TIGman

Very early memory of a Wheel Horse tractor

wedge

That's a Great story ! I honestly cant say why or when I fell for the wheel horse ?

But I never looked back !!!

• Like 3

rmaynard

Great story. There are several other threads on here with similar stories. I always love to hear how it all began for other people. 

• Like 3

ACman

You know , l do have a memory of a  :wh: WHEEL HORSE tractor . When I was in my early teens I went to a friends house . His dad and uncle each had a foot on one of the running boards arguing ( I think a 4 or 5 series ) . It was all about who's tractor could pull who's backwards . His father was pretty proud of that  :wh: WHEEL HORSE . I know reside in the last home he built before he passed away . Wonder what ever happened to that tractor . :thanks:  @TIGman for jarring my head and bringing back some good child hood memories . 

• Like 5

TIGman

A few other things I remember about Mr. Pierce, my Dad's friend. 

He also brought the tractor over on a tilt bed trailer and had, what I think you guys call a Wheel Horse "tub cart" with him.

Like you said ACman, I wonder what became of that little Suburban??

• Like 2

Racinbob

Great story Tig. I too date back to 1960 on Wheel Horses and many times I wish I had some pictures. I'm not the only one who loves seeing those old photos. :)

• Like 2

chip61

When I was a teenager in the '70's my dad would borrow his friend's 1267 to till and sometimes to mow. That was an awesome machine and got me interested in Wheel Horse a long time ago. I wish I knew where that tractor was now.

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

I think it is every one wish to save them all. But in reality it hard to do. They are there one day gone the next. But with this site I think it helps and we have saved many.

• Like 2

Tankman

Great memory. Horsey at work.

'Bout 40 years ago, or longer, got my first Horse. Never looked back.

My 1st "tractor" purchased new for my new home was a Crapsman. A friend stopped by to see my new property. Couldn't stop laughing when he saw my "tractor thingy".

He left and returned with a Horse.  Sold the Craftsman. Stallions forever after!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

WH-Group-All-4.jpg

• Like 7

KC9KAS

Very good story!

• Like 1

TDF5G

Great story!  Thanks for sharing.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Tonyp

Very kool ! .

My 1st experience, I was maybe 12 or so, our neighbor down the road had a large  tract of land behind his home with a long dirt driveway. I have no idea what model  WH it was , this was maybe 1960, I used to sit and watch him plow snow  on that long driveway.That was it for me. I was sold on Wheel Horse from that day on, never forgot.

When we bought our first home in the 70's I bought an A series at the time, should have  bought a C Series but what the heck. That small A series did all I needed it to do for a long time , until I stepped up to a 310-8 in the mid 80's. 

Never even considered those green and yellow machines ! 

Still have the 310 and just acquired a 315-8. Wouldn't mind grabbing a C series either.

I also still have the original  hats I got with each machine !

Edited by Tonyp
  • Like 2

maxiblue

nice tractor and very good story

• Like 1

TDF5G
On 9/11/2016 at 5:35 AM, Tonyp said:

I also still have the original  hats I got with each machine !

:wwp:

That's great story!  Thank you.

• Like 1

Butch

I remember when I was around 10 years old my dad made a comment that if he ever owned a garden tractor it would be a Wheel Horse. This was around

1964 and I had never heard of a Wheel Horse. But I always remembered that comment. So when I wanted to get a tractor I looked for Wheel Horses.

My dad would have been 99 years old this year and no, he never did own a Wheel Horse.

• Like 2