours ago, CLG253 said:

Thank you all for the warm welcome and knowledge. I guess I just need to make some decisions on what I want to do and get started. I am sure I will picking your brains. I do also have a/original trans that the frame bolts directly to but havent got pics yet. Not sure if its good I am guessing not.

If you need a footrest, I have on for that year.  I think I have the left one, but not the other side.

401 Footrest on hood.jpg

• Like 1

CLG253
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 8:39 AM, jellyghost said:

Well, sorry this happened to you.  CLG253, you have been called to do this.  The Universe needs another one of these.  The 2.5 hp motor is so awesome

That is super nice. Does  it have good power?

• Like 1

857 horse

Because its 8 gears....it has tons of little ponies torque,,,,,,,,,i can pull my 5x8 trailer from behind the house,,,,to the drive way.....and its a decent slope.....like the guys said.....the nose never comes up.....oh,,and the trailer...,,,it has 14inch tires.....not 12's or 8's....pretty heavy......I need a belt guard,,,i have been called out about this......and I should.....lolololo...

Hey,,,,Welcome to the clan,,,,,,,,,,Good group here......the Potato Salad Rocks.....and the dezzert Menu is tah die for......All Pie's   lolololo

by the way....all the guys talking about your project,,,,I got to meet at our annual BIG SHOW...Steve a souras REX.....and Wall Fish...and at least a dozen other helping hands ..got my project off the ground..i was up and running 1st day by lunch (3day show)......,,,,,,gas,,,,,lug nuts....wrenches,,,a jack......a tee shirt,,,and several bottles of water....(((  I left all my shirts at home ))),,lololol

and         I NEVER ASK FOR A SINGLE THING,,,,THE OFFERS OF HELP WALKED UP AND GAVE OF THEM SELVES,,WLLINGLY,,,,

Dont get me wrong.....this can be a tuff crowd ,,, a mixed bag that works.....Welcome to a new home for you and your Horse.....Your back is covered....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howard857Horse in Va

Edited by 857 horse
  • Like 2

CLG253

What is the big hole in the hood under the steering wheel for?

wallfish

Not sure of it's original design purpose but there was a plug in there which was used to mount the key switch for a 551 or just a shut off switch for a 401.

A large sheet metal plug like they use for electrical boxes. You can see it on Howard's nice tractor posted in this thread,

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1