Sign in to follow this  
perry

odd ball steering wheel

perry

kelly brought this up while he was visiting last monday. he noticed my 1277 steering wheel is bolted on and has a woodruff keyed shaft.

we both thought it was kinda strange since most the wheel horse steering wheels are held on by a roll pin.

how many you guys have a bolt on steering wheel ?. {besides the larger D & gt tractors}

1277009.jpg

Rollerman

Perry I have seen some of the early long frames like your use the same steering wheel as the large frame 953/1054's

I had a 1057 I picked up for a neighbor & it had the larger diameter bolt on steering wheel.

Seems to be a 67 long frame thing. :hide:

Duff

I sure as h*ll WISH I had a bolt on steering wheel. :omg: I'm trying to get the wheel off the steering shaft on my #2 tractor right now and am having no luck at all with the danged roll pin. :D

Sorry - just had to vent! :D

Now off to search for the previous thread about how to get these things apart... :hide:

Duff :hide:

EDIT: Found the old posts; now to find some flat punches - tomorrow! :omg:

perry

thats what TT said, he has a 67 also with a bolt on wheel :hide:

did your 1057 have the large wheel like mine on it ?.

Kelly

I looked at the 953 I have here and it's the same wheel but has splines not a key way, it mounts just like a CC, must be because it has a real gearbox Ross I think like the cubs

Teddy da Bear

Hey Perry! I am so jealous....a wheel horse guy visited you! I can't get the dog to play with me unless I tie a porkchop around my neck! snifff....bring tears to my eyes....

I really like that screen guard on your tranny's fan. I was wondering why wheel horse did not put those on other models. Or did they? Maybe my tractors had them at one time.......but never got to me with that part still in place.

TT

Only the 1965/66/67 hydro tractors had the "narrow" belt guard and the screen over the fan. The belt guard was widened and extended to enclose the fan on the 1968 & newer models. After the rear fender was mounted solid in 1976, safety wasn't as much of an issue, and the fan guarding eventually stopped.

And Perry..... Hobie's 1057 also has a "bolt-on" steering wheel. :hide:

perry

when i bought the 1277 it still had the screen on it :hide: .

i bought a new one off ebay for $25 last year from wayland, MI.

TT

i bought a new one off ebay for $25 last year from wayland, MI.

I remember that one WELL, Perry. :D :hide:

Teddy da Bear

My 1054A does not have a screen guard and the Gt-14's don't either.

I was not concerned about safety. I was hoping to keep debris out of

the hydro area.

Brrly1

Hey Teddy I haven't ever seen a screen on the GT14 or a 1054. I don't believe that they were used on those models. Burly

TT

My 1054A does not have a screen guard

That's because it's not a hydro.

The fenders don't allow access to the fan area on the GT-14's, so there was no need to guard them. It shouldn't be hard to install a debris screen on them though.

Kelly

Ok we know that Perry's wheel was used on the 67 long frame tractors, machined with the key way, and splined for the 953, didn't the 1054 and 1054A use the same wheel? but they didn't have the ross gear box, so how are they retained?? with a roll pin like most Wheel horse's??? or keyed like perry's??

Sarge

When I got my 1277 I thought the steering wheel was a bit odd too , mainly it's diameter and no roll pin - couldn't figure out at first what held it on the shaft . BTW- it did come off pretty easily with some penetrating oil (thanks Gibb's) . Now , it has a crack-free wheel that looks very new for it's age , nice patina anyway .

One odd thing also- noticed today in the book drawing there is supose to be an idler pulley behind the belt cover for the trans belt - mine is either missing or was never there . I've looked it over twice now and can't for the life of me figure out how the heck it would mount - either on the frame or the guard itself . Maybe the drawing is wrong ??

Sarge

linen beige

didn't the 1054 and 1054A use the same wheel? but they didn't have the ross gear box, so how are they retained?? with a roll pin like most Wheel horse's??? or keyed like perry's??

According to the IPLs they're both keyed and bolted. I don't recall a roll pin in my 1954A. I'd check for sure, but she's sitting outside in the cold and dark right now. Under a cover though.

perry

is there a wheel horse that use's the large wheel like mine but with a roll pin ?

Teddy da Bear

Sorry.....wasn't thinking when I mentioned the 1054A

Kelly

I have a wheel like Perry's but it is held on with a roll pin like most wheel horse's ???? any idea what it fit's?? I was thinking 1054-1054A ?????????

Rollerman

I don't know of any of the Horses that used that larger style wheel withe a rollpin.

That same type of wheel was used in differant configurations though on other makes of GT's

Seems I remeber seeing an older Ford/Jacobson in a GT bone yard with the same type of steering wheel as the Wheelhorse on it...but I didn't look to see how it was held on.

I beleive all the later model 953's "after the steering revision" 1054/1054A & 67 long frame models all used the same #4875 steering wheel.

Bolted on, held in place with a woodruff key & a larger diameter.

As Kelly mentioned the early 953's with the Ross steering box have a splined steering shaft & there own unique wheel.

I'm not sure at what point they changed the 953's....mine are the later style with the fan gear.

BPjunk

Perry,

In 1967 Wheel Horse used that steering wheel on the hydros but a pinned on steering wheel for the six speeds. The two spoked looked nice but as usual for the large diameter two spokes steering wheels they offten broke. :hide:

Wild Bill In Richmond, VA.