ohiofarmer

Bragging about shooting skills

ohiofarmer

My out of state friend asked me to mow his camping lot with the Wheel Horse yesterday and today we had a little cook out with hot dogs, coke and NO BEER as we planned to do a little plinking. There is one in every group and a real cool guy showed up who was a retired Navy Sea.l He rocked the Do-rag and motorcycle patches and all that. Me, i just dressed like a farmer and rode my old Honda

. The trouble is, he talked way too much about how good he could shoot and it just hit me as weird, because most really good shots I know just let the group size do the talking.Anyway, my friend just bought a .45 Ruger, and we all wanted to shoot it. It did shoot nice. I put three in a 3" bull and one just outside shooting  offhand.

The Navy Seal shot next and nothing was said about his skills after that :huh: 

• Like 7

AMC RULES

:hilarious:

9 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

The Navy Seal shot next and nothing was said about his skills after that :huh: 

• Like 2

slim67

I love to shoot and think im a decent shot but there is always someone better out there. Again what is a good shot? 

SylvanLakeWH

Sounds like you are a pretty good shot! :bow-blue:

Ego and all his bragging and bravado aside...I'm still thinking the average Navy Seal knows a few more ways to "score a bulls eye" than with a gun - with or without a new .45... :ph34r:

BTW - I like you adding in the "no beers" comment. We go by the same rules when plinking or hunting and I appreciate it when others not only do the same but support it in conversations with others...

• Like 3

SPINJIM

I have found that people who do a lot of bragging, often have the least to really brag about.  They're just trying to compensate.

Remind you of anyone running for public office ???

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM

r356c

With condolences to the Bryant family, the funniest obit I have ever read.

"not wanting to witness the results of the 2016 election

and after determining nothing on television was worth watching anymore, joined his wife Saturday"

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/atlanta/obituary.aspx?n=william-bryant&pid=181402176

Edit: Population of Florida: ~19,890,000.

Number of concealed weapons licensees 1,806,757.

One out of eleven people is carrying...  legally...  :think:.

Double that for unlicensed concealed carries? 

In a pouch in the glove box is legal in FL. Two steps to bring the weapon into action is legal without a licence in a car.

Misattributed to Isoroku Yamamoto; "There would be a rifle  pistol behind every blade of grass."

Edited by r356c
Research
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I wonder if he were ever a Seal at all.

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor
8 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I wonder if he were ever a Seal at all.

That's what I am thinking too. I worked with a guy in the '90s that was a 'JG Seal during Vietnam - and was still duty-bound to not discuss anything.

• Like 1

JC 1965

I know guys that like to talk about how good they are at everything. Maybe they're just trying to convince themselves.    :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
10 hours ago, slim67 said:

I love to shoot and think im a decent shot but there is always someone better out there. Again what is a good shot? 

A really good shot could print groups like that on a consistent basis. One isolated target does not prove much, but it did quiet down the bragging, so i found a way to just plink [not on paper] from then on B).

When I hear guys talking about common rifles doing bench rest accuracy, I just act amazed and tell them I must have gotten ripped off because the heavy barrelled Synthetic stock 700 i have really will not shoot quite that well. Maybe they could come over and show me what I am doing wrong?

For some reason, that offer is not accepted

• Like 1

slim67

Thats one reason to stay humble. I know from lifes experience. I avoid shooting with anyone other than maybe my brother in law beacuse of people like that. I mind my own business at the range and just try and have some fun. I dont know how I rate as a shooter to be honest with you so I just keep practising every chance I get.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Seals are like any other veteran.  They have been there and done that and know what they can do...they don't have to talk about it, and they won't talk about it...unless they trust you and sometimes they just need to talk to someone.  The guy you ran into probably washed out of BUDS training...if he ever got to that point.  :flags-waveusa:

• Like 2

jdleach

Used to be an air base here in Columbus during WWII and Vietnam called Bakalar. Now the municipal airport, there is a small museum located near the strip, and dedicated to preserving the memory of the men and machines that were stationed at the base when in operation. 

After many years of living not 2 miles from the airport, I took my granddaughter to the museum yesterday to check it out. Manned by a volunteer staff of mostly ex-military men, it was an extremely neat, well maintained, and informative museum. I ended up joining, and will try to help out by volunteering.

To get to the meat of this post, while in conversation with the two gents doing duty there, we discussed how there seems to be a rise in the number of frauds claiming military service, and their extraordinary exploits in same. Just pisses me off. This guy claiming to be a Seal sounds like one such individual.

Used to, I didn't talk much about my service. Figured no one was interested, as I served at a time when we service men were considered baby killers. Told some stories to the kids, but that was about it. Now that I am 58, I spend all too much time thinking, and talking, about the places I went, and things I have seen and done. I suppose it is a nostalgia thing. I also meet and talk to a lot of other vets who do the same. It isn't bragging, just recalling what once was. Recalling is telling someone I once helmed a 450 foot destroyer in the North Atlantic. Bragging is saying I could still do it. Not likely, as I would probably barf all over the binnacle from sea sickness.

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH

jdleach - well said and - Thank You - for your service...

• Like 3

mrc

hi men,  my very good friend RB was a USN seal.  we are both members of american legion post 124 in westfield massachusetts.  if someone asks RB if he is a vet the answer is yes.  what branch RB? answer navy.  no mention whatsoever of being a seal.  one day RB and i were out on the harleys.  we stopped at a local watering hole where a band was playing. across the deck was a guy with a seal baseball cap on. RB said, "be back in a few mike".  a minute or two later he was back and said "that guy was not a seal".   i asked how he could be so sure. he explained how every seal MUST  complete BUDS (basic underwater demolition school)  each class has a number.  a seal never forgets his buds class number.  if i recall RB's buds class number is 93  mid to late 1970's.  he said that guy did not know his number. upon further questioning he fessed up he maintained the boats for the seals. what a disgrace. its actually a crime to claim or wear military  ribbons for which you are not entitled.  smith and wesson is located only 10 miles form westfield in springfield mass. a few years back they had a family shoot day at a local range.  when RB got a weapon in his hand i can assure you he really knew how to use it.  additionally, he is a hell of a nice guy but, lets just say that in a fight you want him on your side.  best regards to all of you.  mike in mass.

• Like 5

jdleach

In the military in general, there are things you don't forget. After 41 years, I can still remember my boot camp company number (316), the company commander's name (EN1 Skelton), and a host of other details that a faker could not come up with. The plethora of acronyms and abbreviations, and their meanings, is probably the best way to tell.

Just ask if they can tell you what RPOC, BEQ, comrats, a chit (there were several of these), CPO, ditty bag, NJP, UCMJ, foc'sle, Irish pennant, etc., etc. mean.

slim67

For all of you that were in the military, a sincere thanks for your service. I did not serve but it probably would have been good awakening for a young me.

• Like 2