Duramax7man7

When do you paint your Wheels?

doc724
On 10/18/2016 at 11:00 PM, Mastiffman said:

So I managed to get the rims off, cleaned and degreased. I wrestled one tire off spending most of the time on the beads. What a pain without any type of tire machine or bead breaker. I might have to pick one up. I will say though, the beads were tougher on this bigger rim but removing the tire was tougher on a 6" rim... Cant wait to slam a 6ply tire on this thing. :o/

Somewhere on a thread here I saw where one enterprising member made his own bead breaker out of a 2x12.  He scalloped one edge so that it matched the rim diameter, placed the 2x12 on the tire/rim and then drove his Volvo up the plank.  The weight of the Volvo broke the bead (so he said).  Of course, he still had to get the tire off :-)

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Very Cool idea. Although I found that using dawn dish soap water on the rim and tire at the bead and let it sit overnight made the bead break exceptionally easy... I didn't even break a sweat. ;)

• Like 1

Fun Engineer
4 hours ago, Mastiffman said:

Any recommendations on safely mounting a set of wheel weights on these freshly painted rims?

Here is a set I'm thinking about getting. they are 95lbs each? To Much weight? If not how would I mount them without destroying my rims new paint? Which is a few weeks old now. 

If to much weight, how much is recommended? 50lbs each side?

craigslist wheel weights.jpg

I was going to spray Plasticoat on the back of the weight that will rest against the wheel. 

3 hours ago, doc724 said:

Somewhere on a thread here I saw where one enterprising member made his own bead breaker out of a 2x12.  He scalloped one edge so that it matched the rim diameter, placed the 2x12 on the tire/rim and then drove his Volvo up the plank.  The weight of the Volvo broke the bead (so he said).  Of course, he still had to get the tire off :-)

This works well but if your tire is old and weathered it won't hold up to the "squeeze" from the 2x and will be ruined. Generally not a problem since most of us are replacing them anyway. The 12" are easier than the 8" and 6" are almost impossible. The soap soak sounds like a good idea. Will have to try it next time. 

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 1

Duramax7man7

Well I have brand spankin new 6ply lugs on mine.... so no worries there.

What do you think about the weights and the newly painted rims? Maybe some of that rubber spray on sealer? Let it fully cure and that might save it?

Duramax7man7

Okay, so I preped and painted the front rims finally. I'm in the process of rebuilt doing the front end a bit and figured that it'd be a good time. I used the demount, prep, mount new tires and painted them before setting the bead and inflating them method...

Seems to be a good way to go. I used a couple of pizza box halves, pressed the prepped rim into them and cut about 7/16" smaller diameter and it fits under the lip of the rim perfectly. I'm able to slide both halves in and out without issues. Both sides of both rims are painted. 

Any suggestions on getting a smooth clear coat finish? My rear rims seemed to be a bit rough of a coating? Also experienced some mild dripping with very light coats... Smh. 

IMG_20161117_55497.jpg

IMG_20161117_40749.jpg

IMG_20161117_46492.jpg

IMG_20161117_0979.jpg

• Like 4

Duramax7man7

Well here is the finished product and I must say... I really like the Rustoleoum canvas white paint... I also like the method of remove old, prep, mount new, cover and paint, let cure, install valve, seat the bead and fill method! Way better Idea than paint without those tire on then mounting. 

Check it out... I know, I know, the seat is a downer. Ha ha. It coming though. I would like to install a suitcase weight rack in the back and this will be used for snow removal. If we get enough. ;o)

Your opinion....? Is the red of the side panel an accurate color for original Toro wheel horse red or is it too red? These were panels that I had sent to me and they were painted first. 

IMG_20161118_45964.jpg

IMG_20161118_57787.jpg

• Like 1

Sarge

When I mount the cast iron wheel weights I use small pieces of 1/4" thick rubber belting as sort of a stand-off to prevent the two parts from rubbing off the paint and promoting rust . Also helps to allow dirt to be rinsed out when washing it .

I use the same method as above mentioned , painting the inside first and touching up with a brush what is necessary - then paint the outside once the tire is mounted .

Sarge

• Like 2

WheelHorseNut
On 11/15/2016 at 3:14 PM, Mastiffman said:

Any recommendations on safely mounting a set of wheel weights on these freshly painted rims?

Here is a set I'm thinking about getting. they are 95lbs each? To Much weight? If not how would I mount them without destroying my rims new paint? Which is a few weeks old now. 

If to much weight, how much is recommended? 50lbs each side?

craigslist wheel weights.jpg

What if you used a rubberized undercoating on them or like FlexSeal?  I was gonna give the FlexSeal a try to protect the paint.  Anyone done that yet?

Duramax7man7
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:09 AM, Sarge said:

When I mount the cast iron wheel weights I use small pieces of 1/4" thick rubber belting as sort of a stand-off to prevent the two parts from rubbing off the paint and promoting rust . Also helps to allow dirt to be rinsed out when washing it .

I use the same method as above mentioned , painting the inside first and touching up with a brush what is necessary - then paint the outside once the tire is mounted .

Sarge

That's a good idea! Thanks for the tip. I may have found some 50lbs-ers with chains...

doc724
On 11/18/2016 at 2:52 PM, Mastiffman said:

Your opinion....? Is the red of the side panel an accurate color for original Toro wheel horse red or is it too red? These were panels that I had sent to me and they were painted first. 

On my older tractors (1978 and 1981) I use Regal Red Rustoleum.  However, I have found that on the newer ones (1996 and 1998) that Regal Red does not match well to original paint.  Rustoleum Sunrise Red is a better match for the newer machines.  Sunrise is not as deep a red

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Gotcha. My 520 is a 1990 and my 312-8 is a 1995. Probably the same color?

Sarge

These weights have rubber spacers behind them..

tmp_22621-20161111_183526-256895437.jpg

Sarge

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Did you have to pull the wheel to install the weights? I could probably use some adhesive on the side that will attach to the weight to keep them in place.

Weights on the front as well? What's max weight for the front recommended?

Sarge

Weight in the front tires really doesn't hurt anything other than some additional stress/wear on the wheel bearings . I always buy the hd machined versions , never the cheap hardware store stamped type bearings since they are not intended for this severe duty of our tractors and the weight involved against those bearings . Adding suitcase weights or something mounted to the tractor directly affects the load against the wheel bearings - weight on the wheel/tire itself just adds traction with far less side effects of wearing out parts faster .

Installing the weights onto the tractor is pretty easy , I just stab them into the opening and insert at least one carriage bolt , then add the nut/washers to hold it in place . The cast iron WH original weights fit the openings pretty tight , even with rubber spacers on the back of them they center up themselves easily .

Taking the rear wheels off that old 1277 is no fun unless I unbolt the cast iron weights first - with the tires liquid filled and the iron the tire/wheel/weight combo weighs 145lbs each...plus the chains on top of that . First time I lifted one off the bench after testing out the liquid/iron combination that one nearly gave me another hernia....#2 was bad enough already .

Sarge

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

All great info. Hopefully will get news on my weights and chains by this evening. 

I'm getting ready to paint the metal axle dust caps for the front rims. What would be the best look? 

I like the contrast of the Black or Red. The canvas white wouldn't really seem to look just right.  What do y'all think?

IMG_20161121_40400.jpg

Edited by Mastiffman

Sarge

You could just paint them a stainless steel color or pigment paint and use a WH logo decal on them for something different , or just go with red . I wouldn't completely take off the zinc coating  ,btw..

Sarge

Duramax7man7

I was probably just going to go with black. Hit them with some rubbing alcohol to remove the oil/ grease completely and then give them a coat of etching primer and then semi gloss black rustoleum...?

Sarge

That should work fine , might want to scuff it a bit with a Scotchbrite pad to help aid adhesion .

Sarge

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

I can but isn't that what the Etching Primer is for? Or should I still scuff it?

Sarge

A light scuffing will remove the oxidation skin that is developed from the zinc galvanizing/plating process . That skin is quite tough to form a bond against with paint - a Scotchbrite pad will etch it a bit so the paint can adhere . The etching acids in those primers are made for aircraft use with aluminum alloys that develop their own skin of oxidation to prevent corrosion - the skin on galvanized zinc coatings is a different makeup and sometimes those acids won't etch into it properly . The nice thing about the zinc in galvanizing on steels is how it can creep and repair itself if it gets nicked or chipped . Those bearing caps are notorious for rusting out over time , mostly because they are cheap stamped steel made in foreign countries with no process controls and the cheapest galvanizing process they can use .

Sarge

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

As always sir, great info.

Okay, so I use the Scotchbrite it will scuffing a bit for adhesion but allow the zinc coating to stay on and if nicked or scratched can creep and allow for further protection...? 

Sarge

Yes , just use it to lightly scratch into the surface - gray is grade of Scotchbrite pad to use - commonly sold at auto parts stores . Just take any gloss off of it lightly , then apply your etching primer and follow it's instructions . Make sure to use a proper cleaning agent before painting such as Prep in a can or acetone and a tack rag .

Prep work is 90% of paint quality .

Sarge

Duramax7man7

Done. They turned out pretty nice and I must say the semi-gloss black looks great on them. Nice contrast. I'll post a pick soon.

QUESTION:

I got chains and put them on my 312-8 23 x 10.5 x 12" tires and they seem a tiny bit loose. Is this normal? Will it hurt the chains? Can I tighten them with the spring assemblies I see on other chain setups?

Thanks!

WVHillbilly520H

Some just air down the tire and adjust chain tighter then air back up for a snug fit but I use the standard tire chain bungees and add a few more "S" hooks,Jeff.

IMAG1760.jpg

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Very well then. Thank you!

Man you got some pretty extensive cracks there. I assume you have inner tubes?

You have chains on cleated... Shouldn't cleated tires do the job well enough?

Thanks.