JimmyAAA

416-H No Lights

JimmyAAA

Hello,

My dogs tore the wires out of the side of my Wheel Horse 416-H. They were looking for a chipmunk.It's staying in the garage after mowing from now on. The wires that were damaged were the the wires going between the electrical block and the voltage regulator, top of engine and over to the headlights and starter. I managed to reconnect all the wires by color code. The only problem is the lights. The tractor starts and runs fine but as soon as I turn on the lights the engine dies and the ammeter goes to zero. If I turn off the light switch and wait about 5 minutes, the tractor will start normally but for Lord's sake don't turn on that light switch or the tractor will die and the ammeter goes to zero. Any ideas what's wrong?

Sincerely,

Jim

Edited by JimmyAAA

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Some electronic gurus will be along shortly...

They will, of course, want pictures...:wwp:

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

What year is your tractor or it's model number and serial number? Will look for the correct wiring diagram.

Is the gauge an ammeter or a voltmeter?

Garry

JimmyAAA

Model Number P216G-I/10976D, Serial number: J923956950. I believe its an ammeter but I am no guru. And thanks for the welcome! I could take pictures if absolutely necessary. They would just be of the wires I spliced.

Jim

KC9KAS

@JimmyAAA :WRS: and we will need photos of your WH!  We love photos!!

gwest_ca

P216G-I/10976D is the engine model number and was produced 1993, 1994 and 1995 using tractor model number 73421.

The tractor serials 39xxxxx, 49xxxxx and 59xxxxx are for 1993, 1994 and 1995.

The tractor data decal should be on the rear fender pan under the left side of the seat.

These wiring diagrams should do it

Ammeters have 30-15-0-15-30 on the dial. Discharging is left of the 0 and charging on the right with amperes displayed.

I think you will have a voltmeter reading 0-6-12-18 or something like that and displays volts. Running you should have at least 14 volts which indicates the charging system is working. If you are seeing 0 volts the voltmeter at that time is disconnected from the battery for some reason.

Garry

JimmyAAA

Model: 73421

Serial:3900265

10,12,14 and 16 on I guess voltmeter? I went to start it and nothing now...idiot lights don't light up but they did earlier.

Edited by JimmyAAA

gwest_ca
3 minutes ago, JimmyAAA said:

Model: 73421

Serial:3900265

Here is an operator manual in case you don't have it

Illustrated parts list

More you may find useful

We also have engine and transmission service manuals if needed plus attachment manuals.

Garry

JimmyAAA

Thank you. I am just trying to figure out the electrical problem.

Jim