Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Truck and car fuel storage tanks

Butch

Anyone here have their own tanks around the house for storing gas or diesel? Diesel is down $3.00 a gallon since summer and I'm sure it's going up again. Friends of ours have a 250 gallon gas tank next to their garage. When gas goes up they use that gas. When it comes down they get their storage tank filled and use gas from the stations. A 250 gallon tank for diesel now would save me $750 over last summers prices which should be enough savings to buy a tank. When I lived in NY there were a couple people there that filled their diesel trucks from their home heating fuel tanks. They just changed their filters more often. I have NG so I can't go the home heating oil route.

jerrell

butch i have a 250 gal tank for farm diesel, it's a lot cheaper than road diesel, when i can i just call the dealer and he will deliver 250 gals, mim. i also have a trailer with 4 = 50 gal drums on it and i fill up 2 with diesel and 2 with gas when the pricde gets right, i also fill up the RV it holds 100 gal, have a small 12 volt pump i use to fill the truck or tractors up, in fact i just filled the RV up again, gas was 1.29 , but they say it's on the rise..and i to save it until the prices jump, i put a little perservative in the gas if i leave it for a month or more. :hide: on the gas barrels you have to watch for condensation, it builds up pretty easy, i keep it covered with a tarp and inside the barn.

the farm diesel is ilegal to use for highway use and if they catch you they will slap a fine you wouldn't believe.. it's the same diesel just dyed red instead of blue/green you get at stations.

Butch

Jerrell that is a lot of storage! That would pobably last me until cars are total electric! :hide:

I know about the off road/farm diesel and the colors. The taxes are less on it. Same with home heating oil and diesel. Less taxes. My wife said to tell the home heating fuel people that we have an oil furnace!! :D

jerrell

:hide: butch i use a lot of diesel, got two tractors, and usually only have to buy one tank a year, but i also have a diesel pickup and that 4.00 diesel made me sorta not drive it much, so when i find it at a cheap price i use the two 55 gal drums for the legal fuel,

now they gonna raise taxes on gas and diesel, i would hate to be a trucker now..

Nick

Dont think Ive heard of the fuel in diesel truck tanks being tested in this area. Rumor one year was they were down by the Louisville KY power show testing truck fuel for the dye. I forget what the fines are up to now.

Kind of on the storage of diesel topic I tried a different cleaner/anti-gel in my brothers diesel this time. It is Howes diesel treat. I know PowerService raises Cetane for better mileage and power but I like the idea that the Howes cant be over used. So far the truck has started fine on the coldest days.

http://www.howeslube.com/products/index.php/category/10

pond195520032003

Nick, they cought a trucker down by me with off road fuel and the fine was $10,000 :D truck had to be towed at owners expense and drained at owners expense cant remember what the total was :hide:

TR_DIGGER

I have set up a couple of 30 gal barrels for use around the house. One is for the tractors and such, and the other is for heaters. I try to fill them during the summer, then use them in the winter. How ever, my son tends to use my gas for one or another of his trucks. :hide:

storage.jpg