Oberg111

1971 charger 12 automatic sandstorm transaxle problems

953 nut
3 hours ago, Oberg111 said:

I use the multi vehicle and it quit working after about three or four hours of pushing heavy snow then I let it cool completely down and it started working again

Even though it is cold outside you want to keep the engine RPMs high to cool the pump on the transaxle. Be sure the pump is clean, a layer of dirt and grass clippings will hold in the heat.

daveoman1966

What you've described....works ok for a couple hours, then has to cool down again.... is indicative of internal wear of precision machined parts.  Specifically, the PISTON SLIPPERS, thrust washer, and gerotor set that I referred to earlier in this post.  When these parts are scored, the warmed up (hot) oil will bypass thru the scoring marks resulting in loss of pressure which causes lessened or poor power performance.  You can change oil and filter till the cows come home, but the only solution is to rebuild the Hyd PUMP / Hydrogear unit.  Download the aforementioned Sundstrand manual to do this.  It is not difficult to rebuild / refurbish these units, just take your time and be meticulous in keeping finished parts clean before reassembly.           

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1