Texas Todd

C-160 Unidrive Questions

stevasaurus

I use an old 1" wide wood chisel.  Find a spot around the case where it looks like you got a shot and use the BFH and give it a few good whacks.  It will pop up a little and then use like a 2" pry bar or two to lift it up enough to get it going.  The chisel is just to break it loose...I use a 2lb ball peen to do the trick.

Sent you a Personnel Message.

Edited by stevasaurus

Texas Todd

Well I have the patience of a squirrel. Got the case separated. About an eighth inch of water still in there.

I got some cleanin to do.... How do we go about checking the third gear movement issue (I think that's why I did this :ph34r:

Gears.jpg

Case.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

WOW...after seeing your shifter, I would have never guessed that your trans would look this good.  I would put my finger in those bearings in that case and see what it feels like.  Don't go crazy here...just see if the bearing seems free and maybe use some penetrating oil to clean the bearing out...no need to pop the bearing out of it's seat.  Do not use brake cleaner or carb cleaner here...or WD40 (which is just a water displacement)...use a good penetrating oil...PB blaster or such.  That ball bearing is the #1533 bearing I was talking about in the PM.  It looks like you just may need to replace seals at this point.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  I would finish taking the trans apart...it does look like you may have some rust.  Your call here, but you came this far...  :)

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Well after a nice long conversation with @stevasaurus we fixed many of the problems of the world and even discussed transmissions. While he encouraged me to dismantle the entire unit, I decided I had come far enough in this wanderlust. Me a wire brush and a turkey baster spent some quality time and I do believe the transmission (on the inside) is shining like a diamond in a goats rear.

guts.jpg

guts2.jpg

case_clean.jpg

Now if the man in the little brown truck will bring me all my gaskets and seals, I can button this up and go to work on the case.

I have to admit, it's kind of neat to be talking to a guy as knowledgeable as @stevasaurus while you are looking at the transmission and he is not and he describes how everything works and what gear was which and even which gear I was in. He described how to shift it to neutral, without the benefit of a stick......Pretty cool, and much appreciated.

Once I get this thing buttoned up, I will close this out. The restoration thread can be found here:

Edited by HD-Horse
sic
  • Like 3

Racinbob

You sure got that looking great :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

You're spot on about Steve. Along with his knowledge his willingness to help is second to none. I've lost track of the Skype hours we've spent discussing transmissions and other things. I'll bet at this time there might even be some world series talk tossed in. :lol:

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Ya know thats something we didnt get around to. But I'd bet all the marbles he is pullin for the Cubbies, as am I.... 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You guys flatter me...thank you.  :)  Todd, it was excellent talking with you yesterday.  I called that machine shop, and I think I have found the right place to take my 8shp Kohler.  I asked the guy what time they opened so I could take the engine down to him this morning.  He says they open at 8 but they really just lolly around for an hour while they have their coffee.  I asked, you guys have coffee their?  He says "yes".  I asked if they had something to put in it...like Kahlu'a, and he says "yes".  I tell him I am liking you guys already.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  So I am going to load up and go see them...the price is good also.

Todd, I hope we talk again when you get into that other transmission.  Have a nice day, and I hope you parts show up.  GO CUBBIES  :)

• Like 2

squonk

When you go to the machine shop, don't forget to bring the ENGINE!!!!!! :):)  :):)  :):)

• Like 3

Texas Todd
7 hours ago, squonk said:

When you go to the machine shop, don't forget to bring the ENGINE!!!!!! :):)  :):)  :):)

Ya have to admit he made a compelling argument for leaving it at home a time or two!!

Steve: when I crack that other one you will be on my speed dial. I know it has problems deep down......

• Like 1

Shynon
9 hours ago, squonk said:

:ROTF:

Texas Todd

I cannot seem to locate a torque spec for the case bolts.  Does anyone know if there is one, other than goodentite?

stevasaurus

I don't think there is a spec for that.  Just snug them up so they are tight and all the same.  :)

Manual just says to tighten all bolts evenly.

Texas Todd

After much research, I decided that 23.2 ft. lbs was just right.....

I have to admit I was at my wits end and couldn't get the case to drop on the last 5/8" or so. After an hour and a half I called Steve and asked what the secret was?  He said "Wiggle it." Like I hadn't been doing that for the past 90 minutes. But low and behold I wiggled once more and it dropped on......Makes one curious about the power of my new favorite horseman.......

Everything spins like it should and the gears shift, so I guess I am back in business.  Now back to the blast, grind and paint routine on the rest of the tractor....

The Woodruff Key size is #15 1/4" x 1" Napa had it.

Woodruff 15.jpg

Edited by HD-Horse
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

You gotta love a success story.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  I like that you put the torque in here that you found to work.  Thanks Todd.