Deadguy

Which Suburban is this one?

Deadguy

I have an opportunity on a Suburban series that needs a new lease on life.  Any idea which model this one is?

IMG_0558.JPG

• Like 4

T-Mo

Looks to be a 551 from my limited knowledge as it has the '61 foot rests, a battery hold down bracket and the throttle and choke cables are beside the steering column with the switch on the circular piece below the steering column.  Of course it has the wrong engine, but that isn't surprising after 55 years.

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

If I had to guess that would be my take as well. Looks like a 551.

Deadguy

Thanks!  I read that the 550 and 551 have different transmissions, with the two piece Unidrive in the 551.  Is this the better of the two?

wallfish

The 2 piece is a bit beefy'r than the 3 pc.

It's a 551 but has a 1960 clutch pedal. Funny the foot rest is mounted upside down on the wrong side.

Ask if they have the dozer blade, I see the lift link for one is still connected

Deadguy

If this turns out to be a mashup of a 550 and a 551, and has the 550 transmission, do I still want it?

Achto

@Deadguy I was looking at that one my self. I will stand aside for now, but if you decide to pass it up let me know and I will swoop in on it.:ph34r:

• Like 2

WHX??

I would consider it if the price was right..... who cares 550 or '51..... makings of a dandy rat rod there! How is it I don't get those CL alerts on these finds and you guys keep beating me to the score?!?!?:ychain:

Edited by WHX8
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

I wouldn't drag your feet.

If the price is right... :think:

it shouldn't last long. 

• Like 3

KC9KAS
2 hours ago, Deadguy said:

If this turns out to be a mashup of a 550 and a 551, and has the 550 transmission, do I still want it?

How bad do you want it, and is the price right?

• Like 1

wallfish
4 hours ago, Deadguy said:

That's a 2 pc trans on there. The frame would have to get cut to add a 3 pc. to it.

When it comes to nut roasters the trans type shouldn't really matter, you're not going to hang a back hoe off it either way. The 3 pc transmissions work perfectly fine for the tractors they're on.

It appears to be all 551 except the pedal so if you get it and are going to do a full restore to it, I'll trade pedals so you have the correct one for it. But not interested if you're just going to throw on a preditor engine and go. Might as well just leave it.

Edited by wallfish

Deadguy

Well, this is just great.  The seller and my schedules do not intersect until the weekend, so I have to hope that no one snatches it up before Saturday!  Oh well, I can always hope.,.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:handgestures-fingerscrossed:   :pray: 

:popcorn:

Achto

@Deadguy Hope your the one that picked up the Suburban, I see that it's not listed today.

Just noticed that you moved from Oshburg to Euhardy- ville, good luck in your new location. Nice area up there.

WHX??

Yeah did you score?? Inquiring minds want to know... :ychain: Do have  plow or plow tractor ...if so my bad for no invite to my plow day! :|

Deadguy

Oh no!  The seller and I couldn't find a time that worked until Saturday morning, so someone must have snatched it up while I was at work yesterday. Nuts!

2 hours ago, WHX8 said:

Yeah did you score?? Inquiring minds want to know... :ychain: Do have  plow or plow tractor ...if so my bad for no invite to my plow day! :|

As a matter of fact, I do have a plow, and a tandem disk harrow too...

WHX??

Oh well win some lose some as they say... there will be others! You would fit right in with that harrow then, will keep you in mind for next year!

Deadguy

So it appears this story is not over yet.,.

I called the seller to confirm that he had taken the posting down....

Deadguy

It turns out the posting was taken down because the seller's wife was thinking about keeping the tractor....

But the guy still wanted to sell it anyway!

So I showed up with cash, and this followed me home!

IMG_0563.JPG

• Like 5

Achto

:greetings-clappingorange: Congrats!! Glad you were able to get it.

Deadguy

Here is what we have so far.  There are no ID plates on this machine that I have been able to find so far.  It definitely has a UniDrive transmission.  There is some sort of bumper/weight bracket bolted to the front.  The front wheels are 5" diameter and held on with circlips.  It also has a slot hitch.  It is missing the fuel tank cap and belt guard, and of course the original engine.  And, one hub is cracked, as are the rear tires. The seat pan is rusted thin and cracked around the mounting bolt.  But, the transmission does shift, and the frame and hood are solid.  Anything else  of notice here?

IMG_0571.JPG

I would post more photos, but the forum has now limited maximum upload size to .11mb, making photo submission impossible. :text-imsorry:

WHX??

Nice....always helps to follow up on a potential score. Glad to see you got it!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Achto
6 hours ago, Deadguy said:

Here is what we have so far.  There are no ID plates on this machine that I have been able to find so far.  It definitely has a UniDrive transmission.  There is some sort of bumper/weight bracket bolted to the front.  The front wheels are 5" diameter and held on with circlips.  It also has a slot hitch.  It is missing the fuel tank cap and belt guard, and of course the original engine.  And, one hub is cracked, as are the rear tires. The seat pan is rusted thin and cracked around the mounting bolt.  But, the transmission does shift, and the frame and hood are solid.  Anything else  of notice here?

The only id plate on these was a sticker on the frame with the serial number, probably long gone. The front wheels should be 8" rims held on with cir clips. Fuel caps can be found at most good hardware stores. There are guys on here that make new belt guards and exhaust guards. Finding the correct era Tecumseh might take a bit, should be electric start. Looks like some one did some reinforcing on the frame by the trans mount. You have the correct foot rests, only used in 1961, that's a plus.

You have a good start & your not in too bad cash wise, take your time gathering parts and you should have a nice little tractor.

Deadguy

Time for an update!  I have gotten to put the tractor to work doing a little hauling after fitting an air cleaner to the engine and mounting a new fuel tank where it is supposed to be.  Today I finished mounting a rear tire after sandblasting and painting the wheel.  It is coming along bit by bit!

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

• Like 7