scotty

1991 416H popping the 25 amp fuse

scotty

Does anyone know why my 416 with an onan pops a fuse as soon as i start to turn it over? I dont see any bare wires anywhere. I check the keyswitch wires and they all looked good anywhere i should be checking?

953 nut

One tip I can share with you is to use a test light in place of the 25 amp fuse while you are looking for the short. Look over the items that are getting power from the fuse and examine each one. Be sure the lights and PTO are off. Pull the small wire off the solenoid so it won't cause an electrical draw; turn the key to "run" and see if the test light illuminates, if it does then there is power flowing. While the key is in the "run" position try disconnecting loads one at a time until the light goes out. If the test light did not light up or you have cleared the light then turn the key to "start". with the solenoid unhooked there should be no change. Give this a try and let us know how you make out.

Take a look at this too.

scotty

I found the short. I ended up turning the key on this morning again and i started to see smoke coming from under the shifting plate. I was thinking it was the hour meter but it was a yellow wire going under the shifting plate.

953 nut
4 hours ago, scotty said:

started to see smoke

Yes, that is another way of finding a short.  :ychain:      Glad you resolved the problem.

• Like 1

scotty

Haha that saved alot of hassle