Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bullington

Need Gas tank help

Michael Bullington

hey everyone,

I have a gas tank that is leaking gas, does anyone know if you can still get the gaskets for these tanks,, If not is there any other way to repair these tanks that you have found successful.

thanks for all replies in advance

Jim_M

I've seen the gaskets on eBay a few times. I've found the best way to seal them up is to use a good "sloshing" tank sealer in the inside. I like the stuff from Bill Hirsch.

sorekiwi

The gaskets are still available from your Toro dealer, about $12 I think.

Here's the thread where I asked the question... http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...ic=5072&hl=tank

I did the one on my Ranger and it turned out OK. Be real careful with the screws on the bottom - mine already had a couple of broken ones. My tank hadnt had fuel in it for years, so I heated it with a propane torch before removing the remaining screws. Its a ***** to get the broken off screws out, real easy for a drill bit to wander off the broken bolt and get into the aluminum. I put in helicoils in some places, and Timeserts in holes that were too oversize for the helicoils.

The bolts themselves are kinda oddball, with a really small hex. I thought about making some, but in the end just used cap screws where they wouldnt show.

It didnt leak when I was done, but for added insurance I used the Hirsch sealer.

The wheel horse police wont approve of this but when bolting the tank back onto the hoodstand, it was a PITA as the head of the 1/4" bolt is really close to the bolts that hold the bottom of the tank on. The 1/4 nuts on the other side are trapped from turning by ribs on the tank itself. I replaced these nuts with 1/4" coupling nuts (which have a 3/8 hex) so I could just hold the bolt on the outside and turn the nut on the inside. Hey presto, no scratched paint!

jusjeepn

Micheal I have one on a shelf in my garage, but my office in the garage looks like BP's garage. I'll look for it tomorrow if'n you want. I like cash but trades are even better! What kinda small parts you got?

Pat