Team70R

Great spark, no spark, great spark, no spark...

Team70R

Just picked up a free Honda g300 to shoehorn into my 606!! The only problem is it can't keep spark! When you ground the plug on the block it'll spark beautifully then all of sudden nothing. Pull the recoil start a few more times and boom, back to a great spark. Spark plug is missing the little screw on cap on the top but fits tight in the boot. Tried a different with the little cap but it won't snap in?! Would this be the cause of my problem?

Achto
8 minutes ago, Team70R said:

Would this be the cause of my problem?

The cap would not be the problem. The cap often has to be removed for Honda engines.

Edited by achto

Team70R

Well that helps then. So could it be the coil? Or possibly just a grounding issue? I already unplug the kill switch hoping that was the issue.

redone

K301 runs hot and just a lot of power. Yesterday, I could not get spark. Found the points were burnt up. While trying to start this engine, the starter generator burnt up.

I am thinking the hot running engine, is related to to hot spark and and maybe a coil issue.

this kohler just has so much power, more then a normal engine.

any ideas on this engine?

Thanks to all

953 nut
8 hours ago, redone said:

I could not get spark.

You will  be better off starting a new thread, this one is on a Honda engine. :text-offtopic:

• Like 1

Achto
12 hours ago, Team70R said:

Well that helps then. So could it be the coil? Or possibly just a grounding issue? I already unplug the kill switch hoping that was the issue

Just throwing darts here but, is there enough oil in the engine? A lot of Honda engines have an oil safety switch on them. The oil may be full enough when first starting the engine but after it gets pumped through the engine the level might drop enough to trip the switch. The coil on the Honda engine gets grounded out to stop the engine, so a bad ground would cause it not to shut off.

You could also check the fly wheel to coil gap if it is too great it can cause erratic spark. Rust on the fly wheel or metal shavings on the magnet can cause issues some times also.

Edited by achto
  • Like 1

Dan Hankins
8 minutes ago, achto said:

Just throwing darts here but, is there enough oil in the engine? A lot of Honda engines have an oil safety switch on them. The oil may be full enough when first starting the engine but after it gets pumped through the engine the level might drop enough to trip the switch. The coil on the Honda engine gets grounded out to stop the engine, so a bad ground would cause it not to shut off.

You could also check the fly wheel to coil gap if it is too great it can cause erratic spark. Rust on the fly wheel or metal shavings on the magnet can cause issues some times also.

That's what I was thinking beat me to it

Team70R
17 minutes ago, achto said:

I changed the oil but honestly never checked the level after cranking it a few times. Guess I'll double check that. And I'll pull the fly wheel tonight and check everything out. First time messing with a Honda, so is everything behind the flywheel similar to an oldTecumseh?

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, Team70R said:

And I'll pull the fly wheel tonight and check everything out.

I don't think you will have to pull the fly wheel. If I remember correctly the coil pack is on the out side of the fly wheel.

• Like 1

Team70R

Hmm you may be right! I can just trace the spark plug wire can't i?

• Like 1

Achto
2 hours ago, Team70R said:

Hmm you may be right! I can just trace the spark plug wire can't i

Once you remove the fan shroud you will be able to see the coil pack. The only thing under the fly wheel would be the charging stator, if so equipped. (electric start model only)

• Like 1

squonk

Good point about the electric start. I had a Honda 4 wheeler. Once it got cold out. it would not fire using the electric start. If you used the kick starter it would start right up. Apparently the starter was drawing so much current, the CDI box didn't have enough to work properly. Does this Jenny have elec start and electronic ign?

• Like 1

Team70R
25 minutes ago, squonk said:

Good point about the electric start. I had a Honda 4 wheeler. Once it got cold out. it would not fire using the electric start. If you used the kick starter it would start right up. Apparently the starter was drawing so much current, the CDI box didn't have enough to work properly. Does this Jenny have elec start and electronic ign?

It's just pull start, no lucky enough to find one with electric... And I'm almost certain it's got points. Heading out to tear into now 

Achto

I don't believe that Honda ever used points in their small engines. By the time they got in the game I think points were a thing of the past.

Team70R

Well ive got spark now. Flywheel was full of dirt.. But still can't get fire. Pulled head and the valves move as should and spark is strong. Exhaust is clear.. Now what???

Achto

Got fuel? If the plug is staying dry, then next put a dribble of gas in the plug hole & try starting. If that works then you need to clean the fuel system.

• Like 1

Team70R

Tried starter fluid and not even a sputter! It's got me stumped. Should I try it again with gas?

Achto

Hmm, should've popped with starting fluid. Try putting gas in the plug hole & see if it will pop. If you have fuel & spark the only things left would be compression and timing. I'm going to guess that it feels like it has compression when you pull it over. The only way the ignition can get out of time is if you shear the key on the fly wheel. 

• Like 1

Team70R

It seems to have decent compression. Heading out of town tomorrow, but I should be able to borrow a compression tester Sunday and see what happens. I'll try gas in the spark plug hole first I reckon. 

Achto

Keep me posted. I'm curious about the solution.

Team70R
On October 21, 2016 at 10:16 PM, achto said:

Keep me posted. I'm curious about the solution.

Well I think I found the issue. Compression is leaking around the spark plug hole!!! :wacko:

953 nut
2 hours ago, Team70R said:

Compression is leaking around the spark plug hole!

Does that mean the plug wasn't tightened or the threads are shot?

Team70R

Plug was tight and threads are decent! Looks like it's leaking out from between the threads and the head. Almost looks like it has a helicoil in it!! 

Team70R

Well I fixed it!!! Turns out it had an old spark plug washer jammed in around the threads!!!!