Texas Todd

Irregular Voltage

Texas Todd

On my 312-8, I repowered with a brand new 1976 era K341 my neighbor has had since the 70's. Since I had to use the housing from my magnum engine (It had no housing), I also had to use my stator and cam bearing plate.  The tractor originally had the electronic ignition and the old K341 is coil and points.  I am using the small voltage regulator, pictured(I have tried 2 different ones). The voltage is all over the place. I have a video attached that shows what the multimeter does. It jumps all over the place faster than you can blink an eye, no constant reading.  Is the voltage regulator wrong?  The volt gauge on the tractor has never worked, but it has power to it. New volt gauge coming tomorrow.  Not sure what to do. Same thing when you put the multimeter on the battery, the readout goes bonkers.  The tractor seems to run just fine. It does seem to blow fuses after running a while (heat? backfeeding somehow?) Suggestions? 

20160820_142248.mp4

20160820_142306.jpg

squonk

I have had the same problem on many tractors using a digital mutimeter. Didn't make a difference if I used a cheapie meter or my Fluke. I had to break out my old Simpson analog meter to get an accurate reading. 

electrician-smiley-emoticon.gif

Texas Todd

Well, I wondered.....But my 1056 shows a straight 12.5 12.7 on the same multimeter and the mounted gauge is very steady. When I get the new volt gauge tomorrow, I expect that needle to go haywire.....

squonk

1056 uses a dc generator as opposed to the 341 with the ac producing alternator with a rectifier. That's why you get a steady reading.

Texas Todd

My 1056 was re-powered with an M10 though. Electronic ignition. I had an old analog meter, but can't find it. Will pick up another and let ya know what it says. Thank you!

Texas Todd

Well, the analog meter held steady at 13.5 or so. Thanks for the advice! I guess the gauge will hold steady as well. I noticed the hour meter only works with the volt gauge circuit completed. Found that interesting too.

Thanks again.

Tuneup

You said that the battery measured crazy as well. Your DMM can't find the proper range, I expect. If you lock the range, it should measure OK. Unusual that measuring across the battery would be unstable. Can you lock range on the DMM? Always comforting to have an analog gauge around. Tells so much more...

Texas Todd

I dont think the harbor freight gimme has any settings. The calibration is suspect as well, I would guess. 

squonk

Digital meters can also pick up interference from a running engine like from a mag ect. I have top grade meters at work and sometimes around VF drives I get weird readings. Old trusty Simpson meter wouldn't be bothered but it's a tank to haul around.

Texas Todd

Well good to know. I picked up a low end analog and it worked fine. Thanks again!

Tuneup

Great! Next you can get the Harbor Freight compression gauge and think that your engine is shot. Incredibly inaccurate. They have some good 'stuff' but buyer beware.

Texas Todd
没有狗屎
  • Like 1