mikeeyre74

No voltage at stator

mikeeyre74

Sort of. 

I just put a new engine in my C120.  After firing it up, I noticed that it was not charging.  The regulator appears good, but that isn't the thing… I'm getting no voltage at the stator wires coming from the engine.  I guess they are supposed to be 28 V across the leads, but it's showing me nothing. I pulled the flywheel off  and ran the continuity test on the stator. It appears to be OK.  I also swapped on a spare flywheel that I had from another engine to see if it was that, but that also shows no voltage once I got it all back together and running. Which is frustrating.  Both flywheels have magnetism on all of their magnets.  When I have a digital voltmeter across the two stator wires, and spin the flywheel by hand, I can see that is generating a tiny amount of electricity, so it appears that things are OK… But it is just not working once the tractor is running. Any ideas? 

Edited by mikeeyre74

slammer302

I believe you need to check for AC voltage from the stat-or wires if you are getting a good AC voltage and its still not charging then ur regulator is not working.  I just went through this twice. 

mikeeyre74

I mentioned that above, yes. I'm getting nothing from the stator wires. And then I just finished swapping the guts from another engine into this one and it's still got nada for voltage on the other stator. Both stators have continuity across the end leads and no shorts. I'm totally at a loss here...

oldredrider

Check your volt meter to see if it's working.  Plug in to a 120v outlet and see what it reads.

• Like 1

rmaynard

When checking the stator voltage, you are placing your meter in the AC mode, right?

• Like 2

mikeeyre74

OMG. 

I'm so dumb. 

• Like 1

squonk

You Nite Owls beat me to it! :)electrician-smiley-emoticon.gif

slim67

The alternator will produce 28 volts + of A/C which is converted to D/C by the rectifier, in order to power lights,charge battery, electric clutch.. Put your meter to D/C volts and see what the measurement is across the terminals. If its charging it should be around 14 volts.Chances are your rectifier/regulator would be bad before the stator.

• Like 1

Walt

See this is why I love the forum I was not aware of the initial charge was A/C. Morning coffee and knowledge can't beat that. ;)    

DennisThornton

Sorry?  Mike!  I thought you knew!  Of course you still have to figure out why it's not charging...B)