Gunman64

Trans Lube

Gunman64

Hi all, I bought a 310-8 tractor, my first Wheel Horse. I read on here that 80w-140 was what came in the trans. I bought this bottle of Lucus Gear Lube. I was thinking it should work, anyone else use it?

Ken

20161028_174129.jpg

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Me.

Works fine.

Hello to fellow Michigander!

• Like 1

slammer302

After seeing these transmissions run for years with water and sluge in them and work just fine. I think any clean oil will work just fine. The uni drive trans was one of the best small trans made. In my opinion.

• Like 7

AMC RULES

:WRS:

• Like 1

roadapples

:text-yeahthat:      :WRS:

• Like 1

tunahead72

Hi Ken, and welcome!

I haven't used that particular product, but Lucas products are generally pretty good, that should work just fine.

How does the old oil look?  If it's milky and bubbly, you should plan to drain it all out and refill with the new oil.  Also check the rubber cover over the main gear shift lever, you should also replace that if it's worn out.

Have fun with your tractor, and send us some photos when you get a chance. :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

Look at the bottom of the transmission case. The center case bolt creates a hump across the transmission that traps a fair amount of lube in front of it. Make sure you lift the front of the tractor far enough to get that to drain out. :)

:WRS:

• Like 4

rmaynard

Lucas is great stuff, but considering as said above that many transmissions have been running fine for years with a combination of oil and water, the cheap Walmart stuff is my choice.

• Like 3

Gunman64
On 10/29/2016 at 9:08 AM, tunahead72 said:

Hi Ken, and welcome!

I haven't used that particular product, but Lucas products are generally pretty good, that should work just fine.

How does the old oil look?  If it's milky and bubbly, you should plan to drain it all out and refill with the new oil.  Also check the rubber cover over the main gear shift lever, you should also replace that if it's worn out.

Have fun with your tractor, and send us some photos when you get a chance. :)

Thanks all for the welcome.  I going to pick up the tractor  tomorrow,  I wanted to pick up what i will need to start fixing it up. 

Where can you find the a new rubber cover for  the shifter?

• Like 1

rmaynard

eBay is a good source, or any local or online Toro dealer. Part number is 3577.

Should not have to pay more than about $6.00.

• Like 1

Gunman64
2 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

eBay is a good source, or any local or online Toro dealer. Part number is 3577.

Should not have to pay more than about $6.00.

What years will this part work on?

rjg854

I'd say about all

• Like 1

Gunman64
1 minute ago, Ranger13148 said:

I'd say about all

Thanks for the help!

ohiofarmer

001.jpg002.jpgI figured out a way to really get all the old oil out. First, I elevate the front really high by using a hoist fastened to a eye bolt on the ceiling of the shop. So high that the tractor is hitting the hitch on the ground. Now take an old gasoline can that has a nipple style vent and put a little clear vinyl hose on the vent and suck out the remainder by inserting the hose through the transmission hole and connecting a shop vac to the spout on the gas can. About 4 ounces more of old grunge will come out that is the dirtiest part of the oil and may even contain separated water.

Let the tractor back down and add some kerosene or Diesel  to the transmission and let it set for an hour or so. Elevate the tractor and repeat the draining and vacuum extraction process.

Even more old oil containing solid pieces of grit will empty into the old gas container. I was amazed at how much more junk came out using the vacuum. The clear vinyl hose is really satisfying to use as the ugly fluid is clearly visible.

On edit:  You might want to remove that battery if you crank that front end really high.....

Edited by ohiofarmer
add pics
  • Like 4

Walt

8 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

I figured out a way to really get all the old oil out. First, I elevate the front really high by using a hoist fastened to a eye bolt on the ceiling of the shop. So high that the tractor is hitting the hitch on the ground. Now take an old gasoline can that has a nipple style vent and put a little clear vinyl hose on the vent and suck out the remainder by inserting the hose through the transmission hole and connecting a shop vac to the spout on the gas can. About 4 ounces more of old grunge will come out that is the dirtiest part of the oil and may even contain separated water.

Let the tractor back down and add some kerosene or Diesel  to the transmission and let it set for an hour or so. Elevate the tractor and repeat the draining and vacuum extraction process.

Even more old oil containing solid pieces of grit will empty into the old gas container. I was amazed at how much more junk came out using the vacuum. The clear vinyl hose is really satisfying to use as the ugly fluid is clearly visible.

On edit:  You might want to remove that battery if you crank that front end really high.....

Have a few old gas cans on shelf in garage with the vent but the spouts are trashed finally found good use for them.

• Like 1

Gunman64

That's a great idea, I did not think of that. I did use a similar idea when I had a corn stove. i would hook a big shop vac to one side of a 55 gallon drum and the other to a nozzle and suck the corn out of the trailer to the basement.  Did not think of using for oil. Thanks 

cschannuth
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:34 PM, slammer302 said:

After seeing these transmissions run for years with water and sluge in them and work just fine. I think any clean oil will work just fine. The uni drive trans was one of the best small trans made. In my opinion.

So when the manual for my 606 say 40W , which I probably can't find anyway, I should just use gear lube?

slammer302

Yes 80-90wt is what I use. Its easy to find and fairly cheap.

• Like 1

Racinbob
9 hours ago, cschannuth said:

So when the manual for my 606 say 40W , which I probably can't find anyway, I should just use gear lube?

Yes, 80w90, 85w140 or whatever. Service bulletin #55 (April 1964) recommended 40w to help the gear lock issue with the early type shift rails. The 1966's had the updated rails but the owners manuals didn't get changed back right away. Using 40w is fine but I'd suggest the heavier gear lube. :)

• Like 1