drp198

Work Horse GT-1600 Starting problems

drp198

so lately my wheel horse has been unpredictable because it will start up perfectly one time and the next time it will sound weak starting up or not start at all. The battery is charged to 12 volts so it should start. i was thinking it was the ignition switch,the solenoid, or the wiring to the switch. if its none of those things it could be the starter because sometimes it sounds like the starter isn't engaging . what should i do o what could the problem be?

pfrederi

There is a difference between "sound weak" or "not at all"  or the starter not engaging.

When you turn the key what happens...nothing...engine turns over but slowly...starter motor spins rally fast but engine doesn't turn????

drp198

all three things happen 

953 nut

The first step is to clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds.

pfrederi

What is battery voltage while you are trying to start it?  How old is the battery??

drp198

The battery voltage is usually around 9-11 volts while starting 

pfrederi

When you have cleaned all the connections what happens if you jump the two main terminals on the solenoid?  Does it crank well?..

If it were the ignition switch failing I would suspect it wouldn't do anything or work OK not something in between  The in between,  sort of tries, just spins the starter motor, or nothing sounds more like a failing solenoid.